• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best boots for all-season, all climate birding? (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
Hi all,

I'm looking for the perfect waterproof birding boot. I have neoprene rubber wellies that grip the ankle well, and are reasonably comfy in Summer, but I suspect they would be too hot for the tropics, and anyway after tramping around in them for a day my feet are hot and uncomfortable. I have felt-lined rubber wellies for the winter, which are great, but too hot for summer or the tropics. Neither are as comfy as sneakers or ordinary walking shoes, but those aren't waterproof or high enough up the leg even if they were. The perfect birding boot should be light and comfy enough to wear all day and have comfortable feet at the end, be cool enough to wear without hot feet in the summer, and be warm enough to wear on winter days in snow, unless really cold - and of course be waterproof up to at least mid-calf. They should slip on and off easily and be reasonably comfy to drive in. Muck Boots look as if they would fit the bill from their web site. Does anyone else have experience or views?

Thanks,

Richard

I just purchased a pair of Bog Boots, which appear to be nearly identical to Muck Boots, but I have not yet used them for birding so cannot say how well they perform. I suspect the neoprene uppers would be too warm for birding in the tropics. I don't know of any boot that is both waterproof and cool in warm weather. Glen

There is quite an interesting product survey of Wellingtons for bird watching in the October 2003 edition of 'Birdwatching' magazine. The ones that came out as best value for money were Hunter Neo Galloway (£69.95), Aigle Parcours Iso (£104.95), and Le Chameau Vega Nord (£109.95).

Alan HIll

I'd be interested in same the idea -- except in a shoe!

I have a pair of New Balance hiking shoes, which has been reasonably comfortable for a full day out, a little hot in the summer, and while they started out waterproof, that died after about two years.

They are now more than 4 years old, and very tired. The linings on the inside, however, are wearing out before the upper.

I'm in the market. Does Vasque carry a shoe that would be suitable?

I should add that boots don't work for me. I have large calves, and finding boots large enough in the calf, even in a laced boot with some give, is impossible -- and believe me, I've looked! And even a low-cut boot doesn't work well. The way my calves are shaped, the top at the back inevitably rubs and blisters my leg! Not a pleasant way to spend a day in the field.

Last edited:
Beverly et al -

One of my pairs of "sneakers" (I guess they're really hiking shoes) are Vasques - they're the most comfortable of all my shoes - but they're below the ankle and not waterproof. However, I've just looked at their web site, and I see they offer some boots and shoes with Goretex.

I don't think it can exist. Your feet want different things in summer and winter. In winter, I want to keep my feet warm and dry, so I wear stout walking boots, or for wet ground, two pairs of thick socks and wellies (rubber boots). In summer, feet get too hot and sweaty too easily, so you want something light with plenty of breathing - I often wear a really ancient pair of trainers that are full of, I'll put it euphemistically, ventilation holes. If it is really hot, I've been known to go straight into a stream to get my feet soaked with lovely cool water . . . no way would I want to do that in winter!

Michael

After seeing poor Indians and Africans going everywhere (including cold/wet areas) in sandals I gave up on boots and got a pair of sandals. Go anywhere in them until the temperature drops. Forget waterproof, just get them wet! Trainers are not good for your feet or posture, that's from an ex athlete. In colder climates I wear stout walking shoes or wellingtons when out on the marshes in winter. I think you'll have to settle for at least 2 pairs of footwear especially where you live.

Richard,

As a walker who came back to birding after a very long break, I've found my walking boots to be more than man for the job and versatile to boot! I wear a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTX, a Gore-Tex sock lined leather boot, this makes them incredibly waterproof and breathable, light enough and durable enough as the leather provides support and protection.

I use brasher socks to meet the demands of climate so in spring/summer/autumn I wear brasher 3x3 socks, which vent well around the foot and coupled with the Gore-Tex wick away any moisture, my feet are always comfortable, and dry. In winter I wear brasher 4x4 socks, with merino wool for comfort and warmth, these are excellent socks especially when standing for long periods. I even wear the 3x3 socks in winter particularly if I'm on the move all day! Brasher do make a spring sock 2x2 and an even thinner 1x1, I've never tried them but they look like the other socks toe and heel wise, but have less material between to help with cooling.

As regards waterproofing to mid-calf I found the addition of a pair of Gore-Tex gaiters will keep me dry whilst on the move and fording streams, not really recommended for standing in water, but they'll keep you dry if you step in a big puddle.

All these items are available on-line from Oswald Bailey at http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk the boots are £115, 3x3 socks £9, 4x4 socks £10, and gaiters around £20.

Regards Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back