• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Wader fun! (1 Viewer)

M Cowming

Ireland
Hi guys! I noticed how much fun you were all having with the American Sandpiper ID, and have to say that they have me stumped too! So, I thought I'd add this one for you all to have a look at! It involves a bird that I and another birder found last year in Ireland and originally id'd it as X. Upon further investigation by another birder with a video camera, this is what he got and reidentified it as Y. Although probably Y, no-one was really certain! Have a go, I'd appreciate your views!

P.S. Harry, I know you know this story so let the others have a go! ;)

ATB

Last edited:
Hi M,

Not wishing to spoil things but I think this bird's been up on here before (Mr Hussey's doing if memory serves). It was a few months ago, so I'll let a few new folks give their views! It's an interesting one all right.

Thanks Fifebirder! I wasn't aware it had been up for debate already but knowing Harry's thirst for knowledge, I should have known ;). Maybe you could direct me to the relevant thread as I am curious as to what you all think/thought. One thing for certain, it was not calidris alba(sanderling). Sorry karwin, the bird was much too small.

Sorry again karwin! Didn't mean to sound condescending. I should have mentioned in my original post that the bird associated with Dunlin on most occasions seen and was noticeably smaller.

Just tried searching for the previous thread and met with no success. It's definitely been on here before though. I remember there being quite a lot of debate about it! Maybe Harry will be able to find it.

This is the bird that I wanted to see the feet of... Its prob Little Stint, but I'd be trying hard to make it a Semi P! I'm not sure Harry every told the story behind it though!

It happened to be reidentified as probable little stint after the video footage was analysed. Unfortunately for myself and the other finder, we never got really close up views of the bird and probably jumped to conclusions too soon! However, watching the bird and comparing it to little stints I've seen in the past, it's behaviour was different so far as i always expect little stints to be frantic feeders. This bird was quite the opposite but in retrospect, I agree this bird is most likely a little stint. Just to be clear, we thought it to be a semi-p in the beginning.
Thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back