• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happiness is............. (1 Viewer)

Judo

..........Birds in cages!!

Hi All,
Today, I am a very happy bunny!! You see on Monday, (like Bill) I decided that the cages would have to go on!! The Starlings were the culprits here, they were emptying the feeders as fast as I could fill 'em!! I could no longer sustain the weekly birdseed bills (over £40 last week!!!)........so........I put onto the feeders, the cages that I had bought 2 or 3 years ago, (plus one home-made one!).........they had not been a great success when I tried them then, so it was with great trepidation that I did it now............well...........it's a resounding success!! WHaaa-Heyyyyyy!!! (picture fist raised in air at this point!! :t:) The Tits love 'em, the H.Sparrows, from being a bit suspicious at first, are now hopping in & out like good 'uns, they were even argung as normal for pole position on the perches! (see pic.3) and today the Finches have discovered how to get in!!....they even like my home-made one!........and the Starlings?......they perch on the outside wondering 'how the heck?!!'......sorry Starlings!.........but they still have food on the tables, and the ground, so they ain't left out entirely! As I was taking the photos of the birds in cages, 3 C.Buzzards flew over, mewing as they circled high in the sky......... I am attaching some photos of some of the birds enjoying there new caged feeders and the Buzzards........
.......................and THEN.................the icing on the cake!!........when these two little beauties popped in (photos are to follow)...........
Ohhh, I am a Happy Bunny!! :-O......and my cup runneth over with Joy.........
......and now I must get off cloud nine, & go and get some work done!!
My Best to You All,

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 16
As promised..........here are the photos of the 2 little beauties.....Yes......Long Tailed Tits!! ain't they cuties?!

Attachments

• L.T.Tit (1).JPG
    L.T.Tit (1).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 17
  • L.T (2).JPG
    L.T (2).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 14
  • L.T (3).JPG
    L.T (3).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 14
  • L.T (4).JPG
    L.T (4).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
  • L.T (5).JPG
    L.T (5).JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
As promised..........here are the photos of the 2 little beauties.....Yes......Long Tailed Tits!! ain't they cuties?!

Just gorgeous Judo and this years youngsters by the looks of them!
We only get bothered with Starlings if I put fatballs out (which I don't in the summer) but your cages look like they are going to work already!!:t:

Hi Judo,

Well done. I had the same qualms, would the birds that I wanted to use the feeders still use them...... In my case it took a day or two for the Spadgers to get the message, there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing without actually going in, but now everything is fine.

I like that spherical cage, where did you get that one; I have a feeder identical to yours and it's the one that's still open to thieves and vagabonds and get's emptied twice a day.

Envy you your LTTs, very rarely see them here.

Bill

Well done Judo. The cages certainly seem to do the job; much to your relief no doubt. Maybe you can afford to eat now. LOL!!
The pics are good to see, and the visit by the LTT's must have been a joy.

Baz.

Hi Ruth, Bill & Baz,
Thanks for the kind replies Lady & Gents.
Ruth, I too omit putting fat balls/cakes out from early Spring to late Summer/Autumn, but the Starlings still come in great numbers! The feeders have not been completely empty since the cages went on, so yes, it looks as if they're doing the trick!
Bill, It was after I'd seen your lovely photos of the birds munching happily in the cages you had, that I remembered I had some, and gave me the idea to try them again, so thanks for that nudge. The spherical cage is home-made, from two small hanging baskets wired together, with a crosspiece cut out of the top for access to the feeder, I was quite pleased with it, & it saved a bit more money by not having to buy another cage!!
Baz, Yes, it was getting to be a case of them or us eating!! hopefully now, all of us will be able to eat!!
Thanks again All,

Hi Judo,

Very clever, I thought that I'd not seen one like that in the catalogues.

Problem is that I don't have any hanging baskets so it's probably going to be an expensive solution. I'll think about it.

Bill

Bill, Hi again,
You can pick up a hanging basket quite cheaply from places like Wilkinson, B & Q etc. The cheapest ones (which mine are!) are about £2-£3 each, so for two it would cost roughly £6. Then with a bit of wire, or even string, I suppose would work, to hold 'em together, and the chains you get with the baskets to hang 'em, I reckon it's a cheaper alternative than buying one of the cages from the bird-food supply places, which start from about £15!
Hope this helps, please let me know if I can help with any more info on my 'home-made cage'!!
My Best to You Bill,

Hi Jude,

OK, you've talked me into it; or at least into going looking at baskets.

Watch this space (but don't hold your breath, I'm a lazy so and so)

Bill

Genius Judo!
I will pop into Focus while they have a sale on, hopefully they will keep out the b***** squirrels too! ;)
Aww, you LTT's are gorgeous, they often visit me, so fingers crossed, I might be lucky enough to see them soon.
Great story Judo

Thanks for the compliment pie, glad to be of help. You know the old saying "Necessity is the Mother of invention".....well it certainly is in our house!!...
Don't know if it'd be Squizzer-proof though, but it's worth a try! one or two Starlings manage to get in, (the holes are slightly larger than the proper bought cages), but it's certainly not the problem that it was, and the food is lasting a lot longer, with only every other day re-filling required.
Hope you get to see your LTT's soon pie.
My Best to You,

Hello happy bunny Judo.Your joy was absolutely infectious.It was like the kiss of life for me.I stopped feeding peanuts ages ago because the weather turned them bad in quicktime.The birds weren'tt eating them anyway even though the feeders were small and I tried just filling them halfway.,as any Yorkie would.
Now Ilove LTT,s and you made me really jealous.Iput four fatballs out and the pesky starrlings scoffed the lot in no time.
This morning I was idly looking at my bird table CCTV on the T.V.screen and ,cheers x 3
there was a feathered lollipop looking for nuts. I still had some in stock so I wasn't long in replenishing the feeders.Only half full of course 'cos it's raining again.
Thank you for your great thread and fine piictures.

maurice

A lovely set of 'restaurant' pictures Judo! :t:
And I was wondering about your round cage too. Great idea and beautifully made.
I don't get so many Starlings these days, in fact none for weeks and weeks. My big problem this year is squirrels eating the peanuts. They always have, and I don't mind feeding any wildlife that comes to my garden as it makes me feel blessed. But this year they really have gone to town on the nut feeders, leaving very little for the birds unless I go out and refill often. I think I will have to buy a new long nut feeder together with a cage, so that the birds get more of a look in. That is, when I get myself organised. I'm still not myself yet and all over the place at the moment. Things are just ticking over while I go through the motions, but I hope to regenerate myself later in the year, and be prepared for winter.

A great happy thread, Judo! :t:

No wonder you are a happy bunny with the delightful L.T.T's and all your other visitors! A brilliant idea with the rotund cage...I will think seriously about that one...to keep the squirrels off my feeders not the odd Starling I get.
Great pics too!

Happy Birding Judo!:D

Hi Maurice, Renée and Pam,
I am so, so sorry for not acknowledging your replies. I've not been around for a while so please do forgive me. Thank you for your kind comments, and I'm so glad you enjoyed and shared my pleasure with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back