• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorbird I.D. (1 Viewer)

Hi Warbler! Wow, you sure picked a good one for I.D. :eek!: 'm just gonna say sandpiper. As to which one, God only knows. No beak or face to look at. No legs to compare with. Did you possibly get any other shots :h?: What about size wise?

I agree with KC that this one is rather difficult to ID. I would hazard a guess that this might be a Long-billed Dowitcher. The feeding position suggests to me that it is probing in typical dowitcher fashion and the spotting on the undertail coverts area seem to be consistant with dowitchers also. This could be a bird with some juvenile and some adult plumage features. That's my 2 cents worth.

Warbler said:
Anyone know what this one is?
I hope I post this correctly; it has been awhile since I have posted.

I am going way out here to say it is a Short-billed Dowitcher (Adult Atlantic in the middle between winter and Breeding plumage).

Most likely a Dowitcher due to its feeding posture and I am going with Short-billed due to the fairly even barring/spotting from neck to rump (Long-billed are generally duller) and as far as picking the Atlantic population I have come to this due to the paler color.

Whew that was almost too much thinking. Nice picture even without the head.

Hi Warbler

I too would also guess at Short-billed Dowitcher, it looks to have the striped tertials of this species.

Tom

Good job, everyone! Short-billed Dowitcher it is. I knew it could be identified by the tertial pattern ;) that's why I posted a picture where the head wasn't visible.

Beware of tertial's pattern on adult birds. This can only be used reliably on juvenile birds to separate Short-billed from Long-billed Dowitchers.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back