• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper pricing and warranty question (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi,
i recently bought a new pair of binoculars and ultimately had to decide between the Minox Bl 8x32 BR and Vortex Viper 8x42. I went for the Viper because it seemed to have a bit better optics and still didn't have so much extra weight. I like bins that don't give me neck strains but the viper is kinda smallish for 8x42. Additionally one retailer that i talked to that sells both brands called the Minox "hyped" and that "someone worked hard to get good reviews". Remember, not me saying this so dont flame too much! I think the Minox looks great and that´s why it was one of two choices. Also-also i had problems finding the Minox in stock (sells good).

Anyway the pricing on the viper is a bit funny in Sweden and makes buying optics from UK or USA very appealing at times.

(I re-calculated all the numbers to UK £ for easy reading even if we use Swedish kronors here in Sweden as currency.)

The Minox BL 8x32 BL costs £205 at sherwood optics and £300 here in Sweden. The difference is reasonable considering the extra shipping I have to pay from UK.

The Vortex Viper 8x42 costs £259 at Sherwood but £509 here in Sweden! That´s quite substantial and I am unsure why it is like this. This leads me into my question. Is the firm that sells vipers here in Sweden perhaps not "official" dealers for Vortex. That would explain the price gap if they import from stores in UK or USA. And does make my warranty not usable here in Sweden so if something happens to the binocular i have to send it to the UK or USA? I have emailed Vortex about this but no reply yet.

Swedish retailer

Regards Kristoffer

Last edited:
Kris, would you avoid duty tax if you bought from the UK?

Good question since i dont fully understand VAT inside EU.
I wont get any tax like I get when I order from USA where the custom add 30%ish on the price + other fees.

However at my first order from Cleyspy they didnt add any VAT to the order (perhaps because i bought a secondhand item?) but when i asked for price on the minox they added a £35 VAT to the total cost. Sherwood did not do this. Im unsure why this was the case. I assumed both or none should have to add VAT.

Good question since i dont fully understand VAT inside EU.
I wont get any tax like I get when I order from USA where the custom add 30%ish on the price + other fees.

However at my first order from Cleyspy they didnt add any VAT to the order (perhaps because i bought a secondhand item?) but when i asked for price on the minox they added a £35 VAT to the total cost. Sherwood did not do this. Im unsure why this was the case. I assumed both or none should have to add VAT.

As an end user without a valid Swedish VAT number the company should charge you VAT at their local rate (17.5% in UK). If you do have a valid Swedish VAT number they can invoice without VAT.
Allan

As an end user without a valid Swedish VAT number the company should charge you VAT at their local rate (17.5% in UK). If you do have a valid Swedish VAT number they can invoice without VAT.
Allan

Yeah I understand that but I don't think they did.

Anyone know about the warranty?

The warranty doesn't seem to have any country exclusions in it (unlike say the more officious Nikon and similar warranties).

http://www.vortexoptics.com/pages/warranty

though I suspect that if you buy from outside the country you have to return it to the USA for repairs (they wouldn't let you use the local authorized rep).

Probably the best thing is to ask Vortex ...

Vortex warranty and customer service is as good as it gets. However, my experience applies only within the US. I don't know if they have any overseas service centers. If not, then you are into the problems of shipping back and forth across international borders. The warranty goes with the product not the original purchaser. No sales slip, minimum service charge, or warranty registration card to fill out. When an order is placed with the factory in the US, the sale gets credited to the dealer nearest to you who has the ordered product in stock. Don't know if that works the same way overseas. The overseas shipping may be able to be handled between Vortex and your nearest dealer. However, I will admit my ignorance to how that would work within your legal framework.

Vortex warranty and customer service is as good as it gets. However, my experience applies only within the US. I don't know if they have any overseas service centers. If not, then you are into the problems of shipping back and forth across international borders. The warranty goes with the product not the original purchaser. No sales slip, minimum service charge, or warranty registration card to fill out. When an order is placed with the factory in the US, the sale gets credited to the dealer nearest to you who has the ordered product in stock. Don't know if that works the same way overseas. The overseas shipping may be able to be handled between Vortex and your nearest dealer. However, I will admit my ignorance to how that would work within your legal framework.

Thx for the reply guys.
yeah the warranty seems very good - if i manage to get the product to the factory. Hopefully I wont need to use it for many years, the viper is really good. I'm extremely pleased with it to say the least. Naturally i have emailed and asked vortex but no answer yet, was 10 days ago.

Hmmm, given other comments about Vortex's service (which I haven't tried) it's suprising they haven't emailed you back.

The only issue with warranty service in another country is making sure the company are savvy enough to work with the customs rules so you don't get hit with import due on the repair or replacement bin. So long as they fill out the customs declaration properly this won't be an issue but it's a pain when they get it wrong (there is another thread on birdforum about this sort of problem).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back