• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Am.Wigeon-N.Pintail? (1 Viewer)

Joern, I try to stay at least an oar's length away from hybrids, but..

I see the American Wigeon at the rear end and flanks, but I don't see the Shoveller at all. (I would have hoped some of the massive bill showed up!) In fact, all of it looks like AMWI, except for the head.

Sorry Charles,

I meant Northern Pintail x American Wigeon, not Northern Shoveler- stupid me, but thats with the english names,not my mother language----

Jörn

Two brothers called Gilham have written several books on hybrid ducks. If it isn't in their books to date they would be very interested to hear from you.

Stephen.

Wigeon

> which is clearly not a Chiloe Wigeon.

What do you think?

Jörn

Jorn, why do you not think that it is a Chiloe, and what sex do you think that it is?

Malky @ Westhill

Hi Stephen, Hi Malky

Do you have an email address from the brothers Gilham?just recently I got their Hybrid Ducks 1 and 5, but the numbers 2, 3,4 I could only get for a horrendous price.

The brothers Gilham description and photos of several hybrids hets me think that the hybrid I found in the net, might rather be Northern Pintail X Chiloe wigeon (but I admit, it is guesswork)

Malky, For a pure Chiloe wigeon go to the link in my first post. In that link, go to the previous photo, that is of a Chiloe wigeon

Jorn,

I don't think they even use computers as their correspondence is hand typed.

If their address isn't in their book I can PM you with it.

Stephen.

Malky, For a pure Chiloe wigeon go to the link in my first post. In that link, go to the previous photo, that is of a Chiloe wigeon[/QUOTE]

Joern, I missunderstood what was actually going on. That's why I was asking why you did not think that the photo was a Chiloe. (The juv)

I will have a look at the other photos.

Regards.

I'm getting old and confused, but just at certain times!!

Malky @ Westhill

Gilham's email address

Greetings

If you have the Gilham's email address, I have an interesting probably shoveler x teal hybrid I'd like to send their way. Also, I have a photo of a captive Am Wigeon x Gadwall they might be interested in. Please email me privately at [email protected]

Thank You
Steven Mlodinow

Joern Lehmhus said:
For the bird in question, I still have no solution, but I am tending towards Northern Pintail x Chiloe Wigeon ...

That was my thought too, not least because the owner presumed it to be a Chiloe, so one assumes hatched it from an egg laid by a Chiloe; then the N Pintail parentage follows from the very long spine tail and the flank pattern

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back