• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thayer's Gull (1 Viewer)

seb salas

I'm off to see this possible first winter Thayer's Gull in Kings Lynn tomorrow. I've got the Birding World from a couple of years back and Helm Gulls, but to save me a bit of time, does anyone fancy summarising the ID for me?
God I'm lazy.

Kumlien's Gull?
I thought they don't exist anymore. Didn't somebody write something about they may only be hybrids or something?
I'm very precise aren't I!

Hi Seb,

Yep - hybrid/intergrade between Iceland and Thayer's. Which is of course why Thayer's look rather like Kumlien's . . . .

I'd agree with those (inc. the BOURC) who treat Thayer's as a race of Iceland (e.g. BB 94: 191-195, 547-548; 2001).

Michael

Michael,
I have a very strict rule on both taxonomy and escaped birds:
I follow the BOU all the time unless I've actually seen one they don't accept!!!
That's why White Headed Duck, Baikal Teal and Caspian Gull are on my list, but I personally don't consider Thayer's Gull a true species unless I see it tomorrow. In which case it's going on my list as a full tick. If I don't see it I shall rant about how there is no way it could be a full species!!!

Hi Seb,

There's some photos of it just been posted on the net by Graham Etherington - here's the link:

http://groups.msn.com/GrahamEtherington/thayerishgull.msnw

GE is not yet convinced of its identity (calling it a 'Thayerish' Gull!), and I have to confess, looks like a urinal-standard argentatus Herring to me, next to those GBB Gulls (but that probably just proves that I don't know anything about the subject!).

Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
As a less experienced and knowledgable birder than a clearly upset Spud,I should get away with commenting on this gull!
I haven't knowingly seen a Thayer's Gull(but I have seen a good candidate,a 2nd-w locally in early 99),but this doesn't fit my search image of one.It does look a bit like one,but I feel that a few features aren't right.The head and bill look a bit odd(more like Herring or maybe hybrid Glaucous-winged x Herring),there appear to be two generations of mantle feathers in the last pic(should be still in more or less full juv.plumage),and the pale fringes to the primaries aren't very noticable.Also,looks a bit sturdier than most Thayer's.
Probably just an odd Herring,but would need to see the pattern of the spread wing and tail to further comment on the ID.
Harry H

I have Thayer's Gulls right down the beach neear where I live in California. Come on down if you want to see the real thing (which the "Thayerish" bird isn't).

According to Rare Bird Alert it's just a small juvenilem argentatus Herring gull!

Mark

Oh and there's a picture of it on Surfbirds.

proof of the dangers of looking too hard at LWHGs!

We'll do an experiment. There are some decent tides coming up. I bet I can find a couple of debatable birds in them...and post pics. Mind you it means I have to look at them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back