• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth remewing my norton antivirus? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
My norton anti virus expires in 19 days, not sure I can be bothered to fork out £50 odd to renew it...is it worth taking the risk without it or should I just play safe and stump up?

Matt

There are free alternatives, but I've always gone with a pay version. Norton, McAfee, or Zone Alarm. I like using the software from companies like the ones I mentioned who are on the cutting edge of the technology, but in order to do that you have to pay. I guess it depends on how much you use your computer and what you do with it. I'm sure in many cases the free alternatives would work out just fine.

I would download the Free Edition of AVG, turn off Norton and run that for the next fortnight to see how you get on. Personally I have found Norton to be a resource hog, and a serious pain when testing the internet suite it offers.

Matt, if you're going to remove Norton don't forget to do it thoroughly with the Norton Removal Tool and maybe a trusted registry cleaner.

In UK, Barclays bank customers who have registered for internet banking can now get Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 free for a year (might prompt a few folk who've been teetering).

I use Zonealarms Internet Security suite and find that very good value and effective. Got a 3 year licence for around $50.00 so about half of what Norton costs for a year.
Downloaded from the net and then just paid up for the licence key, couldn't be simpler.

If by any chance you use Barclays Internet Banking, have a look at my new thread entitled "Free Kaspersky Internet Security"

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back