• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loggerhead Shrike? (1 Viewer)

Joe A.

Not a good photo, but the best I could do under the circumstances -- he flew away shortly after I took this shot. After checking 3 field guides the only bird I saw that resembled the one in the photo was the Loggerhead Shrike. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 042004unk.jpg
    042004unk.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 220
I'm pretty sure you're right Joe. The only other thing it could be is a Northern Shrike, but I think that would be much more unusual in Texas.

Certainly looks like my loggerheads Joe. Actually, the Northern would be out of your range but I don't believe it's unheard of in Texas. Is this a life bird for you? If so Congrats!

KCFoggin said:
Certainly looks like my loggerheads Joe. Actually, the Northern would be out of your range but I don't believe it's unheard of in Texas. Is this a life bird for you? If so Congrats!

Yes, it's the same place I photographed the Eastern Kingbird and thought it might be the same bird until I looked closer. I'll go back tomorrow for another try at a good shot. It's one of those birds that has a sixth sense about being photographed --- they wait until you open the tripod and swivel the camera around before flying off to a spot just out of range. I'm sure you know what I mean .....:)

Joe, I saw my first loggerhead shrike only a few months ago. The unique mask caught me by surprise when I checked him out with my binoculars. Congrats on your photo... Looks great.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back