• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some of my Drawing (1 Viewer)

2 more , i am not sure if i prefer drawing with or without pastel colours , i seem to be over sizing the beaks when i colour them ??

And yes Phil apart from eating and watching England i seem to be drawing all the time and it feels great

thanks again for your kind comments and inspiration :t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
2 more , i am not sure if i prefer drawing with or without pastel colours , i seem to be over sizing the beaks when i colour them ??

And yes Phil apart from eating and watching England i seem to be drawing all the time and it feels great

thanks again for your kind comments and inspiration :t:

Less football. Leave that to the Doctor. Who?

More sketching!

Sketching from life!

So many Soccer fans who can't play? But love to talk about how it should be played? ;)

I,d love you to start a "field sketch book". No matter how absurd the results...

I'd love to see the results! I think maybe we all would? Take your time....

And good luck with it! :t:

Less football. Leave that to the Doctor. Who?

More sketching!

Sketching from life!

I,d love you to start a "field sketch book". No matter how absurd the results...

I'd love to see the results! I think maybe we all would? Take your time....

And good luck with it! :t:

what he says!

Dear Dark Knight.....i read your opening lines and they reminded me of my apprehensions and concerns over starting a thread 'here' amongst so much talent...and i am pleased that you have 'dived in' and made a splash..! :t:

The advice you will get will be all good i'm sure....['it' already has been hasn't it]..?!
Carandache and oil pastel were always my favored medium when younger...so i find it refreshing, in some way, to see another budding 'artist' starting off in perhaps a 'similar' fashion....!

ps...and as has been referenced to on a couple of occasions...that you seem to have the drawing 'bug'....i attach an image..:eek!: Now i do assure you, and others, that this is indeed a photograph of an insect...[i think i took the shot in costa rica or some such tropical place]...and this 'bug' with glowing spots on it's back was quite amazing.....[i hope you like and do not object to me posting it on your thread]...my apologies if you do..!

pps...i particularly liked the BBsand and dotterel drawings.....[all the best]...:t:

ppps...[phil]...re football...and the 'doctor'. Matt Smith, i recently discovered, played for Leicester City.......'who'..?!...[chuckle]! B :)

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
what he says!

Especially the part about sketching from life. You have some very nice sketches here, both the more developed ones like the bittern and tern, and the sketchier ones like the kingfisher. I think more sketching from life will really pay off for you.

Hi everyone , once again a big thankyou for your comments and advise , and " username " love the photo of the bug , you are welcome on here anytime :t: i need all the help i can get :eek!:

I have been out birding today and have tried some life drawing of a Sedge warbler , its strange but i felt kind of nervous drawing it not sure why ?? guess its the fear of ridicule , but pleased i did , it wass difficult to draw as it kepted moving about , i guess thats what you mean by " real life " lol

Last edited:
Brilliant start on the "live" stuff Rob.

It is not easy! But you've begun in the right way! Those annotations are great. It all aids building a bigger picture of what you've seen. With little jobs that won't keep still I often end up with a jigsaw puzzle of a page. Bits and pieces of warbler everywhere!
This I try to piece together into some more refined sketches soon after while the bird is still fresh in the mind. It takes practise though. So don,t be daunted by first attempts. The more you do it the better you will get and the easier it will become.
Oh! And I don't think anyone here is going to ridicule you! So banish that from any further posts!
You've made a brave effort in recording what you've seen, and that is LAUDABLE!

As the Chinese proverb has it,
"The longest journey begins with one small step."

Looks like your journey has begun! Well done!

don't worry about how the field sketches look Rob. when you have to draw something so rapidly the results aren't always gonna be great, as you'll see from the few field sketches I was brave enough to put on my thread! However, you now have agreat general outline, which you can work on at home, and add in all the little details how and when you remember them. Taking photographs is good too, but the won thing I will definitly say is DON'T EVER COPY DIRECTLY OFF A PHOTO. If you do this you lose the personal touch in your drawing. The best way to use photos for sketching, in my experience, is to look at them, and soak up as much detail as you can, then tuen your back on the photo and get drawing. If you need them to remember few little details afterwards then that is fine, but never copy, you are doing art, not imitations! However I'm sure you now all this already mate, and never forget, great things can come from even the roughest sketch!:t:

great! you've taken the first and hardest step - these are nice, you've got a variety of angles and annotations to - as Phil says 'piece the puzzle together', certainly hope the sketching bug has bitten you now and that you'll keep on with it! Looking forward to seeing more.

good comments from all, I'll just add that sketching is a practice thing, and for some of us( me for sure) it is always rough when first starting that day, then you get warmed up and things get better. Usually( but not always) the first few are just rubbish, then you get coordinated and things go better.

I also found when I first started out I drew very small, and had to force myself to get bigger, and get rid of the idea that small would let me get the bird faster, Phil's comment of bits, is how I ramped up, then each time you sketch that bird the knowledge accumulates until you have some of it stored in memory to draw from, muscle memory, not brain.

Now your feet are set on the path to great work

I've missed out here, welcome to the best bit DK!

Your sketching will come on in leaps and bounds as you do more. And as it comes on you'll want to do more and that leads to further improvement and so on and so on!

So welcome to the sketchers' addiction club!

Mike

Hi, glad you've joined the 'SAC' (?? mutters 'wtf' as he types;))

I'd say the bills could do with a little bit of tweaking rob, a tad shorter and more curved perhaps. But don't worry about it. To sketch a bird well at all you have to really look at it, which you clearly are here. However, it takes a while to do common bird sketches well, as you aren't used to really soaking in all the detail! e.g. I saw an American Robin in 2004, and I could easily produce a better drawing of that from memory than I can of a Blue Tit! we are all at different stages of improving our aet, you are pretty near the beginning just now, but this is the most fun part, and if you have the enthusiasm you will get really good as quickly as you want to. I am often staggered by what I was drawing right at the beginning of my thread and how different it is to what I'm drawing now, one month down the line! So keep it up, we are all behind you and we all can't wait to see how you develop!!

Rob,

Great that you're diving in, and continuing your journey!
I recently "house sat" for my partner (Madame Untitled ;)), and I thought i'd sketch her garden visitors. While I was killing time between feeding the flowers and watering the cats :cat: , I sketched "common birds".B :)
I was surprised at how little I knew about them. As they are so common, I'd disregarded them in my sketching history.
Was the white band above or below the black neck bend on a Collared Dove?
I didn't do many sketches, but discovered a few things about CDs and Magpies I didn't know, or had taken for granted.
It taught me a lesson. Never take anything for granted with sketching birds...
Many artists avoid the common birds. But they are a good place to start. And are available most times! ;)
Concentrating on them at the outset will bring many surprises, and teach you much. Not just about sketching, but about "birdcraft." :t:
Once you know your abundants really well, it's then that you'll easier find anything unusual or rare.
Next time you go to a twitch, make a point of asking the assembled,

"Is the white band on a Collared Dove's neck above or below the black band?"

Sketch on my friend, and show us your discoveries. Because we all may learn from them!

PS I attach my sketches. And I wasn't pleased with them! :-C

Attachments

• Image0241.jpg
    Image0241.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back