• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed re: stay-on case please!! (1 Viewer)

Bernard the cat

I recently bought an ATS 80HD from Warehouse Express but returned it because there seemed to be a problem with the optics (the background view 'shimmered' when you looked at what you were focused on). Another thing that I noticed was that the focus wheel rubbed against the stay-on case when you moved it round, making a really annoying noise. Does anyone have any advice on this, i.e. did I just have a duff stay-on case (as well as a duff scope by the looks of it!), or have other people experienced this?? I'm thinking of getting another ATS 80HD, though am slightly put off by the problem with the stay-on case - seems a shame that such a good scope is let down by something like this. Advice please??!!

Many thanks

My SOC is just as well. It's a pretty design but not very practical. Apart from the rubbing, I find the zip causes the rotation lock nut to loosen which I find a real pain. Nor do I find the full length zip of the eyepiece cover any use at all. I just use the press-studs and even one of them had to be replaced when it came adrift.

The Swaro case keeps the scope clean but I think is way over priced and not as practical as alternative designs which likely give more protection to the scope - which I figure is the main purpose of using a SOC!!!

The scope itself is fine, I haven't seen anything to beat it for clarity of view.

My Swaro stay on case is the same, I cured it by carefully trimming the zip edge back with very sharp scissors

I only got the case as it was a 1/2 price offer but I've found it's more trouble than it's worth & as for protection if you knock or drop your scope I don't think a thin case would make much difference anyway

Regards Bish. :t:

ocelot said:
I recently bought an ATS 80HD from Warehouse Express but returned it because there seemed to be a problem with the optics (the background view 'shimmered' when you looked at what you were focused on). Another thing that I noticed was that the focus wheel rubbed against the stay-on case when you moved it round, making a really annoying noise. Does anyone have any advice on this, i.e. did I just have a duff stay-on case (as well as a duff scope by the looks of it!), or have other people experienced this?? I'm thinking of getting another ATS 80HD, though am slightly put off by the problem with the stay-on case - seems a shame that such a good scope is let down by something like this. Advice please??!!

Many thanks

Hi, my ats hd 65 stay on case also rubs, but it is not a problem (it lets others in the hide know when you focus on something!) as for the shimmering, are you sure it is not heat haze (over a long distance?)
the london camera exchange case has a lift up flap where the focus wheel is.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back