• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400mm f5.6 with 1.4x tc (1 Viewer)

Here's another, tapped pins so on AF, 450d + 400 + 1.4 kenko, but this time the suns out. No crop handheld
1/2500 f8.0 400 ISO, just a shame his head was not turned to the sun, so no glint in the eye.

Things are shaping up well for Brempton Cliffs on Tuesday.

Attachments

• sparrow1.4+400nocrophandheldbf.jpg
    sparrow1.4+400nocrophandheldbf.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
IQ is certainly equal to the Canon for sharpness. It does have a slight magenta cast in certain lighting but in most cases it's hardly noticeable.

Looking at that pic of the sparrowhawk Ian, I'm definately going to buy a 1.5X one.

Looking at that pic of the sparrowhawk Ian, I'm definately going to buy a 1.5X one.

I checked out the 1.4x 300 Pro and the cheaper 1.5x and the latter produced inferior IQ, probably because the 1.4x has 5 elements and the 1.5x has just 4. I also own a Canon 1.4x and have found no real discernable difference between the two so far but have yet to compare it in low light conditions.

It's worth shoping around as the 1.4x 300 Pro can be had for almost the same price as the 1.5x.

And fixable in Photoshop (or similar program) I daresay.

Yep! That's all it takes and then only in dull conditions. When it's bright no colour cast is visible. I'm with Christine in that the 1.5x is as sharp as the 1.4x from both Canon and Kenko. Each to their own though.

I picked up my 400mm f5.6 today - can't wait to try it out!
Enjoy, its a great lens :t:. Remember to keep the shutter speed up esp. if hand holding. And don't make the same mistake as me by sticking a cheapish filter on (I have not used a filter on the lens since)

Last edited:
I picked up my 400mm f5.6 today - can't wait to try it out!

Best of luck with yours, this might wet your appetite Brempton Cliffs Gannets to-day

Attachments

• gannetheadbf.JPG
    gannetheadbf.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 104
  • gannetnestheadbf.jpg
    gannetnestheadbf.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 92
  • gannetfacecrop.jpg
    gannetfacecrop.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Enjoy, its a great lens :t:. Remember to keep the shutter speed up esp. if hand holding. And don't make the same mistake as me by sticking a cheapish filter on.

I decided to spend £55 on a Hoya Pro Skylight filter, thinking that as I'd spent a lot of dosh on a lens it was no point putting a cheap filter in front of it.

Terry, what super pix! I'm looking forward to using my lens and the results I'm hoping to get from it!

Yep! That's all it takes and then only in dull conditions. When it's bright no colour cast is visible. I'm with Christine in that the 1.5x is as sharp as the 1.4x from both Canon and Kenko. Each to their own though.

Anyone in doubt about the sharpness of the 1.5x teleconverer this was taken hand held about 30 mins ago with the Canon 400mm f5,6+Kenko 1.5x DG MC AF teleconverter. Bright conditions but lightly overcast. No processing other than cropped and resized. Taken from around 40yds. In hindsight I should have had the Canon 1.4x with me to compare side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_0047a.JPG
    IMG_0047a.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 219
Very nice shots from Ian and terry, good luck with your new lens Vectis Birder.
I've got a couple of tern shots in my gallery that im quite pleased with, as they're my first proper attempts with the new lens at BIF.

I was advised not to use a filter,another bit of glass, the hood will protect it, famous last words.
I took about 400 raw images, lots and lots of keepers, so just ordered a 160gb
hard drive to keep my pics on, my laptop is just about to give up the ghost, only £40 from Malaysia.

I decided to spend £55 on a Hoya Pro Skylight filter, thinking that as I'd spent a lot of dosh on a lens it was no point putting a cheap filter in front of it.
Do try the lens with and without the filter as I reckon even a Hoya pro degrades the image - I have one for my 17-40 f4 and it does not appear to effect the IQ but stick the same filter on the 400 f5.6 and there is a definite IQ degradation.
Never use one on the 400 myself.

I agree with Roy, some filters on a lens sometimes show faint diagonal lines, I would rather not bother & clean the lens element now and again.

I was advised not to use a filter,another bit of glass, the hood will protect it, famous last words.
I took about 400 raw images, lots and lots of keepers, so just ordered a 160gb
hard drive to keep my pics on, my laptop is just about to give up the ghost, only £40 from Malaysia.

Not famous last words Terry. I believe that quite a few people on here have mentioned the detrimental effect a filter can have on your piccies. Can you imagine going to Bempton and getting home only to find a load of crap shots ?
Get started with the clone tool !
I always used to put filters on all of my lenses in my old 35mm days but times and lenses have changed. If you extend the lens hood as far as possible, which may also reduce any glare, you would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to damage the front element.

P.S. Very very nice third shot.

Same with me. I put a Hoya UV filter on the 100-400 when I first got it to protect the front element which is very exposed until you fit the lens hood.

Results were very soft and washed out. I thought it was a problem with the lens until I removed it and then all was well. I couldn't decide whether it was glare or just one too many glass surfaces.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back