• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

32mm binoculars needed (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

Can anyone make a recommendation on a good mid-priced 32mm binocular? Just bought a set of SLC's, so my budget is a little tight.

I want the 32mm's for general use; not extended periods of viewing. I would prefer roofs with twist-up eyecups, something that will offer a mid-priced view with little to no stray light.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Wild Birds and take a look at Eagle Optics Ranger Platinums. My wife uses a pair and they are excellent and mid-priced.

Jaeger near Chicago

Jaeger01 said:
Go to Wild Birds and take a look at Eagle Optics Ranger Platinums. My wife uses a pair and they are excellent and mid-priced.

Jaeger near Chicago

I have the Ranger Platinum Roof Prism's in their 6 x 32 format for general use in the house and car. Believe me, they are a great binocular! They have twist up eyecups and a 420' FOV at 1000 yards and are very bright in twilight situations. They also focus down to 4 feet which makes them a great Butterfly and Bug Bino. I take them flyfishing with me to ID bugs floating on the water. Don't let the 6X scare you, you can hold them easily with one hand and you won't be able to tell them from 7X.

Stud Duck said:
Can anyone make a recommendation on a good mid-priced 32mm binocular? Just bought a set of SLC's, so my budget is a little tight.

I want the 32mm's for general use; not extended periods of viewing. I would prefer roofs with twist-up eyecups, something that will offer a mid-priced view with little to no stray light.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you can get hold of a Nikon 8x32 HG DCF (Venturer LX in the US). These are still available at great discount prices in the UK, since the newer Light version were introduced last summer. We can get them for £379 over here.

Either the Pentax DCF SP 8x32s or XP 8x33s. I have seen both for under $350 US on various interent sites. I think both offer very good optics just a step or two below the big dogs. The XPs I owned, in particular, had a very good center field resolution and a relatively flat field in general though the field of view was on the narrow side at around 342 feet (6.5 degrees). The SPs, which I might still get, had a wider field of view at a little over 390 feet, IIRC.

The Eagle Optics Rangers are good, but are pricey for the quality. If you are inclined toward the Rangers, take a look at the Celestron 8x32 Noble as a cheaper alternative/equivalent.
--AP

Does anyone have any experience with the Browning 8x32mm, (I think they're manufactured by Bushnell, but wear a Browning badge) or the Brunton 8x32mm Echos?

I know that their not the best binos in the world, but that's what I bought my Swaro's for. Just looking for a constant companion bino to save the wear and tear of my Swaro's.

Alexis Powell said:
The Eagle Optics Rangers are good, but are pricey for the quality. If you are inclined toward the Rangers, take a look at the Celestron 8x32 Noble as a cheaper alternative/equivalent.
--AP

I agree, I really liked the looks of the Eagle Optics Rangers, but felt that they were a little more than what I was looking for, I'll check out the Nobles'.

Last edited:
Alexis Powell said:
--AP

Took a look at the Celestron Nobles'. Was really impressed with what I saw (over the internet) especially the No-Fault Warranty.

I've never had a set of Celestron Nobles' in my hand, what other mid-priced 32mm bins would you put them on par with?

Does anyone have any experience with the Browning 8x32mm,

I do not own them but I have looked through them several times while at one of the local optics counters. I thought they were quite good actually....possibly a bit sharper than Bushnell's own 8x32 mm...and, yes, Bushnell does manufacturer them. Pricewise I have seen them around $250-$300 depending on where you are searching.

Nice little ergonomic design in my opinion.

Stud Duck said:
Took a look at the Celestron Nobles'. Was really impressed with what I saw (over the internet) especially the No-Fault Warranty.

I've never had a set of Celestron Nobles' in my hand, what other mid-priced 32mm bins would you put them on par with?

The Celestrons are on par with all the other binos in this thread (slight exceptions in my opinion: I think they are better than the Pentax XP, not as good as the Nikon LX). The biggest consistent differences among these models have to do with the ergonomics and quality of the housings. The optics of these models are nearly, if not actually, identical, with one very important qualification--there can be HUGE differences in optical quality from unit to unit of the same model.
--AP

Alexis Powell said:
The Celestrons are on par with all the other binos in this thread (slight exceptions in my opinion: I think they are better than the Pentax XP, not as good as the Nikon LX). The biggest consistent differences among these models have to do with the ergonomics and quality of the housings. The optics of these models are nearly, if not actually, identical, with one very important qualification--there can be HUGE differences in optical quality from unit to unit of the same model.
--AP

I believe that, you get into quality control issues with binos in this price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back