• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping, advice please (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
I would like to start digiscoping so I would be grateful for any advice before I start buying new equipment. After reading Andy Brights posts in the past the camera I like is the Nikon Coolpix 4500, I currently have a Coolpix 775 which I find excellent but not for digiscoping. A question I have is the battery and card the same for the two cameras, if they are this will save me money, I have spare batteries and cards.
Second question : I have an Opticron ES80 c/w an HDF 20-60x eyepiece, would I need a new eyepiece and if so which one?
Advance thanks to anyone who has read this post and given advice
:t:

Hi Paul, no problems on the memory cards... compactflash is used throughout the Nikon range (and many other cameras). I'm pretty sure the batteries will be o.k. as well.
Your scope's eyepiece will be fine, though it may struggle at higher magnifications (30x+).
So all in all, everthing seems to be going your way :)
Regards,
Andy

Andy,
On the subject of advice, can you or anyone help? My problem is that when you find the subject in the camera screen ( Coolpix 4500 ) and you tighten the tripod head, the weight of the camera pulls the scope slightly upwards so your subject is lost from view. To compensate I have to aim below the subject, tighten, and hope I have guessed right for it to be in the picture.
Has anyone any tips to avoid this constant fiddling around by which time you have missed the shot.

Chris

The problem you are facing is not a new one and many of us have encountered it during our early years in digiscoping

Solution ? a video head rather than a scope head, the two i would suggest you take a look at and try out if you can are both manfrotto, the 501 video head which i have advocated for the last three years, and the newish 700r scope head which i studied during the bird fair, they are not cheap, weight could be an issue for you, and price and compatibility with your present tripod, also be prepared to look at buying a long version of the plate which attaches to your scope, this allows you to balance your scope and camera setup perfectly, something i have not seen mentioned on this forum but would benefit many others also,

this is the only realistic way to eliminate your problem

hope this helps

Paul

Hi there Chris, I found a solution to this problem as i was passing Manfrotto's stand at the Bird Fair they do a thing called a Universal Sliding Plate it screws on to your Tripod Head and your Scope is mounted on a Lockable Sliding Plate which when Slid Foward and Locked Moves the balance of every thing Forward so when you want to attach you camera move it Forward to balance it out, thus no more having to tighten the the trpod so tight that it gives you a Blue Vein in the Neck. Manfrotto357 Hope this Helps
Regards Digimad

The sliding plate is certainly one solution that I looked at too, as it changes the centre of balance.

The 501 is a lovely looking head but already having the 128RC I was put off by the additional cost of it.

A simpler solution is to attach a counter balance weight around the front end of the scope. I know some people use a strap holding a 4 oz fishing weight. It seems to do the trick, but I think the sliding plate may be a better solution.

Hi P Hackett

I would just like to say that the lecture you gave at the bird fair was quite a breath of fresh air. I was at the last one of Sunday and thought you did a tremendous job of keeping all the audience happy considering the various pressures you were under.

I don't think you were making any headway with Bryan and his slides though LOL!!

Look forward to reading more of your comments. PS I bet it doesn't seem like 12 months since your picture of the Bee Eaters? My wife and I went up there and were lucky as after watching the family party all morning they dissappeared and was not seen again in the area.

Best wishes Sleeper

andy . i am another one looking for your advice. I have an olumpus 2100uz which I am very happy with. Can I attach a Leica APO 77 Televid scope to it sucessfully or should I consider buying a second smaller digital camera ?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back