• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lidl Binoculars (1 Viewer)

richt

Hi

Just a quick heads up for UK members
Once again Lidl (budget supermarket) are about to offer cheap 10 x 50 binoculars as of 22nd February
These look a lot like the Meade and Bresser previous offerings but have the logo "Rocktrail" on the housing this time
If they are indeed another re-incarnation of the past offerings they are likely to be nearer 10 x 40 actual and probably close focus around 20feet but are coated bak 4 and 6.5 degree fov
I have owned 2 pairs and though somewhat agricultural in build rather than elegant they do have decent optics and clarity
£13.99 this time around do look through a pair or two for better samples and look out for collimation and close focus

Regards
RichT

I examined these briefly in the shop this morning.
Liked the view, I mean for £14 it's really most excellent, far far better than the other few cheap bins I once owned. Eye relief fine. Close focus must be a little more that 20ft.
Easy diopter adjustment on right eyepiece, and felt light weight overall.
Quite a reasonable case they come in too.

Didn't like the rubberised finish at all, which is just short of sandpaper the way it causes a sticky type of friction with the skin.
They don't come with a strap for the binoculars themselves (at least the two pairs I examined didn't).
Had problems with the second pair getting the eyepieces close enough for my eyes which are quite close together.
The eyepieces were rather uncomfortable against my eye-sockets too.
Uncertain about the centre focus wheel, on the first one I checked, after about 10 turns it seemed to loosen and have a bit of give. On the second one, the wheel was pretty much OK, but I was doubtful about it lasting.

Didn't buy a pair. Call me picky.

WE popped into Lidl ad eneded up buying one of the bags they had on offer for £2.99
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_8369.htm
The one which is a "bumbag" it is excellent size for carrying our video recorder in the main secton of it and there is even 2 spare pockets one even has a key clip and mobile phone compartment and the small compartment in front for other bits and bobs, it is really well finished off and as a bonus you even get a water bottle with it. Ian got the multi tool as well which he is very impressed with.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_8362.htm

Last edited:
Wearing mine now Charleybird! Comfy and padded too. Got the watch. Compass is fine, thermometer reads from sensor at back, so all wrapped up I'm a warm 83f!

I got the £5.99 - 10x25 pocket bins to chuck in the glovebox of the car. Surprisingly good image through them and so much better than fuming about not having a pair as the day wasn't a birding day:) They'll also stop people always wanting to borrow my main pair when we are out 'en familie'

I bought a couple of pairs of the Lidl (Meade) 10x50s a couple of years ago when they were £9.99, and for that price they are brilliant as a "spare" pair.

I keep one pair in my car boot as an "emergency" pair, along with a £26 Aldi scope and a 7-day-shop £11 tripod. It means I don't have to worry about leaving expensive kit in the car and I've always got something to hand should I need it.

Just a heads up that Lidl are doing the £14.99 binoculars again, should be in store now, they're not the Bresser/Meade ones but branded 'Rocktrail' - Got myself a pair, imagewise seems very similar to the Bressers they did before, though I find the dioptre adjustment very stiff on my example.

Well worth buying for a beginner birder, spare pair or maybe a pair for the car!

(apologies for posting this in the Aldi thread by mistake, mods feel free to delete that post)

Go to the Great Yarmouth branch and you should be able to try them out on the dozens of Waxwings in the trees outside the store.;) Unless they have cleared off in the appalling weather here at the moment.

Close focus isn't great on mine, can't quite focus on the bird feeder in the garden which is about 8-10 metres away, but surprisingly clear otherwise. However not had much of a chance to try them out today as it's been very wet and quite dark here so mostly tested looking out of a rather grubby and rain-streaked lounge window!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back