• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid 2013 for New Gold Ring (1 Viewer)

Nothing more was offered....

All I asked was "when" and all he said was "mid-2013."

I thought it would have been a great chance for Leupold to whet appetites with some basic info, but, perhaps, it's still to early.

Besides, the still far off "mid-2013" date gives me the the impression that some basic decisions have yet to be made... such as, if Leupold is going to make the investment (in the US) to design and market another series of binoculars meant to challenge the German-Austrian grip on the alpha title (no offense to Nikon or Japan). Truth be told, I wish they would.

If they did enter that price territory, i could not afford them.
Would be nice though to have something in 10x42 like i have with mine.

Take pause....

Jay,
Take pause before you lay out for 10x binoculars to supplement 8x. I started with 8x30 binoculars and then "moved up" to 10x42 Leica Ultravids. I had them for a couple of years before I got Zeiss Victory FL 8x42's. It didn't take long before I realized I was almost always leaving the Leica's on the shelf. I sold them a few months ago and don't miss them. That said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a top-shelf pair of 8x32's - like the ones you have.

Any more info than that (I am a happy owner if the 8x32 GR HD) :t:

I would like to be an owner of an 8x32 GR HD II if they shaved off 8-10 oz. from the weight and gave it the open bridge ergonomics of an 8x32 EL or an 8x32 EDG I.

If they keep the closed bridge design the weight reduction might be problematic w/out going to a polycarbonate body. Nikon managed to do it with their full sized HGLs, but they only shaved an ounce off the 32mm versions.

The GR's optics already have great reviews, the most common criticism seems to be the heavier than average weight.

CALL 1-800-JENNY20. She'll know what to do. :)

Thanks for the link, Jay. You gave them an "8," and 8x32 SE, "9," they must be VG.

I suspected the eyecups were wide from looking at the pix, but you confirmed it with your comment about them being "wider than most'.

This might contribute to the "comfort of the view" but for my deep set eyes, might not contribute to the comfort on my face.

The other thing I noticed was the location of the strap lugs, which seemed too far forward, but it's hard to tell because the photo was taken with the bins angled toward the camera. Some bins such as the 8x32 Pentax seem to have the strap lugs right in the place where the fleshy part of my palm would rest (btwn thumb and forefinger). My large hands usually cover midsized roofs entirely.

If the Loopys have suitably positioned thumb indents, I believe the full sized models do, that would help with the weight, by supporting the bins from the bottom with my thumbs.

Be interesting to see what they do with the new model - if they found a way to reduce the weight and if they keep them colored brown (the GRs are standard issue for UPS drivers looking for house addresses :) or make them black or green.

Brock

oops....

Jay....Sorry for the "take pause" advice offered earlier. I didn't know you are far more versed than I on the subject. I look forward to your future posts.

If the Loopys have suitably positioned thumb indents, [/QUOTE
Yes, they do have indents.

When mine came out, (2-3 years ago?) the MSRP on them was a little over $1400 U.S.D. At that time, that was close to Tetonic Trinity pricing. Most of them went into hunter's hands, ], the rest got deep cut saled. Mine cost $400 U.S.D.; and came with a axtually usable case, neck strap and harness, and some kind of Boone & Crocket trophy ungulate corpse measurement kit. Gave that to a colleague who hunts, and he seemed to think it was a neat thing.
So my prediction for the 2013 model:
Brown ;) and made totally in Japan, or assembled in the U.S. with Chinese optics.
I do not think they will try to break through the Perceived Alpha gate again.

My only problem (other than not picking up a 10x42 pair of the same the next day) is, do I have a true collectable? The last U.S. manufactured binocular? If so, do i box them, despite their excellence? :-C
They are my winter "SE". The recently aquired Vortex Viper HD 8x32 may make an ok SE wet/cold sub though....

If the Loopys have suitably positioned thumb indents, [/QUOTE
Yes, they do have indents.

When mine came out, (2-3 years ago?) the MSRP on them was a little over $1400 U.S.D. At that time, that was close to Tetonic Trinity pricing. Most of them went into hunter's hands, ], the rest got deep cut saled. Mine cost $400 U.S.D.; and came with a axtually usable case, neck strap and harness, and some kind of Boone & Crocket trophy ungulate corpse measurement kit. Gave that to a colleague who hunts, and he seemed to think it was a neat thing.
So my prediction for the 2013 model:
Brown ;) and made totally in Japan, or assembled in the U.S. with Chinese optics.
I do not think they will try to break through the Perceived Alpha gate again.

My only problem (other than not picking up a 10x42 pair of the same the next day) is, do I have a true collectable? The last U.S. manufactured binocular? If so, do i box them, despite their excellence? :-C
They are my winter "SE". The recently aquired Vortex Viper HD 8x32 may make an ok SE wet/cold sub though....

J.

With the mild winter we had this past year, I didn't need a "winter SE" for a change.

I read that the Kruger Kalahari was manufactured in the US. Not sure if that's true or just a rumor. Better check before you pack your GR HD's away.

Perhaps once the new Gold Rings come out next year, GR HD owners will be selling their old ones on the bay, and I can finally see what all the buzz is about. Still not sure about the "shallow depth" in the 8x32 model, though. I might opt for the 8x42 and eats me spinach.

B.

I have the brown GR HDs in 10x42.

They are ugly and heavy but I bought mine after reading a review online (if I could recall where I read it I would cite it for credit but I don't).

This review said if something to the effect of "if you look AT them, you will not like them...but if you look THROUGH them, you will want to buy them!"

I'd say this is true for the most part...

The views are stellar and approaching alpha (who said "Teutonic Trinity"-I liked that BTW ) but not quite there. There is JUST A HINT of "blueness" as the view leans toward the "cool" side of things. ( I also thought this about Zeiss Conquest 8x30s). I have to "look for it" though-it is not a bit disconcerting.

I bought mine about 3 years ago for about $700(?) and got a $100 back in a mail-in rebate. I rate these as a VERY SOLID deal.

The only reason I will ever entertain selling them is to help pay for my next alphas...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back