• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics To Close (2 Viewers)

Could partial be tied to Vortex/Nikon/new quality upscale bins, short on advertising cost/overhead, sold online below comparative performance bins price.

My Viper 8.5x50 has worked fine, was made in Japan and I think I paid $300 as a discontinued model. At the most $350 I've slept since then. FOV 305' is tight though it is a nice flat view that to these eyes exhibit no field curvature. Everything is in focus. The 15x56 Vulture isn't as nice as me 20x56 MV, but for just under 400 clams it performs very nicely. At that price I see no competition.

I tried to find something to buy at EO though most of what I looked at was around 20% off of MSRP and in reality little savings compared to other vendors. Other bins that looked interesting have been out for seven years or so and are overpriced against newer offerings. Not bad bins just not the value they were once or at the "discounted" level now.

As much as I enjoy the Celestron M2 scope I've no interest in their bins. Especially w/o customer service. Your better name bins are going to take care of you regardless. I spent many hours perusing their wares and I bought a bin from them. They are nice and helpful folks. I'm sorry they're rolling up the sidewalks, closing the shutters.

I live 5 miles from EO and have been purchasing OTC from them for about 25 years. As far as I know, their B&M store is still open, at least until recently. I last visited it about a year ago.

Nikon did indeed drop them, at least two years ago.

I also think that this is mostly due to Vortex focusing upon their core business and finding that running a discount on-line store was not part of that. Wild Birds Unlimited is also closely associated to EO and Vortex, usually matching EO prices. The first EO actually ran out of the back of Wild Birds Unlimited here in Madison.

I picked up their last Pentax Papilio II 6.5x21 two days ago. Been meaning to grab one for a while now.

I was on-line earlier today at Cabela's browsing optics. I noticed the selection of binoculars has significantly decreased from what has been available in the past. I suspect this is the effect of Bass-Pro ownership. Like EO, I believe the Cabela's I've grown to known and love is history. :C :C Looks like it is down to Adorama and B&H for optics.

CG

CG ... I was at Cabela's a couple of weeks ago and the optics rep told me the Bass Pro deal had not closed and that all is still running as Cabela's.

Huntiing season has begun and that is a busy time for optic sales, especially at a store like Cabela's. Maybe they are just sold out at the moment on some models. They did have a 10% coupon over Labor day and are currently transitioning to a new armoriing of the Euro. All most all of the Euros were gone when I was there a couple of weeks ago as only one model of the new style had arrived. Time will till if what you saw was temporary or a change is direction.

I am with you. I hope it remains the Cabela's that we have had in the past.

Bruce,

Not an in store thing; selection was always more extensive on-line. Here is a small sample of some of what I noticed was not available (meaning not out of stock but no longer listed on the web page): anything Leica Ultravid (or Noctovid but don't think they ever offered the Noctovid), anything Zeiss SF or HT, no Zeiss 8x32 conquest HD, no Zeiss compact; no Cabelas Euro HD/Meopta 42mm (think it has been clearanced), not much Leupold.... this doesn't look to promising to me. Now just lots of inexpensive house brand and other inexpensive brand glass (Bushnell & Vortex & Nikon) and then Swaro.

CG

Bruce,

Not an in store thing; selection was always more extensive on-line. Here is a small sample of some of what I noticed was not available (meaning not out of stock but no longer listed on the web page): anything Leica Ultravid (or Noctovid but don't think they ever offered the Noctovid), anything Zeiss SF or HT, no Zeiss 8x32 conquest HD, no Zeiss compact; no Cabelas Euro HD/Meopta 42mm (think it has been clearanced), not much Leupold.... this doesn't look to promising to me. Now just lots of inexpensive house brand and other inexpensive brand glass (Bushnell & Vortex & Nikon) and then Swaro.

CG

I agree with you, Cabela's store offerings are much like what I find,
Leica, maybe Trin. HD. Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD, most of the Swaro.
lines. These include the 42mm models, as they are the most popular
ones sold. The Nikon Monarch models, and more.

They often display the Vortex line at top and center, and I have learned
the sales members get a bonus for any Vortex sales. Vortex also pays
the retailers to play, much like a grocery store.

Recently, I received a Cabela's flyer, it was all Leupold. Now today, I
got another Optics catalog, with all the brands.

This time of year, I get more than one each week from them.;)

Jerry

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted on BF (last user ID was affililated with my EO email address, so wasn't easy to regain access to that login). I'm currently working for Bird Watcher's Digest, wearing a lot of different hats. I've been thrilled to have the opportunity to write more about optics in general along with doing a few product reviews, leading a few birding tours, and visiting BirdFair last month. I was sad to hear of EO's closing but I think I have a good understanding of the factors that were in play. They were a great company to work for and really taught me a lot about customer service. Because I'm not affiliated with them any longer though, anything that I would have to add to this discussion would have to be considered speculation. On a related note I'm excited to say that while some independent optics retailers are changing direction or closing shop, I know of at least one new venture that will be cropping up by the end of the year, catering specifically to birdwatchers. I might even be involved in it :) Stay tuned.

Hi Ben,

I am glad to see you doing well and am looking forward to seeing this new venture.

I have recently rewatched some of the eagle optics videos on optical quality, magnification, etc. They are quite informative to the newcomer and you all did a nice job.

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted on BF (last user ID was affililated with my EO email address, so wasn't easy to regain access to that login). I'm currently working for Bird Watcher's Digest, wearing a lot of different hats. I've been thrilled to have the opportunity to write more about optics in general along with doing a few product reviews, leading a few birding tours, and visiting BirdFair last month. I was sad to hear of EO's closing but I think I have a good understanding of the factors that were in play. They were a great company to work for and really taught me a lot about customer service. Because I'm not affiliated with them any longer though, anything that I would have to add to this discussion would have to be considered speculation. On a related note I'm excited to say that while some independent optics retailers are changing direction or closing shop, I know of at least one new venture that will be cropping up by the end of the year, catering specifically to birdwatchers. I might even be involved in it :) Stay tuned.

‘Sure wish I could get a gig writing about optics for them. But, as Pete Dunn once told me:

“Some editors have been reading the same material for so long, they think they have heard it all; they just don’t know what they don’t know.”
:cat:

Bill

‘Sure wish I could get a gig writing about optics for them. But, as Pete Dunn once told me:

“Some editors have been reading the same material for so long, they think they have heard it all; they just don’t know what they don’t know.”
:cat:

Bill

LOL

This is one way of job solliciting;)

Jan

LOL

This is one way of job solliciting;)

Jan

Hey, Jan:

Whatever works. I took Captain’s from 8 binoculars on one shelf of one cabinet, to knocking out a wall for me, laying in astronomy optics and books, contracting with the biggest names in fine optics, importing Cory from Florida, opening a second store, being placed on the board of directors, taking optics to 51% of the revenue without bending the truth for anyone, and making Captain’s a major destination store for optics on the west coast. But, I can’t get a job, even in a local sporting good store; they all like the status quo and making money a new and honorable way is just too hard to grasp. SO, I still try to get a little money, writing. :cat:

Bill

PS Of course, those grapes are sour. But, they ARE my grapes.

Hi Ben,

The day I called and was informed you weren't there anymore, realized EO was not going to be the same w\o your talents...appears I was right. Now, BWD is the lucky winner!! :t:

Great to see you're back on BF, looking forward to your inputs and thoughts on bird watching, optics and general industry developments!

Best wishes to you and the family,

Ted

Not sure what the real reason is that EO closed but Vortex is junk. Each of the 4 binos in the Viper line I bought had out of focus, blackout, cannot move the focuser, glare, etc. Customer service just horrible, they don't know what products they are making, they had no knowledge about it when I had questions, emails never get a reply. I have retuned all of them (did not buy from EO) don't like Vortex at all.

Shamus Terry of Vortex Optics (doesn't have a BF account) responds:

I am really sorry to hear about your experience with Vortex Optics. Really no excuse on our end but needing to get better with the support.

If possible I would like the opportunity to discuss with you the Viper Series and some of the issues you are having. Truly believe we can make this right and get you into an optic that fits your needs.

Please let me know if there is a phone# I can reach you at to discuss, sincere thanks.

Sincerely
Shamus Terry
Vortex Optics
[email protected]
608-335-4486

I noticed yesterday, Thursday, Dec 14th, that there were no items coming up on the Eagle Optics web pages. I called today and they confirmed that they ended internet sales. The original announcement said they would be open till Dec 31st. They will continue to be open for a while to handle any phone calls and service issues. Maybe they will do a phone order on something like a Eagle Optics case, but I failed to ask about that.

I must have been one of the last orders they took as I talked to Adrian on the morning of the 14th. Got a carry case for my 664 and a camera adapter with filter ring and a digiscoping adapter for my phone. Srry to see them go I bought a lot of stuff from them over the years.
Steve

It is tough competing with the huge internet sellers when many binocular manufacturers decide they want to sell their binoculars through them exclusively.

Especially when their own products aren't selling very well off their own web sites.:smoke: It is easier to dump then on Amazon.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back