• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2014 (1 Viewer)

Absolutely loving this thread, seriously thinking about going, had a talk with one of my pals about going next year, however he a bit wary of the bears and any poisonous snakes/insects, and since I haven't done any homework on the area, don't know the possibly of bumping in to any snakes/spiders, so could not reassure him it wouldn't be a problem, bears I know are only in certain areas and the chances of us bumping in to one are very slim and Ratal mate if he is not up for it, we can just go and miss the Hebrides. ;)

Rosbifs,
We'll be in Luz, first week of September, any update on what's around would be gratefully read.
ATB
David

Charles, I think you've written about Citril Finches but I've seen them only once in the 17 years I've been visiting, and that was between Bucharo and the Breche de Roland. Is there anywhere where the chances would be good for the week after next?
ATB
David

Well at last the binos have been out!!

Col Soulor today. Missed some great migration - they passed 50,000 Black Kites for the year (yes I know Bantumi does better), some Storks, first Osprey yesterday and some Monties Harriers. Today was a little indifferent because there was low cloud - did I care? No - first proper sortie for nearly 6 weeks....

Anyway, good news - I stopped at the Gypo Vulture nest on the way down - two fledged young - fantastic. At Soulor some Black Kites, Honey Buzzard on migration and the usual local suspects - 2nd year Lammy, Adult Lammy, ST Eagle (common in England I believe), Booted Eagle, Grifters and an Alpine Swift (very rare here).

Tried for the Wallcreeper but no joy but then can't have everything.

Back to the grindstone.

Dragnil - I would try round the plateau on the walk to the hotel de cirque at Gavarnie. Both sides of the river - the right side is usually tourist free - had Sharpie Green Wood there last year as well... Another good place also at Gavarnie is around the hotel or on the 'high' route back - refuge paille (or something similar).
A word of warning - there are 3000 Belges coming next thursday for a cycling event - I think they are doing Hautacam Friday and Tourmalet Saturday 30th...

'Ecky Thump! We're arriving on the 30th and I've got no sweaty lycra. We usually avoid the crowds and coaches on Sundays by going to Plateau de Saugue, we'll try Gavarnie later in the week I think. Thanks.
David

Back at the Soulor. Weather fine and birds moving.
Gruissan had 1820 White Stork on Saturday and Organbidexka has had 2 consecutive days of 1500 Honeys.

It was about the same as last week - 1,000 or so Black Kite, 500 Honeys, 2 Black Stork but I missed a couple of Monties that went through early. A couple of Eagles have started moving - juv Booted and one adult going through along with 2 adults that were 'local' birds, and a ST Eagle leaving and one kicking around.

Real news was a sick Lesser Kestrel picked up in Luz. I saw the bird when it was flying around and though I had a real hunch it was Lesser it was easier to continue! There were 25+ Lessers in this field about 3 years ago...

Lesser Kestrel

Lesser Kestrel died...

The big question was 'was a young male or an adult female'? I said young male but the parks guy couldn't decide between the two - he is a 'ringer'.

Attachments

• crecerelette 1.jpg
    crecerelette 1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 170
  • crecerelette 2.jpg
    crecerelette 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 155
  • crecerelette 3.jpg
    crecerelette 3.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 166
  • crecerelette 4.jpg
    crecerelette 4.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 172
  • crecerelette 5.jpg
    crecerelette 5.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 168
That's really interesting because in September 2005 I was intrigued by a flock of about 70 kestrels on the slopes above and to the north of the Champion. Never got close enough for a firm ID but the fact of such a large group in a flock suggested to me the Lesser version ...

Certainly would point to Lesser! I had 25 on Saugue about 2007. Then there were 30 Lesser Kestrel reported in the fields opposite camping international 3 years ago (I didn't see them and didn't really believe the report). 2012 saw 25 confirmed on the Tourmalet and then last year odd numbers on the Soulor migration watchpoint.

The feeling were that these have been spanish birds expanding north before migrating south although also coincides with number increases in the Aude and Herault areas... Interestingly the migration route seems to be more inland than the direct Gruissan route i.e. following the coast.

Dragnil - have you got to Luz yet? Any joy? Rock Thrush and RB Shrike still above Gavarnie the other day.

Last edited:
Not with you yet, leaving home this afternoon and crossing La Manche tomorrow, arriving Luz Sat pm. I'll pop in and say hello.
ATB
David

Bit of a change today - went Canyoning - generally you walk down a gorge with various jumps slides and abseils. Great fun and I didn't bottle the 7-8 metre jump!

On the birding front a Lammergeier passed over gving great views. I guess he was waiting to see if I would left behind on the jump...

Again a migration day at the Soulor - ok its easy...

During the last week there hasn't been a great deal of exciting stuff which is good news for me as I haven't missed anything. They have hit 53232 Black Kites now!

Today was a very quiet day - maybe a couple of 100 B Kites, 50 Honeys, Osprey and 7 Marsh Harriers with again the supporting cast of Lammy, ST Eagle, dark and light Booted Eagle. I had to leave about 2.30 which is generally an hour or so too early for the Storks which seem to be passing about 4pm.

Back to work...

Twitching!

True to form number of twitchers = me

Bird = Roller (juv)

Reported two days ago although id confirmed yesterday afternoon. Short trip up the road and a short walk the bird was exactly where it should have been. In fairness didn't have a great deal of time before it dissappeared. I did refind it about 45 mins later but a long way away...

Attachments

• IMG_0191(2).JPG
    IMG_0191(2).JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 101
Now that we are in the cycle of having days off been out twice! Actually a third if you count going back for the Roller on Monday evening - still in the same place...

Tuesday was Soulor - it was a fairly quiet day but there was quite a lot of variety. Booted, Short Toed, Golden Eagles, Griffon and Lammy vultures, kestrel and Hobby, a few March Harriers going through and both Storks.

The highlight was just when packing up to leave a Lammy came up with a Black Stork - great.

Wednesday - went back for the Roller with a friend - no luck. Went for the Accentor - no luck. Not really our day but had a good few suppurting cast with close views of a Goldie and Short Toad, both chough, some Marsh Harriers again and a great view of a pair of Lammies! At the Roller site managed to get 2 Cuckoos, Whinchat and a few bits and pieces.

Got some news about our Lesser Kestrel which was ringed as a chick at the Crau at 160grams - 82grams here dead...

Attachments

• IMG_0210(1).JPG
    IMG_0210(1).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0218(1).JPG
    IMG_0218(1).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0230(1).JPG
    IMG_0230(1).JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 119
What an incredible thread. Seriously, the list of Raptors alone is making my mouth water lol.

Thanks for the running commentary / inspiration.

R

The Creeper

For the sake of not being repetitive been elsewhere than the Soulor - unfortunately not much about! That said did get a Rock Thrush -probably the last of the summer and then today wow...

The bird kept hiding just past a lip and then when he flew to within a metre I had focussed a metre to the left! Very happy with some of the snaps though. Managed to get a Rock Bunting as well, 15 Serins and then to cap it a Lammy on the way home in time for morning coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_0262(1).JPG
    IMG_0262(1).JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0239(1).JPG
    IMG_0239(1).JPG
    674.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0241(1).JPG
    IMG_0241(1).JPG
    558.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0245(1).JPG
    IMG_0245(1).JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0254(1).JPG
    IMG_0254(1).JPG
    815.8 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back