• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

If they are built like the previous ones one can take them anywhere without worries about dust, water etc. unless one wants to use them at diving expeditions.

Absolutely. I find some of the complaints about the "lack of waterproofing" quite ludicrous, actually. I know of quite a few Trinovids that survived very hard use in the field for decades until the owners replaced them with phase-coated roofs because of their opticval superiority. And I know of supposedly "waterproof" binoculars that leaked like a sieve. And no, I'm not referring to the infamous Allbinos incident.

Hermann

Absolutely. I find some of the complaints about the "lack of waterproofing" quite ludicrous, actually. I know of quite a few Trinovids that survived very hard use in the field for decades until the owners replaced them with phase-coated roofs because of their opticval superiority. And I know of supposedly "waterproof" binoculars that leaked like a sieve. And no, I'm not referring to the infamous Allbinos incident.

Hermann

Fully agree.
When I was young, I did my military service like everybody else in Switzerland, and being quite a binocular geek already then, I had my Leitz Trinovid 10x40 with me as an artillery officer almost every day for many years of service (every officer in the army got his Kern 8x30, so I had to have something else;), which caused quite a few remarks from higher ranking officers, until in the end they all called me „binocular officer“).
The Leitz got quite a few beatings but survived unharmed. Water prooofing was never an issue, and the 1970s made 10x40 still serve me today occaionally (I recently had them cleaned by Leica service and the eyecups replaced).
There is no doubt I will want to buy the new Trinovid 10x40 when they come out.

Canip

Here is what one reviewer had to say about the older Leica Trinovid 10x40's concerning water resistance and dust. I am sure the new models will be at least as good. The link to the review is below.

"Nothing moves externally when you adjust the focus. Everything outside remains fixed, and sealed to the elements. No dust, spray or moisture can enter due to all the seals. The Trinovids are airtight. There are silicon disks that help keep everything out. No, they are not intended to be dropped into water, but they should stand more rain or splashing than anyone who can afford them would stand themselves. They are designed to withstand a lot more than Leitz ever claimed. Today's premium binoculars are rated for submersion, but let's get real: binoculars are useless for SCUBA because of limited visibility underwater, and none of them will work with a face mask."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/trinovid/10x40.htm

Last edited:
Here is what one reviewer had to say about the older Leica Trinovid 10x40's concerning water resistance and dust. I am sure the new models will be at least as good. The link to the review is below.

"Nothing moves externally when you adjust the focus. Everything outside remains fixed, and sealed to the elements. No dust, spray or moisture can enter due to all the seals. The Trinovids are airtight. There are silicon disks that help keep everything out. No, they are not intended to be dropped into water, but they should stand more rain or splashing than anyone who can afford them would stand themselves. They are designed to withstand a lot more than Leitz ever claimed. Today's premium binoculars are rated for submersion, but let's get real: binoculars are useless for SCUBA because of limited visibility underwater, and none of them will work with a face mask."

Absolutely right.

Nice post Dennis.

Lee

So none of you have ever been fording a stream, slipped, and ended in chest deep or worse?

I have... Which would you rather have around your neck, the Trinovid or an Ultravid?

45northmt, post 85,
I prefer to have nothing around my neck in such circumstances, but if you have and it happens to be a not absolutely immersion proof binocular around your neck, you took the wrong decision to start with. And if it happens by accident since you did not think it imaginable beforehand, one has to accept that accidents happen.....
Gijs van Ginkel

45northmt, post 85,
I prefer to have nothing around my neck in such circumstances, but if you have and it happens to be a not absolutely immersion proof binocular around your neck, you took the wrong decision to start with. And if it happens by accident since you did not think it imaginable beforehand, one has to accept that accidents happen.....
Gijs van Ginkel

You're in the mountain wilderness for a week, rifle slung over your shoulder, binoculars around the neck and tucked under the armpit, 45lb backpack on and the only way forward is a stream crossing... what are you going to do? Call in a helicopter? Many times I've had to strip off boots and pants to ford a freezing cold stream in the fall.

Thing is, while I am a birder and live in the middle of the finest raptor migration route in the Western USA, I also spend time in real wilderness, on my own, for days at a time. This is not on any trail system where foot bridges are available.

How about a wilderness river trip in a canoe? Many years ago I dumped a canoe in rapids and ruined a non-waterproof 7x35 binocular.

Seems many of you judge others (some rather condescendingly I might add) based on your own experience. Experience can be DEEP, but very NARROW simultaneously as I think many of the posts here indicate...

Last edited:
So you're in the mountain wilderness for a week, rifle slung over your shoulder, binoculars around the neck and tucked under the armpit, 45lb backpack on and the only way forward is a stream crossing... what are you going to do? Call in a helicopter? Many times I've had to strip off boots and pants to ford a freezing cold stream in the fall.

Thing is, while I am a birder and live in the middle of the finest raptor migration route in the Western USA, I also spend time in real wilderness, on my own, for days at a time. This is not on any trail system where foot bridges are available.

Seems many of you judge others thoughts based on your own experience. Experience can be DEEP, but very NARROW simultaneously as I think many of these posts indicate...

Yes our thoughts are based on our own experiences but none have been as clearly judgemental as yours are.

By all means get the binocular you think is best for your uses and let others do the same without any criticism about their choices.

Bob

45northmt, post 87,
I have been in circumstances like you describe, only the rifle under my arm pit or over my shoulder was not in my civilian time but in the military, but in my civilian time I crossed mountain streams all over the world and when I knew that this type of circumstances would come on my way, I either packed my binoculars in a waterproof container or I took a binocular from which I was sure of that I could swim with it for some time without water entering the instrument. In that case I did not choose a binocular from which I was not absolutely certain that it could stand immersion in at least half a meter of water for at least a day.
I am nod judging you, but you do have a choice and if you take a binocular of which you are not 100% sure that it is absolutely immersion proof, well than there are consequences. In that case you may have to decide not to buy the new Trinovid or take the risk, dump it into a bucket of water for a day and see what happens.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes our thoughts are based on our own experiences but none have been as clearly judgemental as yours are.

By all means get the binocular you think is best for your uses and let others do the same without any criticism about their choices.

Bob

Show me one instance where I criticized another's choice... I didn't. I have just complained generally the new Trinovid is not waterproof.

45northmt, post 87,
I have been in circumstances like you describe, only the rifle under my arm pit or over my shoulder was not in my civilian time but in the military, but in my civilian time I crossed mountain streams all over the world and when I knew that this type of circumstances would come on my way, I either packed my binoculars in a waterproof container or I took a binocular from which I was sure of that I could swim with it for some time without water entering the instrument. In that case I did not choose a binocular from which I was not absolutely certain that it could stand immersion in at least half a meter of water for at least a day.
I am nod judging you, but you do have a choice and if you take a binocular of which you are not 100% sure that it is absolutely immersion proof, well than there are consequences. In that case you may have to decide not to buy the new Trinovid or take the risk, dump it into a bucket of water for a day and see what happens.
Gijs van Ginkel

I don't disagree that's often the best idea, and one I have done in the past with pre-waterproof binoculars, but it also slows one down... human nature being what it is, one can't always count on one's best judgement in every circumstance, always. In the 21st Century, a waterproof binocular is not a lot to ask...

Last edited:

Dennis,

Rockwell's review is a good one but you have to use some caution with the FOV he gives for his particular model.

He has a Leitz Trinovid 10x40 which has a FOV of 122meters @ 1000meters.

There are 2 other Leitz Trinovid 10x40 binoculars which have FOVs of 110meters @ 1000meters. They are the Leitz Trinovid 10x40B and the Leitz Trinovid 10x40BA (armored). They are suitable for eye glass wearers.

The new Leica Trinovid 10x40 will also have a FOV of 110meters @ 1000meters.

I have an 1983 version of the Leitz Trinovid 7x42 BA which I used for many years. I replaced it with a new Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN and compared the 2 of them the day I got the Leica. I still remember how surprised I was by the improvement in the brightness and the colors that the Leica showed over the Leitz! I think we will see that kind of change and probably more with the new Leica Trinovids

Bob

Last edited:
You're in the mountain wilderness for a week, rifle slung over your shoulder, binoculars around the neck and tucked under the armpit, 45lb backpack on and the only way forward is a stream crossing... what are you going to do? Call in a helicopter? Many times I've had to strip off boots and pants to ford a freezing cold stream in the fall.

How about a wilderness river trip in a canoe? Many years ago I dumped a canoe in rapids and ruined a non-waterproof 7x35 binocular.

Seems many of you judge others (some rather condescendingly I might add) based on your own experience. Experience can be DEEP, but very NARROW simultaneously as I think many of the posts here indicate...

Did it, done it, got the T-shirt, but I would never take a new Trinnie 7x35 on such a trip. For me it would not be my working bin, but my emotion bin. I love the way she is built. For me her only compatitors are the B&L Elite 7x42, the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42, the SLC 7x30 and the EL 8x42 (old model). If Leica would bring out that new Trinnie I would even buy it just to own one. It's grandmother has given me so much pleasure in the past and a retrofit with uptodate glass etc would be more that welcome under a certain tree.
Take that baby out in conditions you described? Never. A new CL 8x30? 24/7 7 days a week.

Getting soft on my age, must be Christmas timeB :)

Last edited:
Sometimes a photo can help express the size of the original Trinovid. The slender barrels and
sleek design are timeless.

Here is a 10x40, pictured with 2 newer Leica's.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1170.JPG
    DSCN1170.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 159
Did it, done it, got the T-shirt, but I would never take a new Trinnie 7x35 on such a trip. For me it would not be my working bin, but my emotion bin. I love the way she is built. For me her only compatitors are the B&L Elite 7x42, the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42, the SLC 7x30 and the EL 8x42 (old model). If Leica would bring out that new Trinnie I would even buy it just to own one. It's grandmother has given me so much pleasure in the past and a retrofit with uptodate glass etc would be more that welcome under a certain tree.
Take that baby out in conditions you described? Never. A new CL 8x30? 24/7 7 days a week.

Getting soft on my age, must be Christmas timeB :)

'My emotion bin' is a good way to express it.

But you getting soft Jan, has nothing to do with Christmas... :-O

Lee

Sometimes a photo can help express the size of the original Trinovid. The slender barrels and
sleek design are timeless.

Here is a 10x40, pictured with 2 newer Leica's.

Jerry

That is a great pic Jerry, especially with that ex-loaner red Trinnie in the line-up.
You know I'm a Zeisser although not so mad as I used to be, but those old Trinovids are just so elegant.

Lee

An older Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN would be good for wilderness and foraging rivers. I wouldn't take the new Leica Trinovid 7x35 out in those conditions. It is not made for that. Ceasar I know what you mean by the difference between the older Leitz and the newer Leica Trinovid's. I think we are going to see a big improvement in the optics on the new Trinovid. Troub I think a new Leica Trinovid in 7x35 would suit a Brit like you just perfect for those nicer birding days in the UK.

Troub I think a new Leica Trinovid in 7x35 would suit a Brit like you just perfect for those nicer birding days in the UK.

Yes I know and the 3 metre close focus is better than on the 8x or 10x.
But £1200 is expensive for nostalgia. But I must admit I keep thinking about it.....

Lee

Last edited:
So none of you have ever been fording a stream, slipped, and ended in chest deep or worse?

I have... Which would you rather have around your neck, the Trinovid or an Ultravid?

I had a $1500 bin [Elite] ruined in an hour long deluge - I did my best to protect the bin but, in the end, one tube fogged and never fully recovered. That was the end of ''nearly'' waterproof bins for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back