• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will sigma lens fit canon eos ?? (1 Viewer)

Shell

I have two Sigma lens' , one is AF-MF 70-300mm zoom lens, the other is AF-MF 28-80mm , will these lens' fit and work well with the canon EOS digital SLR cameras ?

It depends on the age of the lenses. Even then it may be possible to have them 'rechipped', as long as they're Canon fit, of course.

I borrowed an older Sigma lens a couple of months ago and on taking the first photo, I had a error code in the LCD. I switched off and restarted the camera and everything was OK. I have read that if you get 'error 99' this indicates that it needs rechipping.

Hey Diane , thanks for replying . I bought the lens' with a Minolta camera back in 2001. So does this mean it would need to be rechipped ? I don't even know what that means actually :( I guess I'll have to read up on that. Thanks alot !!

I'm not sure if a Minolta fitting is the same as a Canon, therefore it may not fit at all, rechipping or not. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Rechipping is, as far as I understand, something to do with the lens contacts. Sigma need to install new code to make it compatible with the newer cameras. On the Canon photography forum some people have said that they were charged and others have had it done for free. You would need to ring the nearest service centre and ask them for some advice as to the compatibility of the lens and camera you intend to buy.

A Minolta fit is certainly not compatable with an EOS mount, I'm afraid. Substantial work by Sigma engineers may be able to change it to an EOS fit, but even if this is possible you could be looking at a big price.

I have a feeling Minolta are about to release a digital slr (with built-in image stabiliser), so this may be an option rather than buying Canon.

Thanks so much Diane. I'll do just that. I have a couple of really great camera stores around here.I appreciate the help !!!!!

Well hey there Andy :) Thanks for stepping in for me. I see what you mean by the fit now. I'll check into that, buy like you said, it's probably got a pretty penny on that .

EOS - fit lenses also need the focus-motor and aperture-motor built into the lens so converting another camera-fit without a motor would be more or less impossible.

As a general rule on Sigma lenses for Canon EOS mount cameras, current new lenses should all fit OK.

If you've had a 'current' lens for several years (probably before the introduction of the EOS 30) then it should be easy to get it re-chipped.

If you have a discontinued lens then you can only get it re-chipped if Sigma have any new chips left for your particular model.

Either way, contacting the Sigma distributor for your own country is the best option - the UK ones, in particular, were very friendly and helpful when I contacted them.

Adey, that's a good idea calling on Sigma themselves. Thanks so much for the info. And helping me understand the mechanisms & such !

Shell said:
I have two Sigma lens' , one is AF-MF 70-300mm zoom lens, the other is AF-MF 28-80mm , will these lens' fit and work well with the canon EOS digital SLR cameras ?

I had a Sigma 170-500mm and later a 135-400mm, both worked well with Canon 10D, D30 and D60, but they all had Canon mount.

I doubt, it would be economical to have your lenses modified, you can buy fairly cheap s/h Sigma lenses made for Canon mount.

Cheers
Joe

Just posting as an add on to shell's question.....I've got a Canon EOS Elan II, and was looking into getting a sigma fisheye for it. Anybody know if it will fit?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back