• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox Hg Mig 8x33 (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Brought these bins out yesterday for the first time. It was a very windy overcast day with the odd breakthrough in sunshine towards the end of the day. A perfect day for testing the bins out.

Build quality, No surprises hear as they are built like my last pair which were like a tank. They have a nice robust solid feel.

Ease of use, The rubber armouring has a nice grippy feel to it. I also used the bins with gloves on and I had no problems as there was no slippage with the rubber armouring. The focus wheel is nice and big with plenty of dimples on it for easy grip. There was no play in the focus wheel which was very smooth with one rotation of the wheel going from close to infinity. There is also distance markings on the focus wheel that I will never use but could come in handy for somebody. The diopter adjustment ring was a little stiff to pull out but it eventually did and was smooth to go from + to - .

View/image, Well what can I say, A wonderful clear bright view on what was an overcast dull day. I could pick out feather detail quite easily. The image colouring was neutral/clear. The 8x43 was slightly brighter but very minimal difference. The 8x33 has a wider fov and I found it very easy on the eye. The image was clear right to the edge. I could not see any sign of CA but I'm not susceptible to CA anyway.

I bought this as it was lighter than the 8x43 which in itself is not very heavy. I give this bin a score of 9 out of 10. I am very happy with this bin and recommend it 100%. A brilliant/cheaper alternative to any of the alphas.

Ger.:t:

I bought this as it was lighter than the 8x43 which in itself is not very heavy. I give this bin a score of 9 out of 10. I am very happy with this bin and recommend it 100%. A brilliant/cheaper alternative to any of the alphas.

Ger.:t:

I could not agree more. The Minox 8 x 43 HG is a very fine binocular but the HG 8 x 33 is the real sleeper.

My review was kind of rushed as her indoors was calling;). However I am really impressed by the clarity and fov in this bin. If anybody gets the chance to try one out they will certainly be impressed. It could save them a whole lot of dosh if they were looking for an alpha brand. Unless they are an optics junkie who immediately looks for the next fix.:smoke:

I'm actually surprised there is not more people with this binocular. I suppose its lack of exposure compared to the alpha brands plus lack of availability in a lot of shops doesn't help either but one thing is for sure its a top notch bin. Ger.

My review was kind of rushed as her indoors was calling;). However I am really impressed by the clarity and fov in this bin. If anybody gets the chance to try one out they will certainly be impressed. It could save them a whole lot of dosh if they were looking for an alpha brand. Unless they are an optics junkie who immediately looks for the next fix.:smoke:

I'm actually surprised there is not more people with this binocular. I suppose its lack of exposure compared to the alpha brands plus lack of availability in a lot of shops doesn't help either but one thing is for sure its a top notch bin. Ger.

This is a superb binocular. Pin-sharp, very bright , super wide FOV and built to last.
If any one is looking a nearly new used bargain, mine are on ebay for under £400, only selling as I now have Ultravid 8x32 after a nice bonus at work!
Will miss the Minox though. Great bins.

Which is which? 62181, 62188

Hi there,
Thanks for the review...
I was thinking the Minox HG 8x33 model may suit me, but on shopping around it appears there are two models with the same designation, which has me a little confused.
The one on the Minox web site is part no. 62181. It is quoted as having a FOV of 8.1 degrees and eye relief of 16.5mm.
There seems to be another version on the market as part no. 62188. It is quoted as having a FOV of 7.5 degrees and eye relief of 15mm.
All the other specs seem to be the same. Can anyone shed any light on any other differences? I was tending toward assuming one is a superseded model, but I had a look at the 2002 version of the Minox web site on the Way Back Machine and by December that year the 62181 specs have appeared as per the current web site. I'm mystified. Any suggestions?
Regards
Boris45

Hi Boris, The 62181 model are the newer made in Germany version whereas the narrower fov version is the older made in Japan version. I think I read somewhere that there were slight differences in the coatings aswell as the differences you mentioned.

As regards the Minox website showing the MIG specs in 2002 I have no idea.

The Minox HG MIG 8x33 are a wonderful bin. I've compared them to a Zeiss fl 8x32 and a swaro 8.5 x42 and there is not a lot between them. They are built very well with nice grippy rubber armouring and they just feel right in the hand. If you can try the MIG version at an optics dealer and compare them to the Alpha bins. You may be surprised.

The older MIJ version should be a lot cheaper than the MIG version and from reading reviews as I've never seen a pair is that it is a good bin but the fov seems a bit narrow to some users.

If you were going for a pair I would recommend going for the newer Made in Germany version 62181 with the wider fov but then I'm a minox user so I would say that wouldn't I.;)

Cheers,

Ger.

I was thinking the Minox HG 8x33 model may suit me, but on shopping around it appears there are two models with the same designation, which has me a little confused.
The one on the Minox web site is part no. 62181. It is quoted as having a FOV of 8.1 degrees and eye relief of 16.5mm.
There seems to be another version on the market as part no. 62188. It is quoted as having a FOV of 7.5 degrees and eye relief of 15mm.
All the other specs seem to be the same. Can anyone shed any light on any other differences?

In many ways, the HG 8 x 33 its the nicest binocular Minox makes. Mine is the MIJ version and I am entirely pleased with it in all respects (including FOV). I also own the MIG 8 x 43 and see no differences in build quality (which is superb for both versions) or coatings. The 8 x 43 is predictably a bit brighter but if I had to choose between the two, I would take the MIJ 8 x 33. It really is that good.

Hi Squidge and Chartwell99,
Thanks for your replies.
I have found a partial explanation on the Minox on - line shop which linked off the Minox web site, Minox.de -> Payworxx.de/minox. It seems that Minox uses 2 series of similar numbers to describe most of its' products; a product number and an order number. sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are similar but different. for example:-
MINOX APO HG 8x43 - MiG, Product No.:62186, Order number 62193, Different

MINOX HG 8x33 - MiG, Product No.:62181, Order number 62181, Same

MINOX HG 8x43 - MiG, Product No.:62182, Order number 62189, Different.

MINOX HG 10x43 - MiG, Product No.:62183, Order number 62190, Different.

MINOX BL 8x33 Comf Bridge, Product No.:62197, Order number 62197, Same

MINOX BL 8x44 Comf Bridge, Product No.:62195, Order number not documented.

MINOX BL 10x44 Comf Bridge, Product No.:62196, Order number not documented.

What a maze! But I feel more comfortable placing an order now.
Apart from the confusion over exactly what I would be buying,
I have been having a hard time choosing between the 8x33 and the 8x43. It was coming down to balancing between the convenience of the smaller size of the 33 and the extra eye relief of the larger format. I am burdened by astigmatism and glasses. I think perhaps I am veerring back toward the 8x33.
I'll post the outcome.
Thanks again for taking the time.
Cheers
Boris45.

HG 8x33s ordered.
I wait with bated breath.o:) :-C
Thanks again for your input.
Boris45

You won't be disappointed, Boris. Today I tried out Squidge's Minox MIG 8x33, and was extremely impressed. We even had a shoot-out with my Zeiss FL 8x32 and Swarovision 8.5x42, and I was left stroking my chin and wondering. (We also nearly had a tree-branch fall on us, and I got the car stuck in sand but Squidge helped me get it out, proving that he is a handy old cove and not just astute at acquiring good glass;)).
The Minox are really comfortable in the hand, there's something very tactile about their rubber armouring. Very easy on the eyes, nice wide FOV and large diameter oculars. Let us know how you get on.

You won't be disappointed, Boris. Today I tried out Squidge's Minox MIG 8x33, and was extremely impressed. We even had a shoot-out with my Zeiss FL 8x32 and Swarovision 8.5x42, and I was left stroking my chin and wondering. (We also nearly had a tree-branch fall on us, and I got the car stuck in sand but Squidge helped me get it out, proving that he is a handy old cove and not just astute at acquiring good glass;)).
The Minox are really comfortable in the hand, there's something very tactile about their rubber armouring. Very easy on the eyes, nice wide FOV and large diameter oculars. Let us know how you get on.

Hardcore!:t:

Arrived

They arrived and I am a happy chapy. o:)
The main thing I was concerned about was eye relief. I wear glasses and prefer to have them out a little from my face. I have to move them right in to my brow to achieve a full field of view, which is not such a big deal. Perhaps the longer eye relief of the 8x42s would have been better for me.
Anyway I'll use them over the weekend and see how they feel after I gain some familarity with them.
Thanks again for all the input.
Boris

Is there a size difference between the two versions? Allbinos states the same dimensions but elsewhere I read sepcs for the mig being 134mm which would be larger than the mij 125mm. Many also confuse the different fov but I'm confident that's a larger 8.1degr on the mig. But anyone can confirm the mig size?

Edit: found an online user manual, it's 134mm.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back