• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified bird call/song from Surrey, England (1 Viewer)

jimmymac2

Naturalist
Hello everyone,

This bird was calling from a high point in a tree in lakeside Alder carr today (18th April 2017) at 16:45. There is a reedbed nearby as is some flooded Oak woodland and a river. The video was recorded in Hedgecourt Surrey Wildlife Trust reserve just north of the Surrey/Sussex border. Despite calling/singing like this repetitively for quite a while, I was unable to locate the bird that was producing the sound.

It has been suggested that this is a very early nestling. It sounded like a very high-pitched Chiffchaff going at triple speed. The closest match that I can find is Goldcrest however the match there is not perfect. I have been through most UK birds however I cannot find one that sounds similar - therefore I suspect that it is probably a young bird.

There were plenty of Chiffchaffs singing nearby along with a male Blackcap. Both Blue Tits and Long-tailed Tits were around too, and the video was recorded not too far from where I suspect both Wrens and Robins are nesting.

I would greatly appreciate any help with the ID - it has really puzzled me and several others!

Here is the link to the video, which I hope works:
https://t.co/261bDrzlrT

Thanks,
James

Hi,

My first thought was Goldcrest, although as you say, it doesn't sound like the typical song. The only other other possibility I can think of is a Great Tit (notoriously variable in their range of calls), but the song seems too long, not the usual short bursts of song. It will be interesting to see what others come up with.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back