• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

and more of the place - spot the shrike!

Attachments

• baby shrikes 009small.jpg
    baby shrikes 009small.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 47
  • baby shrikes 016small.jpg
    baby shrikes 016small.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 39
and more of the place - spot the shrike!

Let me be the first...[and last]...to say that i cannot see a shrike in your photos..but i do see a crane...[tho i haven't looked too hard for the lanius]...;)

Those sketches are excellent Nick....absolutely 'buzzing'....:t:

I like.......!

Such fluidity of line - the Dr would have really loved these! I'm getting to the point where I can almost visualise paintings emerging from your drawings, such is the power of the work. Splendido!

Fantastic lively shrikes again, Nick. Such flowing lines and in their purest form capturing the moment. Simply superb sketching.

Russ

here's a composition scribble from waiting for a student to arrive today. I'm going to do the sky in the blue paper I nicked from work, and the wire fence and brambles shall be scraped out of prewaxed paper. The finished result should have a lovely green and yellow flowery patch surrounded by (and isolated by) nasty fence panels and hoarding.

Now just got to find time to do it.

Attachments

• baby shrikes 024.JPG
    baby shrikes 024.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 47
Fantastic lively shrikes again, Nick. Such flowing lines and in their purest form capturing the moment. Simply superb sketching.

Russ

That's it: superb sketching capturing the moment. What more could you ask for?! Splendido as Tim says. Or may Molto Splendido!

Lovely!

That RBS on the fence would make a great "statement" piece. With the hoardings behind it. A competition winner! ;)

Congrats on the broods. Despite.

Here's a digiscoped one from Mor Havrn recently. We have too many broods it seems!

Hope the job stings less after a while!

Frabjous and extraordacious! B :)

Attachments

• sheldlings.jpg
    sheldlings.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 42
sketches seem to flow right out of the pencil...thanks to Tim I saw the shrike on the second go....So you do plan things after all they always look so effortless:t:

Great sketch sheets as ever. Never seen a shrike, (sad ain't it!) but I spotted yours on its somewhat unnatural looking perch so I'm confident that if shrikes and I are ever in the same vicinity then I will get one! Colour work from all this fieldwork sounds dreamy.

Mike

looking forward to the weekend now - painting shrikes, a beer or two, perhaps Pagney tomorrow.

Love the shelducks Phil - we get one or two on migration, but I miss seeing them all over the place - I feel as if I never made the most of their abstract shapes in the heat haze of the Dyfi Estuary.

Mike - if you're in the same vicinity as a shrike you'll see it (Red-backed at least - as we all know Captain Excubitor is a bugger!) The one yesterday was just waiting for me to arrive on his fencepost.

Just been told that work will be keeping me on after the holidays till January at least, so employment worries away, now just got to find time to paint! Maybe I should reduce the time I spend hungover.

sketches seem to flow right out of the pencil...thanks to Tim I saw the shrike on the second go....So you do plan things after all they always look so effortless:t:

I try to plan, but I'm sure it'll all go very differently once I've started!

shrikes n chats- what makes them so wonderful and painter-friendly?

it must in part be because of their fullness of line, like the eider thing: they radiate a sort of cheery healthiness

Great sketches Nick. However, it's never a comforting sight to see a neat bird with construction cranes in the background! It doesn't bode well for bird habitat.
Looking forward to the final works from these sketches--quick before a new building takes over his habitat.

so this is what our shrikes ended uplooking like - it could stand to be a little bit less yellow, but I can't really do anything about that now - in fact I think the abstract blob of yellow colour creates a nice warm oasis of nature surrounded by encroaching "progress".

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 60
Uniquely yours Nick. Just full of creativity and surprise. For me I think the yellow adds a pleasant surprise. More than anything else though I love the fact that you've take a true, though not conventionally beautiful scene, and made a striking painting out of it. That's hard to beat!

Nick,

That is astonishing! The mix of abstract and "actual". The morphing of the two. The "heart-shaped Ringlet". The bold sections of colour. The best abstract sky i've seen.

This is an idiosyncratic delight from you!

I loooove it to distraction! It's very exciting! And very joyful, despite the encroaching Human stuff! Brilliance!

Michael Warren watch out!

A very clever, bold painting Nick that really strikes home on several levels. The contrast of yellow and grey and the isolation of the warm yellow in the bottom left corner very effective, the male on the fence outside the warm zone reinforces the sense of encroachment. Heart shaped butterfly, brilliant. This one has your stamp all over it, creativly notable and a winning, provoking painting...

[When i see such artwork i just 'have' to show my appreciation of it]...!

Nick....you have really nailed 'it' with that shrike composition...it is simply quite brilliant...

ps...[i will say no more as the pic says it all really].....

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back