• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white spots on prism (1 Viewer)

Synaps

I have a bin "on trail" from Amazon, but I noticed it has some small white spots on the prism (on the objective side of the prism). Optical quality does not seem to suffer, but still I assume this to be a "significant" defect, or am I nitpicking here...?

Edit: just had another look with different light, and it seems to me the spots are imperfections in the coatings. There are 5 small ones on the right prism and about 20-30 tiny ones on the left one...

Last edited:
Hi Synaps,
A photo would help.
Could be coating faults or even fungus.
It depends how much of a bargain it is, but if fungus reject it.

Yes, Chinese, but high quality one, supposedly :h?:

Not fungus, i think, looks different. Will try to take a picture, but doubt if I'll manage

I know... it sounds contradictory...

Well, to be more complete: it is an Eschenbach Trophy d 8x42.

Eschenbach Germany, that is... The only thing German about it is the brand tag and the fact that the head (sales?) office is located in Nürnberg, Germany. :eek!:

I had been warned about the brand by a fellow forumite, who said that one of their models and I qoute
holds the distinction as possibly the worst binocular I've ever tried
He wasn't terribly worried about the trophy though and on a German forum someone called it: the first decent binocular sold by Eschenbach....

Optically it is quite good. I can understand why two familiar review sites rave about it. Mechanically it is also put together very well. Apart from the tiny spots on the prism, which must be a deficiency in the coating as I can only see them under a bright lamp that reflects at the right angle, I see no other faults. Don't think I'll keep it though. I think the shape of the tubes is odd and the lens caps are a bear to put on. Really weird... there are stiff bridges between the caps and to make matters worse the caps have a pointy shape as well on the objective side. |:S|

the lens caps are a bear to put on. Really weird... |:S|

Synaps

This is really discriminatory against bears, who, we all know from the Paddington movies, are friendly and compassionate. Think of all the children looking forward to having a bear to cuddle as a Christmas present. If they read Bird Forum (as all intelligent kids do I am sure) and see that you think bears are 'really weird' you might ruin their childhood.

This time of year is the season of goodwill to all men and obviously bears as well so I really think you should find some other way to criticise your lens caps.

And by the way Merry Christmas.

Lee

Sorry, didn't mean to offend any living being.... Certainly not bears. o:D
I picked up this expression from another forum, where it was used occasionally. I guess forums are not the best place to learn a new language. :eek!:

Merry Christmas

Your gracious apology has, I am sure, been accepted by all the bears that visit this forum.

I must say I never heard an expression like that, using a bear as an example of weird, malevolent, downright awkwardness, but in the UK people do say that awkward things a 'a right pig', which is much the same.

I think we should start a movement to end all insults to animals. In future awkward and difficult and weird things should be referred to as 'a right politician'.

Lee

I am very happy that my apology has been accepted. Otherwise I wouldn't feel safe on a camp site anymore... ;) Uhrrr. does that mean what I mean it to mean...?

In future awkward and difficult and weird things should be referred to as 'a right politician'

Right as in right wing, or right as in correct. Not sure which is more awkward :cat: Oops... the children... Sorry, just may have traumatized another one....

All those different meanings of words..., it can get confusing, especially for us foreigners |=)| Why don't we all speak the same language.

The term bear was not intended to mean really weird though. I meant it in the sense of hard chore, more like bearing children perhaps?

bear
1. n. a difficult task. This problem is a real bear.
2. n. an ugly woman. (Derogatory.) Tell the old bear to hold her tongue.
3. n. a highway patrol officer. (see also Smokey (the Bear).) There’s a bear hiding under that bridge.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.

That is a beastly thing to say.
Insulting our beloved politicians :)

As to the binocular.
Amazon repacked reject?

Yes, I think it is an Amazon repacked reject. Got a bit of a discount, I thought, but now I know why. The third in a row with an obvious defect :C

I am very happy that my apology has been accepted. Otherwise I wouldn't feel safe on a camp site anymore... ;) Uhrrr. does that mean what I mean it to mean...?

Right as in right wing, or right as in correct. Not sure which is more awkward :cat: Oops... the children... Sorry, just may have traumatized another one....

All those different meanings of words..., it can get confusing, especially for us foreigners |=)| Why don't we all speak the same language.

The term bear was not intended to mean really weird though. I meant it in the sense of hard chore, more like bearing children perhaps?

bear

McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.

"When we use the same word for different things we just confuse the [bleep] out of each other." Me

Unfortunately, there there are in this world more things than words, and there are colloquial and regional variations. Language is a tricksy thing.

Ain't Amazon wonderful?

I was quite surprised by the poor state of the bins I received. Guess they had to clear out some crappy ones before the Christmas shopping spree.

Unfortunately, there there are in this world more things than words, and there are colloquial and regional variations

As long as I can understand what is being said, it's ok. I worked for a Dutch-British company for a while and for fun the we used to teach each-other crazy colloquialisms. Can be quite entertaining sometimes.

As for my political preferences (I may have offended someone ;)) I am what they call in the Netherlands a hovering voter. Sometimes a bit to the left, sometimes right, depending on candidates and political program.

Hi Synaps,

'You put your left arm in, your left arm out, you shake it all about. You do the Hokey Cokey. That's what its all about.
You put your right arm in, your right arm out, you shake it all about, You do the Hokey Cokey. That's what its all about'. :)

I had been warned about the brand by a fellow forumite, who said that one of their models and I qoute He wasn't terribly worried about the trophy though and on a German forum someone called it: the first decent binocular sold by Eschenbach....

Optically it is quite good. I can understand why two familiar review sites rave about it. Mechanically it is also put together very well. Apart from the tiny spots on the prism, which must be a deficiency in the coating as I can only see them under a bright lamp that reflects at the right angle, I see no other faults. Don't think I'll keep it though. I think the shape of the tubes is odd and the lens caps are a bear to put on. Really weird... there are stiff bridges between the caps and to make matters worse the caps have a pointy shape as well on the objective side. |:S|

Hi,

sorry you got a lemon - I have one as a second pair and for the 250€ I paid for a demo unit it's quite good.
The caps are indeed not great but they get less tight with time... if I was using this daily (which I would certainly consider on a budget), I'd probably try to find a 3rd party rainguard.

Joachim

bear

Synaps

Blame the English language for some of this confusion. 'Right' in this context does not mean polically on the right or even correct, it means 'a big mess'. If something led to a 'right load of confusion' it means a lot of confusion and 'a right loony' would mean somebody who (in the opinion of the speaker) is full of confused and inaccurate thoughts. For example, most of us on Bird Forum.

So a 'right politician' would be one who represents the full amount of all the things we criticise politicians for being.

To clarify one point here: I have not had dealings with many politicians but when I have done so, I have found them all to be very caring people who work very hard to help the people they represent. So my 'right politician' phrase is meant in the context of holiday-time silly but good natured humour.

Lee

Synaps

Blame the English language for some of this confusion. 'Right' in this context does not mean polically on the right or even correct, it means 'a big mess'. If something led to a 'right load of confusion' it means a lot of confusion and 'a right loony' would mean somebody who (in the opinion of the speaker) is full of confused and inaccurate thoughts. For example, most of us on Bird Forum.

So a 'right politician' would be one who represents the full amount of all the things we criticise politicians for being.

To clarify one point here: I have not had dealings with many politicians but when I have done so, I have found them all to be very caring people who work very hard to help the people they represent. So my 'right politician' phrase is meant in the context of holiday-time silly but good natured humour.

Lee

This is (as far as I know) a strictly British usage.

We, in the Former North American Colonies, do not ever use that word in that way.

I rather like it, but it will get you funny looks here.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back