• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox APO HG 10x43 BR (1 Viewer)

GaryJW

Does anyone have any personal experience with using these binoculars (Minox APO HG 10x43 BR) or can point me in the direction of a review?

I've looked and looked but can find nothing other than occasional (generally favourable) references. I have seen the review on allbinos.com for the non-APO version which looks good (the only real things that they are marked down against the 'big boys' are truncated exit pupils (that I see as a valid design decision/compromise for the low size and weight) and some CA (which should, I understand, be better corrected in the APO version)).

I would be very interested in hearing comments from people who have used them for some time. One point that I would like to know is whether they have lateral CA (i.e. that which disappears if you have your eyes in exactly the right position); I have the BL 13x56 which have a fair bit of this and it makes their use 'fussy', i.e. one is always working to keep the eyes centred if there are high contrast scenes (otherwise, to be fair, they are very good).

On paper, the 10x43s look very interesting, optical quality approaching the best but small and compact (which I know from experience will influence how often and how willingly I will take them in a day sack).

I know someone here has both a HG and an APO and hopefully will spot your post. I've tried the HG a couple of times and noted some green and yellow CA which I don't find bothersome. I very briefly tried an APO and looked for CA and didn't see it, and felt the detail had a bit more bite, but it really wasn't a proper comparison.

These guys have a detailed report but the google translator can be a bit of a struggle.
http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/minox_apo_hg_8x43/minox_apo_hg_8x43.php

They did a big group test recently as well which didn't include the Minox, but offers views on the obvious competition.

David

Thanks for link David, it was quite helpful (even with google translate). Looks positive for this series of binoculars, now need to decide whether I am willing to buy 'sight unseen' (cheaper) or ask the local dealer to obtain a pair for me to try out (probably more expensive since I know he can't discount much on Minox (at least not the 13x56)).....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.877904,8.646717

I have the German HG & APO HG but in 8x42. I'm hoping some of the observations will be valid for the 10x.

The APO does have less CA than the regular HG, perhaps about 50 percent less. I can still see it on very high contrast areas such as tree limbs against a cloudy sky, though. Centering is important then.
I'd say an even bigger difference than CA between the two is the far better texture of objects with the ED glass in the APO.

For some CA comparisons:
The Ziess FL 8x42 definitely has a lot less CA, but it had other issues (blue cast, more glare, less contrast) so I kept the Minox.
Zen ray 7x42 ED2 has maybe 50% less CA off center than Minox.
Bushnell Ultra Legend 8x42 is fairly close. But it's often known to control CA quite well.

Disclaimer: I'm very sensitive to CA - I can see it with my glasses on, or sometimes with just my eyes. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison. I am especially interested to hear that you chose the Minox over the Zeiss FL. I am now really beginning to think that they are worth a look. Also good to hear that they have less flare than the Zeiss, since this seems to be the one major complaint that I hear of the FLs.

For anyone that is in Europe and interested in a pair of these binoculars there appears to be a 'price war' on amazon.de at the moment between two sellers for this model. I've just jumped and ordered pair at

OK, try again, this time not using tapatalk;

For anyone that is in Europe and interested in a pair of these binoculars there appears to be a 'price war' on amazon.de at the moment between two sellers for this model. I've just jumped and ordered pair at €200 less than the best price I've seen for those with stock, and €100 less than those with delivery times measured in months..........

Certainly good for me. I would be interested in knowing if this sort of thing happens often; would mean that patience may be an even better virtue than normally considered.

Let us know if you get those Minox's :eat:

How silly of me to forget, but I also compared mine to the 2011 Vortex Razor HD. The amount of CA was about identical and I really looked for it and moved my eyeballs around till they hurt. o:)

OK they turned up. Took some time, but the dealer was open and communicative throughout and I got them for a very good price (1160 euros - as cheap as I have seen them in Germany).

So what can I say so far about them;

As delivered;
Binoculars
Case
Caps (rainshield and objective covers);
Cleaning kit with own case (lenspen, microfibre cloth and solution)
Strap
Wooden box....
Strap a little shorter than I would prefer (have seen this before with Minox) but good quality.

Cleaning kit; useful contents and well packaged (leather(ette) case with belt strap), a bonus.

Caps, simple but functional and well made.

Case; leather (perhaps leatherette) with a magnetic fastener. With the caps on the case is a tight fit and the magnetic fastener works, but not with gusto. I would have preferred a simple nylon case with a clasp fastener as comes with the BL series.

In the end, I may look for an aftermarket case and strap.

The box; beautifully made, but really only designed as a display case (a functional wooden case could have been made much smaller). Not of any real use and I will only keep it in case I want to sell the bino's on further (to me binoculars are designed to be thrown in a rucksack and be used not displayed) and I would have preferred not to have paid for such an item (i.e. Minox marketing, points down on this).

The important part; the binoculars. I have compared them at home against (mainly) a pair of Steiner Skyhawk Pro 10x32 and used them so far at our local zoo this afternoon (captive wildlife + herons taking advantage of free food and good nature). I cannot compare them with the alphas since I do not possess any and these are my attempt to make sure that I do not feel the need!

Build quality; nothing to fault, solid and reassuring and the quality that I would expect at the price.

Comparison against the Steiners. The Minox blow them out of the water, the improvement in sharpness and bite is immediately and strongly apparent; in this area the Minox are better than any pair of binoculars that I am familiar with by a large margin. There is some lateral CA (i.e. eye position dependent) but none that I can see when one has the eyes centred. Have not seen any glare issues so far.

I would echo WilsonsWarbler's comment on textures, these are well produced and pronounced in a way that the other binoculars I have used just do not.

Low light performance; great. I was using them to observe animals which one could not make out any details with the naked eye (deep twilight) and could do so with success.

Issues; only one but this is overcome with familiarity. The first time that I tried them I pushed them hard up against my eyesockets and found that the image was blacking out as if I had not extended the eyecups. (I gained this habit with a pair of Nikon Action EX 12x50 which have a 'rocky bridge' - i.e. this was necessary to ensure consistent focus between left and right on the Nikons). The effect is real, but if one learns to use the eyecups as a guide (i.e. not quite pushed against the eyes but just felt) then there is no issue and was using them happily this afternoon without any complaint in this area. I do not see this as a problem, these will be my default binoculars and will become used to using them this way).

To summarise;

• They are (thankfully) a great improvement over the mid price binoculars that I have owned to date.
  • A mix on delivery; the box can be lived without, strap could be longer and the case could be sized to comfortably fit the binoculars + caps. The cleaning kit is a nice and useful touch.
  • Need to hold them a little further from the eye sockets than some other binoculars.
  • Satisfaction; I am very happy with them so far. I see an improvement in visual quality that justifies the price.

(Binoculars that I can compare them against;

Canon 8x32 WP (1999 vintage)
Steiner Skyhawk Pro 10x32
Minox BL 13x56 BR
Nikon Action EX 12x50
+ various compacts that just do not compare in any meaningful manner).

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip - had a look but they are a thin on the ground on this side of the pond. What are easy to get hold of here are the Zeiss 42mm Victory cases, which are made for a slightly larger binocular and I remember seeing them when I was considering the Victories. 22 Euros and after a few minutes picking off the badge; absolutely perfect, space for binoculars and strap and a securely closing top with wings to keep the dirt out.

Now just wondering whether their 56mm cases will be a good fit for my BL 13x56..... (Which come with a more practical case than the HGs, but the Zeiss case looks like it will be better protection (has wings on the top whereas the Minox case does not)).

Last edited:
Ah, excellent! I remember Zeiss having great cases as well.
I guess here it's the opposite - the Vortex was easier to get & just a state away so shipping was fast!

At least with the Minox HG, no 42mm case would be too small, except the included one. The leather smells good, though. :-O
I actually like the wood box - I'd keep my bins in there if they fit with the lens caps on... But everything is just a tad too small... :eat:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back