• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 2x teleconverter for use with Canon 400mm f5.6 (1 Viewer)

Birdman7 - what is your impression of the Canon Mk3 extenders vs the Mk2 ones? Most people seem to think that for the 1.4x one the Mk3 and Mk2 are pretty similar in terms of IQ. But I have heard that for the 2x model, the Mk3 model is certainly an improvement over the Mk2 version. Would you agree with that?

Also seen people say that the Mk3 extenders are especially good with the new Mk2 big Canon primes (500mm IS Mk2 and 600mm IS Mk2). However, I only have the 400mm f5.6 prime. Would I still see the advantages of the Mk3 extenders over the MK2 versions?

Hi Nick,

been using the 2XIII wth the 70-200LF2.8II on the 5d3 today and can say AF is pretty snappy and IQ is very good. Iv never used a 2XII. My friend who owns the 5d3 commented that in terms of AF acquisition, it felt as if the 2X wasn't attached, which was impressive.

With the 1.4X extenders I did notice one interesting thing when coupled with the 400L F5.6 on the 1d4. AFservo acquisition was slower on the mkII.

I did a rough test focusing on AFservo behind a wall a few metres ahead, and upon focusing back on the wall which had good texture and contrast, it hunted slightly back and forth before locking focus, the hunting was short-lived about a second, but noticeable. On the 1.4III this didnt happen at all and focus was instantaneous without hunting.

I also noticed, that on shooting gulls on the coast today in dark, windy conditions, with the 400L F5.6 attached to the 1d4 (F8), the 1.4II would loose focus and hunt frequently, focusing on the background sea and back on the bird. However, when the 1.4III was attached, AFservo performance was much more precise and would not loose focus so wildly or hunt aimlessly. It would if you deliberately pointed away from the bird but hardly ever on it. AFservo tracking speed was set to low for both extenders on the 1d4 custom functions.

Will be posting something definite next week once the weather improves.

Birdman7 - what is your impression of the Canon Mk3 extenders vs the Mk2 ones? Most people seem to think that for the 1.4x one the Mk3 and Mk2 are pretty similar in terms of IQ. But I have heard that for the 2x model, the Mk3 model is certainly an improvement over the Mk2 version. Would you agree with that?

Also seen people say that the Mk3 extenders are especially good with the new Mk2 big Canon primes (500mm IS Mk2 and 600mm IS Mk2). However, I only have the 400mm f5.6 prime. Would I still see the advantages of the Mk3 extenders over the MK2 versions?
If you are going for a 2x tc I would consider the Canon MkIII but for a 1.4x tc with your set-up there would be very little difference between the MkII and MkIII. I would personally go with a Kenko Pro 1.4x DGX which will be as good as either of the Canon's on a crop Camera and you will not even have to tape the pins. Another advantage of the kenko is that you can use it with almost any other lens whereas a Canon will only fit some of the Canon lenses (I use a Kenko with a Canon macro lens - the Canon converters will not fit!!!).
Its your money at the end of the day so if you feel you must get a Canon then the best of luck but you will not see any difference from a Kenko with your set-up that's for sure.

From my own tests with a Canon 1.4x MkII v Kenko Pro 1.4x (with a Canon 300/2.8 IS MkI and 400/5.6) I found that the Canon was sharper on the edges but the Kenko was best in the centre although not much in it either way.

Another test I tried with the 7D + 300/2.8 was stacked Canon 1.4x + Kenko Pro 1.4x v a Canon 2x MkII - surprisingly there was very little in it IQ wise, there are those who prefer stacked 1.4's because they will AF a little faster than a 2x although I did not really test this.

If I was getting a new Canon supertele MkII I would certainly go for Canon MkIII converters.

Yellow-legged Gull

Just a quick post of a Yellow-legged Gull taken here in GibraƖtar yesterday on a dark, stormy day, handheld and fighting with the high winds, with a Canon EOS 1d4, EF400L F5.6 & Canon 1.4III extender at ISO3200 1/1600 @ F8 using rear-focus AFservo

Regards

Attachments

• Yellow-ledged-Gull-iso3200.jpg
    Yellow-ledged-Gull-iso3200.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 285
Birdman7's excellent Stork photo with the Canon 2x III extender and 400mm f5.6 is taken on a full frame sensor body (1D Mk4). People often say that IQ with 2xIII and 400mm f5.6 on a crop sensor camera (eg a 7D) will be less good.

Any comments?

I'd be interested to hear what Birdman7's results are like with his 7D coupled to 2xIII and 400mm f5.6.

Birdman7's excellent Stork photo with the Canon 2x III extender and 400mm f5.6 is taken on a full frame sensor body (1D Mk4). People often say that IQ with 2xIII and 400mm f5.6 on a crop sensor camera (eg a 7D) will be less good.

Any comments?

I'd be interested to hear what Birdman7's results are like with his 7D coupled to 2xIII and 400mm f5.6.

1d mark 4 is not a full frame body

OK, didn't realise the 1D4 is a 1.3x crop sensor. Nevertheless, I'd be keen to hear how Birdman7's 7D performs with the 2xIII and 400/f5.6 as regards IQ (cos I have a 7D!),

7d, 400L F5.6

I will be making the long awaited photos with the 7d this week as the weather has been bad here lately which is unusual. Good weather for the rest of the week. Stay tuned.

Il leave you with a sample of a 7d & 400L F5.6 WITHOUT extender

Attachments

• Stork_7d_400II.jpg
    Stork_7d_400II.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
7d, 400L F5.6

A photo of a Marsh Harrier taken this weekend on a 7d & EF400L F5.6 - 1/2000 F9 ISO800 TV mode EV+1/3 handheld.

Regards.

Attachments

• Marsh harrier f7d.jpg
    Marsh harrier f7d.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 227
Birdman - I'm still very interested in seeing some of your pictures taken on the 7D with 400/f5.6 and the Mk3 2x teleconverter, if you have managed to take some. Interested to know whether image quality is better with the Mk3 2x converter compared to the Mk2 2x converter. Cheers, Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back