• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

So good to see your work again Nick, have missed you , love the hobbies, but the quiet tones of the sandpiper and the textures of that one have my heart.

in fact Nick, if it helps, here's a little bit of tinkering I did with the Wryneck using basic photo editing tools on my computer
wryneck (2).jpg

I cropped it, increased contrast and brightness and lowered shadows and highlights. Hopefully this will help a bit if you want to make a different version (I'd keep the original one anyway as it still looks very good and some people would probably prefer it, it just depends on what they personally like in a painting)

feeling as though I sketched waaaaaaaaaaay too many birds in the past month and not having time to do anything with them

This feeling will pass I'm sure Nick. There is no such thing as too many bird sketches from you! I'm sure all that knowledge gained eventually shows up in your paintings when you get around to them.

I do love the sandpiper though. I've been thinking of doing a painting of some sort based on a photo I took of a Solitary Sandpiper a few weeks ago. Then I look at this and see what an absolutely creative way you've chosen to portray it. That's something I think that takes years and years, if ever, to come up with. Can't get this sort of composition from just copying a photo. A treat to see it and your other work.

thanks everyone - I agree the wryneck needs to be tinkered with (this is the third version already!) - I thought as much and I'm glad to get the confirmation here, the difficulty is getting such a contrastingly patterned bird to sit happily behind the leaves in an unobtrusive shadow yet still be the focal point. Making it bigger would work, but is the 'easy way out' so to speak - as although I was very taken by the bird - the inside out maple leaves were what made me want to paint it. I'm a little drunk now, so I think I may just get in the studio with another beer , stick a little Freddie on and get the paint out and put this little 'torcol' to rest.

thanks everyone - I agree the wryneck needs to be tinkered with (this is the third version already!) - I thought as much and I'm glad to get the confirmation here, the difficulty is getting such a contrastingly patterned bird to sit happily behind the leaves in an unobtrusive shadow yet still be the focal point. Making it bigger would work, but is the 'easy way out' so to speak - as although I was very taken by the bird - the inside out maple leaves were what made me want to paint it. I'm a little drunk now, so I think I may just get in the studio with another beer , stick a little Freddie on and get the paint out and put this little 'torcol' to rest.

torcol being Frogspeak for wryneck

Freddie is of course the late, great Mr Bad Guy - Freddie Mercury. An extraordinarily inspiring voice and character that makes me paint in a flamboyant and raw way - even better if singing with Montserrat Caballé - one of the greatest sopranos of the last century, she's the method and controlled use of a tool. Failing that, REM and Radiohead usually help me paint. Sadly the beer isn't such a good idea, I'm still drinking it yet listening to Dirty Dancing on YouTube instead of painting wrynecks (and hybrid shrikes, curlews and 'imaginations of what quail look like when not being served on a plate')

ah the music. I read it slightly differently due to waking up at 2.00 this morning (stick a little freddie in) and hence came up with a number of different ideas!

Liam you are a very naughty boy!

Love the sandpiper best, the hobbies a very close second and I'm reserving judgement on the wryneck 'till we see the results of the beer and the mustachioed wonder.

Mike

Liam you are a very naughty boy!

Love the sandpiper best, the hobbies a very close second and I'm reserving judgement on the wryneck 'till we see the results of the beer and the mustachioed wonder.

Mike

Or Moustached Warbler? ;) (Freddie that is!)

I'll get my coat! :-C

I still think the Wryneck is fine in the composition. It gives me a reminder of how small these birds actually are!

Ah well! It's still all rather lovely! :t:

Oh! And congrats Nick on your new position! Hope the new job works out good! Have another B :) on me!

(As if you need telling! :cat:)

Nick....exactly how many B :) have you had then tonight...?;)

By chance i was having a chat with rockfowl down the boozer tonight about your work...[and yeah...it's bloody great...as always].
Just took a look at the sandpiper pic...:smoke:...glorious...! And hobbies?...well...i don't really have to say owt do i...?!...so here's an icon coz i can't be bothered to use words...:t:
And why can't i be bothered to 'use' words?...well i'm a bit speechless after Mark told me when i met him that my thread has been butchered by censoring for an as yet unknown reason:eek!: Hope 'the powers that be' have left at least one Queen/freddie track on it for you...i dunno....coz we were having a right giggle with some music links as it always inspirational....

ps.....my plan at present is to put another Queen track on me thread anyway.....like 'The Show must go On'.....;)...if i'm flippin allowed that is...!

ps....that wryneck by the way....you will sort it with your own 'vision' and very soon i'm sure!

finally getting round to posting some sketches from weeks ago.................. the wryneck shall be the centre of attention for a while, now I've fiddled around with it enough, I'll have a look at the reference photos I took of its background and do a 'proper' picture.

Here are some sketches from Pagney - a hare, a great big reedie, a flying GC grebe, sitting lapwing, LRP, digging bee eaters, red-backed shrike.

Attachments

• end may 10 001.JPG
    end may 10 001.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 25
  • end may 10 002.JPG
    end may 10 002.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 27
  • end may 10 003.JPG
    end may 10 003.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 29
  • end may 10 004.JPG
    end may 10 004.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
  • end may 10 005.JPG
    end may 10 005.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 23
and the hybrid Woodchat x Red-backed Shrike -with a supporting cast of curlew, skylark and swallowtail - not illustrated are the very vocal quail.

Linnets sitting on a wall, and a wryneck from Osselle, on exactly the same branch as the one two weeks before - atlas code, probable breeder then!

Attachments

• end may 10 006.JPG
    end may 10 006.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 40
  • end may 10 007.JPG
    end may 10 007.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 29
  • end may 10 008.JPG
    end may 10 008.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 31
  • end may 10 009.JPG
    end may 10 009.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 34
  • end may 10 010.JPG
    end may 10 010.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 34
You really went to town on the shrike didn't you! Loads of brilliantly observed information. I think though what impresses me most is the way that your sketching is always so assured, you have the uncanny ability to see a line, shape etc and draw it as seen without any fannying around trying to find the right one. I just love to see that in action.

Mike

bit more work seeping through - beurk, don't want to go to work in an hour!

Originally I wanted to put something more of the barley field with the quail in than I have here, I may revisit this idea in a very tall thin format. Or maybe I won't, as I have sooooooooo many paintings to do and I'm going to do the wryneck again!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 57
This is the first time I've dropped in on your dining table & very pleased I did. I've just had a quick look & I think your obviously a talented artist, like so many on BF. I like your composition & technique & am looking forward to having a better more prolonged look at your stuff.

Cheers, Neil.

You think I make your jaw drop!!!??

The shrike painting is exquisite, a fantastic piece of work and being a big fan of world shrikes, the studies are fabulous, a rather special bird. I like the new Wryneck, has a better feel and movement, a big leap IMO.

Still in awe of that Common Sand though!

You really went to town on the shrike didn't you! Loads of brilliantly observed information. I think though what impresses me most is the way that your sketching is always so assured, you have the uncanny ability to see a line, shape etc and draw it as seen without any fannying around trying to find the right one. I just love to see that in action.

Mike

Absolutely agree. Just love to see your sketching in action. It always makes me want to drop everything and head out with my drawing materials!

got to work at 12:30 ready to prepare my lesson at 1:30 - cancelled. Next lesson at 5, so I'm still sitting here as I couldn't be bothered to walk home, at least I've got internet, scribbling away trying to think what paintings need to be done in the next few days - eeep, I forgot I went to Petit Noir in April - there's a few more need doing from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back