• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment: pencils, papers, telescopes... (1 Viewer)

EliS

I tried using the search tool to find out whether there's already a thread for what equipment people use when doing field scetches. Couldn't find any (maybe I used wrong words), so I'm starting one. I've found out long ago that one can save a lot of time by seeing, what more experienced birdwatchers do...

So:

What kinds of pencils do you use when scetching outside? How soft? (And how do you keep them sharp enough? I've never been a fan of pencils since they get blunt so fast...)

What do you use for colors? (Again, on the field.) I've noticed some use watercolors even outside (wow!), but does anyone have experience with wood colors? Which would be good?

And since I'm planning on getting myself a telescope, I'm curious to hear what kinds of telescopes you are using. I've noticed some people prefer fixed, some zoom lenses etc. So any comments on that, what things should a bird illustrator bear in mind when getting a telescope?

Hi Elina welcome to the best bit of BF! There was a thread a while ago showing people's sketching gear:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=92894
Hope you find it useful.

Lately I've been using a Derwent 2B sketching pencil but I too find it frustrating losing the point quickly so I'm now trying a pentel 0.5 mm propelling pencil. One way around losing the point too quickly with the 2B is to have four pencils sharpened at the same time. That way once the point gets too blunt on the first pencil you can quickly swap so as not to break the flow of drawing too much.

Mike

Thanks! And that link lead me to another great thread. Both very helpful.

The tip on having many sharp pencils at hand - I like that. I've been lately not so satisfied with my mechanical pencil (sometimes I just want to make broader lines), so I think that just about solved my problem. (Though I shall keep my mechanical one at hand as well...)

One way around losing the point too quickly with the 2B is to have four pencils sharpened at the same time...

Great tip Mike :t: Pretty obvious really but it's never even crossed my dizzy-brunette mind :smoke:

also sharpen them at both ends, it's true there's nothing more irritating than having to stop and sharpen.

I'm a 'softie' really -I like to use 4b pencils when drawing. A trick I adopt is to alternate between line work and tone work. I use the pointy bit for lines and the sides of the pencil for broad tone areas - hey presto, this also then sharpens the point, ready for the next line.

I'm a 'softie' really -I like to use 4b pencils when drawing. A trick I adopt is to alternate between line work and tone work. I use the pointy bit for lines and the sides of the pencil for broad tone areas - hey presto, this also then sharpens the point, ready for the next line.

Sneaky, and not just a little bit clever!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back