• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upside-down images (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Every now and then a picture gets uploaded to the Gallery and it's displaying either side-ways or upside-down. The Gallery software won't right it (Mods have the ability to do this on some-one else's image).

I have to download the image to my computer. It shows properly there, but re-uploading to the Gallery it will still be wrongly oriented!

So I open it in my photo-editor (again correctly oriented). So I simply Save As with a slightly changed file name and re-upload the image to the Gallery. All is well.

So my problem is not "how to correct it"... but why does this happen, and what can the OP do to ensure it is correct in the first place?

With the number of Gallery uploads, it's not possible for me to check all uploads so if I could explain to the members what is happening, it may help them out.

They all (so far) seem to have been taken on a mobile phone I think.

When people take images on a mobile phone they often hold the phone however is most convenient to them, and so not necessarily the `standard' way. The software will then include a tag in the photo that explains to (some) software what the correct rotation should be, but these tags are not understood by all software. For example, photos taken with an Ipad/Iphone held upside down will display upside down on Windows machines, but there arplenty of other such combinations. It seems your gallery software is not aware of such tags. You can read some more information about this, for example, at https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

The user needs to do exactly what you are doing: Upload the photo into any photo processing software, rotating it as needed, and exporting (or maybe resaving) it. I agree that this should be the user's job - effectively they are supplying a photo that does not comply with the gallery standards.

Andrea

Ah!! Thanks so much Andrea, you've explained that so well for me. I don't have a camera phone.

Do mobiles have the ability to use a photo-editor?

There are photo software in mobiles and the ability to download other software. The built in software probably does what Andrea describes (and my camera does something similar when I take a photo in portrait orientation!). If any of the other phone software remap the image instead of relying on the tag, I do not know.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back