• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dendrocopos woodpecker - Plzen, Czech Republic, 13th August 2017 (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

I was going over a few pictures of a holiday in the Czech Republic in august, when I found these pictures of a woodpecker in Plzen. I was wondering whether this was a juvenile great spotted or a middle spotted woodpecker?

I'm personally more inclined to say middle spotted for multiple reasons, but am not entirely convinced about my identification.
My reasons for thinking middle spotted are the slightly streaked belly, the very red cap with only a very light black stripe underneath the back half of it, the lack of both black stripes connecting the spot on the side of its face to the back of its face, and the wing pattern with many small white spots.

The pale red vent with diffuse border is also very noticeable, but that is a characteristic of both middle spotted adult and great spotted juveniles. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the front of the face, as that would make identifying this bird a lot easier.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4448.jpg
    IMG_4448.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4443.jpg
    IMG_4443.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 42
Thanks all!
Could you point out what exactly is the reasoning behind the exclusion of great spotted as a possibility?

The most characteristic feature of GSW (IMHO), which separates it from all other European woodpeckers, is the black bridge on the side of the face/neck, between the nape and the bill. In MSW, it is reduced to a (sort of) triangular patch, not connecting to either side. In Syrian and White-backed, it only connects to the bill (in, LSW, it's sort of between those).

Your first picture shows a gap between the black areas of the nape and the black patch (also, the extent of white on the face and wings is typical of MSW).

Last edited:
Thanks all!
Could you point out what exactly is the reasoning behind the exclusion of great spotted as a possibility?

The fine striation on the underparts is also well visible. Lots of white on the wing feathers (numerous white bars) and large white area above and behind the eye (smaller on other species).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back