• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

End of February in Extremadura - GS Cuckoo (1 Viewer)

stefano t63

Hi all

I am going to spend the last week of February in Extremadura. A part from resident and wintering species, I am wondering if there is a chance to see GS Cuckoo. In such a case, an indication of some good spots to find this species around Truijllo or Caceres area would be very welcome.
Thanks, Stefano

GS Cuckoo is normally back end of Januari ( but until now I missed them...).
You can expect them in open terrrains where (normal) Magpies are present,
the trick is follow the Magpies!
In the Trujillo plains are good opportunities, better is the environment of Arrocampo.
Good luck, henk

I have seen them in the public Dehesas west of Plasencia (a town called Montehermoso has a rather large Magpie population and along with it a GSCk one, along with normal Cukoo; the towns public dehesa is huge, beautiful and very good for birding)

Great Spotted Cuckoo

I've already had one (16th Jan) this year near Barcelona so they're sure to have started arriving further south. This is very early even for us though, as most arrive through March with some coming in late February.

They arrive early of course as they have to time their breeding cycle with that of the Magpie which, like most resident species, breed earlier than migrants. As has been mentioned looking (and listening) for Magpie activity is a start. They often perch inside open bushes/trees (almond, tamarisk) as if, like children putting their hands over their eyes, they think they can't be seen! Useful to learn the call too before you go.

GS Cuckoos also favour the hairy procession moth caterpillar (the male offering one to the female and refusing to let go until they've mated, a ritual that I was lucky enough to observe twice last year). These caterpillars in turn favour a particular kind of pine tree, the name of which escapes me but I'm sure you can google it then look out for them whilst you're there.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back