• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st budget scope (1 Viewer)

Hi there smallb...

I suppose it's like anything else - you don't know it's actually going to work at all if you don't try it. At least with buying from a shop you can take it back .... but on The Net ???

Having said that, there are several perfectly good online optic retailers.

As for Fixed v Zoom, I've read somewhere before that a Fixed mag. works better for any given magnification, but obviously isn't as versatile - something to do with the way the lens is made ( ??? ). I'm sure someone can give a full technical reason for it.

But exactly how much difference in performance there is I don't know ..... maybe another reason to test it out before you buy it !

Ok had a small rethink (its always like this start with the cheapest and work your way up!)....

Living in Essex (nr Chelmsford), does anyone know any good places to go to check-out some scopes? preferably with some birdies too cos with credit card in hand I'm likely to buy!

You see what I was frightened of was by comparing scopes I'd end up paying lots more than I intended :eek!: (but as I said, thats what always happens when I go shopping for "toys"!!!;))

Sorry but others will have to help with the local knowledge.

But if you're on a budget, get a list of makes you won't be able to afford. Don't even look through them.

Hello Billy,

A couple of years ago I got an Optolyth TBS80 HD with a 20x60 zoom secondhand through LCE. I paid about £350 for the lot and it has been absolutely excellent. Everything I had hoped, and more. I would highly recommend looking at the secondhand market. It is not like optics (good ones anyway) go off. If you were worried about warranties most retailers offer a guarentee.

Good hunting.

I agree that second hand can be good, but it does seem that retailers sell second hand goods at absurd prices eg. 10% less than new price. Buying from a dealer does not even guarantee that the binoculars/scope will be properly collimated. Excellent used gear from private sellers can be found with a bit of searching at much much less than shop price. Of course you need to know the basics of how to check out equipment to spot for defects. I guess it is that uncertainty that dealers trade on: a good one (such as SW Optics) WILL thoroughly check out gear before buying it to sell on.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back