• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid Focuser Position Criticisms Baffling (1 Viewer)

dwever

Wading in to the weeds this morning: So I keep running in to reviews and users issuing dislike regarding the focuser placement on the NVD.

From March 2017, "I was not attracted by the Leica Noctivid design (double bridge, focuser position, Swarovision shape and price), and really wanted to try the 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus since it has a reputation of being Leica´s best glass (before the Noctivid came out). http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/a...hootoutpremier7x42s/shootoutpremier7x42s.html

Is this something effecting people with smaller hands? I find focuser placement within an eighth to a quarter of an inch of being perfect as evidenced by the photos below. Certainly present no challenges in one handed focusing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.37.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.37.17 AM.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.36.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.36.49 AM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.42.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.42.33 AM.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Wading in to the weeds this morning: So I keep running in to reviews and users issuing dislike regarding the focuser placement on the NVD.

From March 2017, "I was not attracted by the Leica Noctivid design (double bridge, focuser position, Swarovision shape and price), and really wanted to try the 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus since it has a reputation of being Leica´s best glass (before the Noctivid came out). http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/a...hootoutpremier7x42s/shootoutpremier7x42s.html

Is this something effecting people with smaller hands? I find focuser placement within an eighth to a quarter of an inch of being perfect as evidenced by the photos below. Certainly present no challenges in one handed focusing.

Hi D

Your middle photo illustrates exactly why I am not in love with Nvid's focus wheel position. Your fingers might be comfortable for you but I dislike having to crank my first finger over as you are doing for it to land on the focuser. Of course I can detach my other fingers from around the optical tube and move my hand up towards the focuser so that my first finger lands on it without having to distort sideways. But then I have lost the benefit of the open hinge and might just as well have bought an Ultravid, at least as far as handling goes. I could live with this position but its an opportunity lost by Leica and it explains why I prefer Zeiss's SF along with its fov advantage.

Lee

When I (briefly) handled and looked through a pair, I was not aware of any problem with the lug placement.

Some demonstrate their "expertise" by finding fault, rather than by evaluating.

Hi Dwever,

Personally I do find the focus wheel a little further back than ideal, but my main gripe is with the position of the strap lug, I`v put up a similar picture of me with the SVFP, the strap lug does not interfere with my grip on the SV.

When the optics are as good as these two, and the SF its the little things like personal comfort that matter most IMHO.

Attachments

• P1020379.jpg
    P1020379.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 152
Hi D
Your middle photo illustrates exactly why I am not in love with Nvid's focus wheel position. Your fingers might be comfortable for you but I dislike having to crank my first finger over as you are doing for it to land on the focuser. Of course I can detach my other fingers from around the optical tube and move my hand up towards the focuser so that my first finger lands on it without having to distort sideways. But then I have lost the benefit of the open hinge and might just as well have bought an Ultravid, at least as far as handling goes. I could live with this position but its an opportunity lost by Leica and it explains why I prefer Zeiss's SF along with its fov advantage.
Lee

Yeah, I figured the index finger in the first picture would get called out. My point would be that for me anyway, none of that even occurred to me until I read a concern on a review. The picture below is how I hold the most I believe, and my index finger just easily lands on the wheel with no effort because the spread is minimal, but I only have two fingers around the barrel which does not matter - these are only like 30 ounces.

Hi Dwever,
Personally I do find the focus wheel a little further back than ideal, but my main gripe is with the position of the strap lug, I`v put up a similar picture of me with the SVFP, the strap lug does not interfere with my grip on the SV.
When the optics are as good as these two, and the SF its the little things like personal comfort that matter most IMHO.

I agree, it is a little further back than ideal if the spread Lee mentions is an issue. My grab it in the car grip when I was LE was either the small spread Lee doesn't like, or the two fingers more often is below. Very natural for me. I just thought it was the most comfortable thing in the world, but maybe I was too attentive to penetrating an oncoming car's cabin with the binoculars and seeing if the driver coming down the hill had their seat belt on :). My first alpha LE glass were Zeiss apparently indestructible 7x50 Marines.

No problems for me with the NV's ergonomics. This, like any other problem mentioned in relation to the NV, wasn't even thought about until I read about it on here. I never hold them with only one hand anyway, so finding a natural comfortable grip is child's play. With my 7x42 UVHD+ I like to use both the 1st and 2nd finger on the focus wheel, but the smoothness of the NV's focus wheel would render this redundant, even if it were possible.

Well said.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.45.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.45.02 AM.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.01.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.01.08 AM.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
No problems for me with the NV's ergonomics. This, like any other problem mentioned in relation to the NV, wasn't even thought about until I read about it on here. I never hold them with only one hand anyway, so finding a natural comfortable grip is child's play. With my 7x42 UVHD+ I like to use both the 1st and 2nd finger on the focus wheel, but the smoothness of the NV's focus wheel would render this redundant, even if it were possible.

I don't think I would have commented on Nvid's handling either if I had never picked up an SF. There are many more factors to consider than this kind of stuff when choosing between binos but like Torview has said, when the optics are as close in overall performance as Leica, Zeiss and Swaro are, aspects such as handling assume a greater importance.

Lee

Hey Doug,
I really don't get that excited over things such as this. I don't always understand some of it, but don't worry about it. As long as binocular isn't TOO heavy, has nice optics, and has a nice focus adjustment, I'm pretty happy. I've never found that much of a difference in handling of various 42mm binoculars including the top group. So it seems it's a personal preference thing which I just don't worry about!;) Many have their own preferences for whatever reason which they are entitled. I'm pretty easy going in this regard and that includes focus placement.

I've used the Noctivid 10X42 for hours at the time, no issues. None. Zero. Nada. With anything. Hand placement, "handling," focus adjustment, lug position, whatever. In the place of Noctivid I could also have typed Ultravid HD +, SV, SLC, FL, EDG II, HT, and SF. Now do I think the placement of the focus adjustment on the Noctivid is OPTIMAL? No I don't. IMO several binoculars have it in a better position which would have been a little more toward the objective end. But that doesn't mean the Nocitvid's focuser is in a BAD position. Once you use a particular binocular for a while and get used to its focus location AND it's other nice features one tends to quickly forget that it's focus location isn't in the optimal position! ;)

The ergonomics was the single reason I didn't buy the NV:s. With my IPD settings there is not enough space between the barrels to fit my fingers (even worse with gloves). And with the focuser so close to the oculars they felt more unstable to hold.

Last edited:
I really don't get that excited over things such as this.

Even the makers of alpha optics can only build for the average user. Also, new stuff can be uncomfortable (bike seats, shoes, etc). If the Noctivid was the only binocular on the planet, a month or two of use and we wouldn't even notice

I don`t think there`s a need to adapt to the NV when there are alternatives available, I have quite a wide ipd at 71mm and I too found the gap between the barrels too narrow to get my fingers in as easily as the SV/SF.

I think Lee makes an excellent point that Leica missed an opportunity with the ergonomics on the NV, Swarovski kind of started the design with the EL, Zeiss picked it up and genuinely improved the balance and handling, I think its fair to say the SF is the finest handling Alpha right now and I would`nt be surprised if Swarovski look very closely at it for the next EL.

I don`t think there`s a need to adapt to the NV when there are alternatives available, I have quite a wide ipd at 71mm and I too found the gap between the barrels too narrow to get my fingers in as easily as the SV/SF.

I think Lee makes an excellent point that Leica missed an opportunity with the ergonomics on the NV, Swarovski kind of started the design with the EL, Zeiss picked it up and genuinely improved the balance and handling, I think its fair to say the SF is the finest handling Alpha right now and I would`nt be surprised if Swarovski look very closely at it for the next EL.

Hi John
I think its no coincidence that Gerold Dobler lead the team that created the original EL and also the team that created SF, and he is a dedicated birder and nature observer.

Lee

I supposed I hold every binocular the same. Below are some pics of me with various binoculars randomly chosen(other than the Noctivid) holding them as in use in the field. No adaptation necessary or second thought required.... pictures in order hopefully; Kowa Genesis 8.5X44, Noctivid 8X42, UV HD + 8X42, and SV 8.5X42.

Side note: Two things quickly stood out to me. No DOUBT the UVHD + "felt" the best. No DOUBT the Pro Field SV armoring is in a class of it's own.

Attachments

• IMG_01091.JPG
    IMG_01091.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_01121.JPG
    IMG_01121.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 105
No DOUBT the Pro Field SV armoring is in a class of it's own.

Hi Chuck, my feeling as well, not sure what they`ve done but to me it doesn`t feel like something the tubes are wrapped in, but like gripping the barrels themselves, also, and this may just be me, but I find its actually just as grippy when wet.

Side note: Two things quickly stood out to me. No DOUBT the UVHD + "felt" the best. No DOUBT the Pro Field SV armoring is in a class of it's own.

I finally got to see the SV Field Pro in the store recently. I looked at the 8x32 and yes, the armor is really beautiful and the best there is IMO. I always liked the armor on the Ultravid, but the SV is even better which was a bit surprising...it's simply luxurious. Focus was nice too. All around...very nice !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back