• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aldi specials [Birdbox camera, scope, food & many more items] (1 Viewer)

Marmot

Just had a look on Aldi specials for next Thursday 4th Feb, many of them are for birders.

One of the best bargains is the colour nestbox camera complete with nestbox. £39.99
Spotting Scope £19.99 [Have one myself ]
Nest Box [2 types] £4.99 each
Bird seed house and 2 refills £4.99
Feeding Station £9.99
Bird Bath £9.99
Seed Mix 12.75Kg £7.99
50 fat balls £6.99
Peanuts 1,8kg £2.49
Fat ball holders and fat balls x2 £3.99
Peanut or Port feeder £2.99
Tub mealworms £2.49
Bird table £10.99

Here is a link to the website should you want a closer look at any of them
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week05Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main

I have one of the scopes too, but we tend to end up using the binos.

I also think we still have some of the seed from last time the specials were on. It's probably time to change it anyhow.

Sorry for seeming thick but how do these special buys work? You go into store on Thursday and they are there?

Sorry for seeming thick but how do these special buys work? You go into store on Thursday and they are there?

Precisely. You go into the stores on the day of release, and they're just stacked up somewhere. They remain in the store until they all sell, usually, so there will also be remnants of other, previous weeks, specials lying around.

Last year the scopes were available in my local Aldi for months. But I've read that in previous years the scopes went quickly.

I think I'm going to have a go at getting one of these, it's the right price for me as I feel I'd like the extra magnification of a scope occasionally but don't know if I'll use one much and not having a job at the moment means I really couldn't buy a good (well, even bottom tier!) scope from regular sources. Will be interesting to see how the image quality fares as I really can't believe you can buy one for £20! Have told a friend and she wants one too, hope they have some at our local store... I'll be queueing up at opening time on Thursday!

I think I'm going to have a go at getting one of these, it's the right price for me as I feel I'd like the extra magnification of a scope occasionally but don't know if I'll use one much and not having a job at the moment means I really couldn't buy a good (well, even bottom tier!) scope from regular sources. Will be interesting to see how the image quality fares as I really can't believe you can buy one for £20! Have told a friend and she wants one too, hope they have some at our local store... I'll be queueing up at opening time on Thursday!

I got mine a few years ago and for the money you can't go wrong. But you will still get some that will moan it is not the quality of a Swaro, Leica etc... they seem to forget it is only £20 and you wouldn't even get the cover for that in these big named ones....[You are lucky to get a round of drinks and have change from a £20 nowadays]. To me its £20 and if we had payed that for a pair of bins we would not be expecting miracles from them.

All in all they have had good write ups on here,I have copied a link from previous threads about them
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=133172&highlight=aldi+scope
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=77832&highlight=aldi+scope

Very interesting Marmot, thanks a lot for that! I may even take a wander up there on Wednesday afternoon in case there's anything out ahead of time (and so I can scout the place out a bit). Have been in there once quite some time ago but since it's a long walk I've avoided going there, although I've found a more direct route that cuts the walk there from nearly three miles down to two, which will be a lot better!

Have got a nice big sturdy camera tripod and a reasonable really short one so should be ok for support... will report back if (hopefully) I can get one. :t:

Very interesting Marmot, thanks a lot for that! Have got a nice big sturdy camera tripod and a reasonable really short one so should be ok for support... will report back if (hopefully) I can get one. :t:

The tripod you get with it is only about 6 inches high and is only useful if you have a large ledge to rest it on. But it has its own little pocket in the side of the scope bag just in case you do find a reason. Hope you have a successful outing to Aldi....if you like hobnob biscuits their own "oaties" are a lot nicer ..and cheaper;)

Well, I'm tempted to get the scope just to have it set up at home for checking out stuff in the fields behind the garden. I tend to leave my main scope in the car.

Anybody know if the Aldi scope can be fitted to a proper tripod?

is yours still alive and working marmot?

and if so what are your experiences of it over time?

Yes it is still doing well and currently checking out what is in the garden and surrounding area [ there is a tree in the diestance where all the Finch sit before coming in the garden] The results are still very good when in light conditions, the slight browness that is on the edge only seems to come in overcast conditions and does not bother me

Well, I'm tempted to get the scope just to have it set up at home for checking out stuff in the fields behind the garden. I tend to leave my main scope in the car.

Yes at present ours is on a Manfrotto tripod.

Think i'll be making a trip Thursday morning (luckily my day off), to see if I can get a scope, I can't afford anything more right now and i'm not entirely convinced i'll be the lucky winner of the competition I entered to win one worth just under two grand!:-C

is yours still alive and working marmot?

and if so what are your experiences of it over time?

Mine is still working also. I am using it as a stop gap until I can get something better!!

It uses the standard thread that all tripods have.

I suppose if the scope & tripod get knocked over, you must hope that the scope cushions the impact of the tripod... :-O

Richard

:-O:-O

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back