• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Scope headaches? (1 Viewer)

I watched a Biathlon on the tv over the weekend I noticed lots of them had what looked like a bit of card on the sights sticking out at right angles to stop distraction through the non-aiming eye ...may be worth a try and if it dont work then its cost nowt anyway :mad:)

For long seawatches I have been known tape a piece of featureless grey card inside of a cereal packet to the scope so my left eye can sort of just drift. It means you dn't have nything in the way of your eye is you suddenly need bins.

Of course thes days I just poke the scope through the curtains and look at those with my left yet!

I used to suffer burn out... loss/reduction of colour vision in my right eye after prolonged use of a bright scope!

Doug said:
I find the same thing, AndyC. And the shelf is never big enough for my bins, notebook, fieldguide, camera, scope adaptor, hat, gloves, sandwich box, flask...

What? No laptop with Birds of Britain CD-ROM running?

AndyC said:
I often find that when using a hide clamp on the shelf below the viewing windows, that the seats are fixed too close to the window and that I have to lean right back to use the scope.
Andy
I find that many of the seats are too low for use with an angled scope. I supposed they were designed that way for straight scope users or am I too small at 5/8?. I often use the hides at Martin Mere so I know where I can sit and not, but new places can be a pain particularly if busy like at weekends when I have the most time to go.

I also agree that many shelves are to narrow as well, although I try to keep everything in my bag until I need it.

My biggest bug bear though is with windows. The number of times I've set the scope up then gone to open the window and the scope is in the way! Thinking about it thats the narrow shelf thing as well.

I suppose I shouldn't moan as its often nice to be somewhere were you have a window!

Bill

by Doug - Using the scope doesn't give me headaches but I do have an alergy to the material used to coat the eyepeice on my Leica Bins which causes my eyelids to swell up

Doug, are you allergic to latex? Latex allergies are known to cause the symptoms you state. Not sure if there is any latex in the eyepieces, but there may be a form of it in there.

Last edited:
scampo said:
You might well find it's the vertebrae in your neck - that's my problem anyway and it's not uncommon, especially if you are tall or have ever had a whiplash injury. Thank goodness they make angled scopes!

Being on the shorter side Steve, my neck muscles tend to suffer when I have to extend the tripod for the birds perched in the top of trees. I do believe the next scope I get, it will have the angled eyepiece cause I refuse to carry a stool around with me.;)

It seems from what others write that straight scopes are the most popular in your country, whereas the opposite is the case here.

Yet... I was recently in Norfolk (a top Eastern birding county in the UK) and was amazed at the number of straight scopes around - although they were older scopes. I think most new scopes sold here are angled. They're certainly easier on the neck and easier for a second person to have a view through the scope.

Hi Steve,

I've got a straight-through - mixed feelings about which is better though. An angled would give less neck strain, but it is also more difficult to pin on a bird, and in wet weather, the eyepiece fills up with water, which doesn't happen with a straight through

Michael

You're right about the rain - but the neck strain is too much for me sadly. I'd end up with a cricked neck and no chance of birding for a few days. Being tall has many advantages but neck problems come with the model sadly (at least for me).

HEADACHE,
I am looking to buy my first scope fairly soon and trying to decide what to buy is giving me a headache lol
Dave

Michael Frankis said:
I've got a straight-through - mixed feelings about which is better though. An angled would give less neck strain, but it is also more difficult to pin on a bird, and in wet weather, the eyepiece fills up with water, which doesn't happen with a straight through
Absolutely. That's the reason I have a straight-through one. Even though I suffer for it, I wouldn't change to an angled.

Jason

scampo said:
It seems from what others write that straight scopes are the most popular in your country, whereas the opposite is the case here.

My main concern was being able to spot the bird with the scope quickly and I just assumed it would be easier with a straight through eyepiece. Still not always easy though when the bird is a distance away and I take my eyes off the spot for a moment.

I was thinking the same KC, but ordered the angled as that one was in stock and I was going on a trip.

Anyway, what a blessing in disguise! I'm always sharing it with my wife (shorter) and usually friends and the angled makes this easy.

I was also pleasantly surprised how quick I can line up the bird. The angled doesn't slow this down a bit.

And yes, my neck is also thankful for the angled.

and if you have ever birded the Choughs at Bird Rock in North Wales you will know how much easier that is with an angled scope - the rock climbs almost vertically from the road, witha straight scope you would have to lie on the floor to scope the birds!!

That's a fact. And what a wonderful walk it is up there, too. I'd never seen a sheep jump over a wall until I saw it at Bird Rock. There must be an extra something in the Welsh grass.

To see a flock of choughs there is a sight to remember but they do wander around a fair bit. Add chats, wheatear, raven and various raptors though and for a day out with grey wagtail and dipper so close by it can hardly be beaten.

Last edited:
Bird Rock is great for Peregrine. Also had our best views of Red Kite there - one made 2 passes right above us just 20/30 feet up - superb!

Just to get this thread back on track ;)
Thanks to everyone who's made suggestions for alternatives to the eye-patch idea (it would look a bit silly!) & especially thanks to those few who have reassured me that I'm not the only weirdo that gets headaches from 'scoping (worried I might have a brain tumour for a while there ;) )

Reading some of the suggestions got me thinking & last night I experimented with a few different ideas. I can't beleive I didn't think of this one sooner (o)< I have a "stay-on" case on my 'scope (Opticron HR66) and my solution is simple! Normally when the 'scope is in use, I would attach the eyepiece cover (the big sock like bit) to the popper on the side of the case, but last night I wondered whether I could attach it to the popper on the top (where it would be in the "stowed" position) and have it sticking out at 90º to the 'scope. Waddya know! it works! Cuts out just enough of the vision from my right eye to allow me to comfortably use the 'scope! (not tried it in daylight yet, but I'm sure it'll be OK! - It's a start anyway)

Cheers

Simon

I think with practice it's possible to look through a scope with both eyes open; indeed, I've seen that as the recommended way. Plenty of birders seem to do this. Myself I find it's easy with my right eye only. My youngest son, Matt, always looks through his scope this way.

I've had a straight and now have an angled 'scope. Being tall I find the angled is more comfortable to use as I'm slightly bending and not almost crouching as I was with the straight model. Also tripod is not as high and therefore steadier. I find that I am still able to line up the birds fairly quickly even with the angled model. :bounce:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back