• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

APPS for bird watchers (1 Viewer)

Jaime74

Hello everybody

I wanted to know if you could tell me which are the most recommended bird watching apps. Specially for southern Europe, I live in Spain.

Thanks

If you have an iPhone, then get the Collins guide app - it'll be the best by far. If you don't have an iPhone, and you want a decent app, errr...get an iPhone!

you could do worse than getting the Ebird app (free for both iphones and android). It is intended for you to record your sightings and upload them for the use for citizen science. Looking at the combined dataset afterwards may help you find birds yourself.

Niels

Hi there,

there are a couple of apps you can use... specially since Spanish birding association promotes a useless database... :C:C:C

-Ebird: it allows you to track your sights AND you can check the sightings on their website.
-Aves de españa: promoted by the spanish association. It's nothing close to the collins app but it's interesting, specially when teaching other people.
-Ornidroid: it's not a good app but for the sounds. It features a few sounds from every bird and some have actually been recorded in Spain.
-Birdid: a quizz for improving your identification skills...

If you are from Catalonia, head to ornitho.cat (I'm sorry but it's way better than the Spanish database)

Cualquier duda me avisas ;)

If you are from Catalonia, head to ornitho.cat (I'm sorry but it's way better than the Spanish database)

Cualquier duda me avisas ;)

There is also the naturalist app, which lets you enter data to the ornitho database, and also you can check recent records with it.

There is also the naturalist app, which lets you enter data to the ornitho database, and also you can check recent records with it.

Indeed. But it only makes sense if you're in Catalonia. They don't use this database in Spain (but they do in Catalonia...). I'm not trying to start any national-indenpendency issue here... just pointing out that they are using a different database.

In fact, I'm in touch with birders outside Catalonia and they tend to use the eBird app.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back