• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darwin's Finches (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

From the Galapagos, a collection of finches!

1) Pretty sure this is a Cactus Finch. From Isabela near the Wall of Tears.

2) Also from Isabela near the Wall of Tears

3) Actually ON the Wall of Tears in Isabela.

4) Another Isabela bird (not near the Wall). This was on a walk by one of the volcanos, possibly the most southern volcano on the island.

5) From Santa Cruz Island, this guy was hanging out on the beach.

I really don't have any idea on 2-5. I've looked at the beak shapes quite a few times, but it's pretty subtle differences between a lot of the birds.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Darwin's Finch 1.jpg
    Darwin's Finch 1.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Darwin's Finch 2.jpg
    Darwin's Finch 2.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 49
  • Darwin's Finch 3.jpg
    Darwin's Finch 3.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Darwin's Finch 4.jpg
    Darwin's Finch 4.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Darwin's Finch 5.jpg
    Darwin's Finch 5.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Brian. Anything particular point towards medium ground finch?

The bill of medium ground finch is of course variable - and quite often they are mis-identified. I did the illustrations for HBW of these and spent a lot of time measuring the bill depths (and of course small- and large-billed).

I feel that Small-billed are smaller than yours and Large-billed just too massively billed to be these - hence ID by exclusion. All other plumage details not helpful

Brian S

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back