• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharon's Pics (1 Viewer)

abbotalefan

Hello all

Have been a long-time lurker in this forum, enjoying viewing all the output of its talented contributors. Decided it was time to add my contribution!

I enjoy using line and wash, but my current obsession is linocut printmaking - it's totally addictive. Here are a couple of my recent efforts...

First is a one-colour linocut, long-tailed tits, printed area about 6 by 8 inches on Zerkall 210gsm paper. The other one is a little egret and is a reduction linocut, 6 by 8 inches again.

Hope you like 'em!

Attachments

• DSC_3430.jpg
    DSC_3430.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_3220.jpg
    DSC_3220.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 172
Nice one Sharon! I particularly like the egret - a strikingly effective combination of design & colours. I've been intending to get to grips with lino-printing myself but can't pluck up the courage to have a go. Any tips for an aspiring 'printer'?

LL

Thanks for the feedback:t:

Len, I'd just say have a go. I signed up for a printmaking course at my local college, but it never ran cos there wasn't enough interest. So I just did my own thing anyway. I bought this book, which I found useful, and these lino cutting tools, which are cheap enough to just have a go with to see how you like the whole process. I use the back of a wooden spoon to burnish, and at the moment I'm using a 'soft-cut' type lino, but lino floor tiles from the local DIY place are just as good (I'm still trying different stuff out!). Hope this is helpful!

Thanks Arthur, appreciated!

Another couple from the archive...

DSC_3216-003.jpg

Ink and watercolour, quarter sheet

DSCF1874.jpg

Reduction linocut, printed area 4 by 6 inches

Very belated Happy New Year to you all!

Some more birdy art from me...

The pencil drawing is of a sadly expired long-tailed tit, drawn from life, and the other two pages are biro sketches of goldfinches, from photos I took a few years back.

Off to have a look at what everyone's been up to:t:

Attachments

• DSCF2078.jpg
    DSCF2078.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF2084.jpg
    DSCF2084.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF2085.jpg
    DSCF2085.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 102
I enjoyed my hour doing the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch yesterday morning. My highlight was a flock of 11 goldfinches, up in the top of the tree at the bottom of the garden. Inspiration to get the brushes wet... Ink and watercolour, 5 by 7"

Attachments

• DSCF2091.jpg
    DSCF2091.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the comments, you guys are lovely:t:

Here's a biro drawing from my own ref, very much inspired by this forum's Paschalis Dougalis (spizaetos).

Attachments

• DSCF2100.jpg
    DSCF2100.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 87
I have treated myself to a baby etching press (it's really small!), so I've been having a go at some drypoint; this one is with chine colle (fancy French term meaning 'stuck-on tissue paper'!)

img-140628131320-002.jpg
This is the first print, nice crisp lines

img-140628131320-001.jpg
And this is the last print of six, lines less crisp! Also it shows the variation in tone that you can get depending on how much ink you wipe from the plate before putting it through the press. I used acetate film here as a plate, and scratched the image in with a drypoint tool (big sharp pointy needle...)

Hope you like these; I'm having fun with this technique!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back