• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32s: Hawke Endurance HD vs Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II (1 Viewer)

I'm considering buying an 8x32 binocular. The models I'm currently looking at are the Hawke Endurance ED and the Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II (effectively the same as the Sightron Blue Sky II). Both are approximately the same cost but my local dealer doesn't stock the Kenko so I can't just go and try them side by side and pick the one I prefer. Given the choice which would you choose? (Or a completely different model?) If anyone has used both models which one is sharper and/or has better control of chromatic aberration?

Last edited:
I'm considering buying an 8x32 binocular. The models I'm currently looking at are the Hawke Endurance ED and the Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II (effectively the same as the Sightron Blue Sky II). Both are approximately the same cost but my local dealer doesn't stock the Kenko so I can't just go and try them side by side and pick the one I prefer. Given the choice which would you choose? (Or a completely different model?) If anyone has used both models which one is sharper and/or has better control of chromatic aberration?

Here are 2 separate reviews of each one you might want to look over. The Kenko, much like the Sightron Blue Sky II, has a FOV which is not as wide as it is stated to be. More like 393'@1000 yards rather than 420'@ 1000 yards: very close to the Hawke's 388'@1000 yards.

Eye relief at a stated 18mm for the Hawke is slightly longer than the stated 17.5mm for the Kenko. The Allbinos review is of the Kenko.

http://www.allbinos.com/203-binoculars_review-Kenko_Ultra_View_OP_8x32_DH.html

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Hawke8x32EnduranceED-161.htm

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I have actually already seen both of those reviews and noticed that the first one is for the DH rather than the DH II. I am assuming from the reports on the DH II / Sightron Bluesky II that the newer model is a significant improvement.

Thanks Bob. I have actually already seen both of those reviews and noticed that the first one is for the DH rather than the DH II. I am assuming from the reports on the DH II / Sightron Bluesky II that the newer model is a significant improvement.

Here are the stats that Allbinos gives for the DH II: It may be improved in certain aspects but not in FOV.

http://www.allbinos.com/1196-Kenko_New_8x32_DH_II_SGWP-binoculars_specifications.html

The Angular FOV of the Kenko DH II is 7.4º which works out to 388.5' @ 1000 yards.

The 8º or 420'@1000yards that is given for the Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky II has always been incorrect. It is even incorrect on their website. This information has been discussed many times on the big Sightron 8x32 thread found here on Bird Forum. (Here it is: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793)

Below is Sightron's website info on the 8x32 Blue Sky II.

https://sightronusa.com/index.php/product/siibl32/

Bob

PS: I should state that a FOV of 390'@1000yards is not bad at all for an 8x32 binocular and, in fact, it might be a good thing for
economically priced binoculars like the Kenko and the Sightron because it is more costly to put wide field eye pieces in these small binoculars and good ones don't come at budget prices.

Last edited:
Can it really be that given the huge following for the Sightron on these boards there is no one who has also used the Hawke and can advise either way?

One of the forum regulars reviewed the Kenko a while back and I think it's likely he's seen the Hawke as well, but he hasn't put in an appearance recently.

I've not seen seen either the Sightron or the Kenko, but have tried the Hawke a couple of times and recently posted a report on the Fujinon member of the Kenko family in the Equipment Review section, and have tried the Pentax/Ricoh a couple of times as well. The Fujinon has a much higher RRP than the Kenko, and while the detail of the descriptions match, I can't say with certainty they are exactly the same. Though I didn't have a chance to directly compare the Fujis to the Hawkes either, for what it's worth, there is little doubt in my mind, I would choose the Fujinon for it's cleaner, sharper view. Sounds like there is a good chance it might be the same way with the Kenko.

David

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I didn't see there was a reply this morning and went to look at the models I could try locally. I ended up leaving with a Hawke Frontier instead of the Endurance I originally was looking at.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back