• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing on black bird (CP4500) (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This morning, I had a smooth-billed ani sit in the top of a tree a little from our veranda. The distance was a little large, but should have been able to give a "bird in landscape" type picture usable for the WEB. I was not able to completely fill the focusing bracket with the bird, but i shot about 10 pictures hoping that one of them would be good. However, in every instance the focus was on a branch far behind the bird. I am aware that I could have tried to move closer and fill the bracket to maybe have the camera focus where I wanted, but my question is: Is there any setting on the camera that I have overlooked that would have helped on my problem?

Thanks
Niels

Niels,I think there is a very simple answer to your query,unfortunatley I am not able to give you the same,but I do know there will be someone who will do so for you.

Hi Niels,

The techniquie that works for me in such circumstances is to set up the camera as you have done using the focus bracket and then when I'm ready to take a shot, just half depress the shutter button and use the scope focus control to finely focus via the LCD. If you have the 'focus assist' activated it is a big help as you can easily see the in focus area move across the LCD as you adjust the scope focus control.

On a Blackbird exposure can sometimes be a problem as if you expose for the body of the bird, everything else comes out too light. It's a good example of when the EV +/- comes into play - usually 0.7 is enough adjustment or if you're a little closer to the bird, the yellow bill works well for exposure.

Thanks for the replies. I should have included the fact that I was using the TC-E3 ED at the time. The best would probably have been to use manual focus for the shots - however, the bird flew off even when I was taking the ordinary first shots.

Thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back