• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which one - Canon Prime 400mm F5.6 or canon 100 - 400 IS L (1 Viewer)

You wont regret getting the 400, I got this shot of a song thrush on my first day out with the lens. Its been cropped, resized and compressed but it still shows how incredibly fast the autofocus can lock onto moving targets.

Attachments

• song thrush web.jpg
    song thrush web.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 323
Wow, if I get shots as good as that, Kevin, I'll be very happy indeed.

Just a comment how far you can push the 400 mm f 5.6 and still get reasonable shots - the photograph of a Pine Martin below was taken on an old 350D body and the 400 lens, it was taken in the very dark Bielowieza Forest, it was late evening and raining. As a consequence light was awful - I had to hike it up to ISO 1600 (which is not perfect on that body) and even then could only use 1/60th second speed. The animal was in the canopy above my head and the shot was handheld, pointing directly upwards. Considering all, I would say I am happy with this picture.

Picture two, of the shrike, was in much better light this weekend, but from my slowly moving car.

Attachments

• Pine Martin, bielowieza 1.jpg
    Pine Martin, bielowieza 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Red-backed Shrike female.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike female.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 310
Those pics are certainly a lot better than those I can get with my Sigma 170-500mm (which I use on a Nikon D80 - both of which I'll be selling to fund the purchase of a Canon 40D to go with my 20D once I get my new lens).

I'm getting a little twitchy in case the 400mm f/5.6 suddenly stop being made or sell out before I can get one! ;) :-O
My bank loan should go in over the weekend so I am going to order one in the next couple of days. B :)

Those pics are certainly a lot better than those I can get with my Sigma 170-500mm (which I use on a Nikon D80 - both of which I'll be selling to fund the purchase of a Canon 40D to go with my 20D once I get my new lens).

I'm getting a little twitchy in case the 400mm f/5.6 suddenly stop being made or sell out before I can get one! ;) :-O
My bank loan should go in over the weekend so I am going to order one in the next couple of days. B :)

Check with Ian Kerr, I got mine from him this week best price UK I think.
[email protected]

Jos ,

when shooting outside in low light you often get a blue cast with slow shutter speeds. I lifted your image (hope you don't mind) went to levels and clicked on blue scale on RGB and slid the left-hand slider to the right to get 34, mid tone 0.78 and right hand 255. I imagine many who use the canon 100-400 (I know yours on this occasion was the prime) may get this a lot and have not figured it out and blame the lens. Others may have be able to improve it further. Unfortunately I don't have all the bells and whistles...but I'm cool about that.:t:

Attachments

• Pine%20Martin%2C%20bielowieza%201 Jos.jpg
    Pine%20Martin%2C%20bielowieza%201 Jos.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 200
Jos, nice pics ,...when you say 'my slowly moving car'...were you driving it?:smoke:

Guilty, I frequently do this. I have found that stopping often causes the bird to fly, but slowly cruising past, it just sits there ...so steer with your knee, hold the lens in position in advance and click click click as you pass. Technique not recommended on the M25. etc ;)

Below picture done the same way.

Attachments

• white-tailed eagles, voke.jpg
    white-tailed eagles, voke.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 215
You wont regret getting the 400, I got this shot of a song thrush on my first day out with the lens. Its been cropped, resized and compressed but it still shows how incredibly fast the autofocus can lock onto moving targets.

Image attached snapped today with the slow Canon 100-400 zoom not much crop. I admit the settings were wrong for the shot since I was prepared for a different shot:-C. I've done peregrines for the last three years and the lens does the job;)...peregrines are pretty fast!:t: as is the focus on my zoom :king:which others would have you believe works with a hand winding mechanism:'D:'D:'D

Attachments

• Black redstart and juv peregrine  18th &.19th July 08 122.jpg
    Black redstart and juv peregrine 18th &.19th July 08 122.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 238
My own newly-ordered 400/5.6 has arrived and is sitting at home, waiting for my return. At some point, I'll do an A/B with the 100-400 and the 300/4 + TC. Long term, I think the 300/4L IS will be going on sale soon after.

Vandit.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back