• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

It's great that you've got the award (as a newcomer I was actually surprised you hadn't one it before with some of the stuff on here!), and the first of many for you, I'm sure :t:
Agree absolutely Liam. However for Nick, this is far-from a 'first' -he's already won several prestigious awards (virtually annually) as well as being elected SWLA last year. I only mention this because I know he's far too modest to bring it up himself . . . whereas if it were me . . .;)

Bee Eaters deserve the award hands down, I can say that without seeing the competition because it's so good. Vibrant, alive, graphically stunning, striking, comps just feckin great, the whole thing is just "Moolah".

(I've run out of expletives and terms, or indeed words, to suitably express my admiration for certain pieces, so am now officially making new ones up. This painting is "Moolah", in others words a mind bogglingly good painting which makes my day on several levels and leaves me wishing I could do something approaching the same. Moollah!)

Last edited:
Already gave my congrats. But, I reckon another award should be given to Bee-Eaters as a species? An Oscar perhaps? ;) Nick, a truly outstanding composition! Thanks for attaching it! Well done!

(I've run out of expletives and terms, or indeed words, to suitably express my admiration for certain pieces, so am now officially making new ones up. This painting is "Moolah", in others words a mind bogglingly good painting which makes my day on several levels and leaves me wishing I could do something approaching the same. Moollah!)

Could work, Alan. Around here, 'moolah' is slang for 'money' ... which itself is slang for 'high quality'. Which this piece certainly is! ;)

Congrats, Nick.
I was so inspired by some of your recent efforts that my pencil may be beginning to take on the Derry style, well just for a couple of lines anyway! A book with an evocative title must be due soon.

Russ

Hmmn?

Derry absent eh?

Is there a note from his Mother?

Bet he's been bunking off. Smoking "tabs" down in the woods, with the other third formers... ;)

before I drop off the first page again............... here are a few bits and pieces I've been working on. It doesn't help the creative juices having started a new job, feeling as though I sketched waaaaaaaaaaay too many birds in the past month and not having time to do anything with them, but ho-hum, here are one or two little bits and bobs - the wryneck is a nightmare and I'm still not happy with it. The hobbies are my contribution to a running theme - very much inspired by young grasshopper's almost tribal drawings.

Attachments

• end may 10 013.JPG
    end may 10 013.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 44
  • end may 10 012.JPG
    end may 10 012.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 49
  • end may 10 011.JPG
    end may 10 011.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 48
Good to see you back posting regularly, Nick. What a treat these are! I love the hobbies but in particular the sandpiper. Excuse my crap ID skills but whether it's common or green it's so alive, such bold, contrasting tones. Outstanding.

Russ

Hey Nick, creative juices whoa!!

The Sandpipers an absolute belter! (that would be straight on my wall) and I love the movement in the Hobby and Swift piece, a special avian combo...
I'm not sure about the Wryneck to be honest, I think the bird needs to be bigger to grab you...or maybe the highlights are too pale, something like that... I'd play with it, it has potential.

Gorgeous!

That Wryneck reminds me of seeing them in their natural habitat in Eastern Poland. Rather than sitting on a sun-blasted, lichen covered rock at Porthgwarra or Portland! So it is especially appealing to me. And I think the composition is just fine. Wryneck perfectly placed in landscape, slightly furtive, wishing to be unobtrusive.
The Common Sand (is this the ID Forum?) in the light bath is brilliant, and an impressionistic wonder.
And the Hobbies I adore! Kissed by the Spirit of Ennion...

Welcome back!

I feel all flustered! But those hobbies are absolutely terrific, tons more tribal than mine I reckon, and the Swifts really look like they were painted on a cave wall by the worlds first great artists! Common Sandpiper is fantasmically awesome in every possible way, and I reckon the composition on the Wryneck is as good as the other two at least, however like Rockfowl think it could do with being a little larger. Perhaps photocopy and crop it a bit?

and good to have you back drawing and inspiring all again at last!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back