• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF SP 8x43 vs. Swift 8.5 x 44? (1 Viewer)

19cal91

Any thoughts on whether the Pentax DCF SP 8 x 43 is optically superior to the Swift HSS 8.5 x 44? Other pros or cons between the two would also be appreciated.

I have not seen the pentax and I have the Swift hhs. I would hope the pentax is better since they cost $200 more than the swift. Have you tried either? I am happy with the swift but I compared them to Nikon monarchs and audubon equinox in the same price range as the swift. Good luck.

The coatings that Pentax uses are superior to those in the roof Swift. Since you asked, I would recommend the 8x32 version of the Pentax. You get a much wider field by only giving up a little light that you will not for all practical purposes miss in the field.

I had a pair of Pentax 8x43 DCF SP's and eventually sold them. I found that the focussing on the right and left barrels seemed to operate slightly differently despite careful setting of the dioptre adjustment. It was as though the diopter adjustment needed to be different at different distances. It wasn't a major fault but enough for me to continually notice it. I found it quite distracting and got rid of them in the end. Apart from this problem I thought they were very nice optically and mechanically.

solentbirder said:
I had a pair of Pentax 8x43 DCF SP's and eventually sold them. I found that the focussing on the right and left barrels seemed to operate slightly differently despite careful setting of the dioptre adjustment. It was as though the diopter adjustment needed to be different at different distances. It wasn't a major fault but enough for me to continually notice it. I found it quite distracting and got rid of them in the end. Apart from this problem I thought they were very nice optically and mechanically.

Solentbirder,

I was reading threads on the Audubon HHS and came across your old post about focus accommodation problems with the Pentax 8x43 SP. What you describe is the same problem Chhayanat and I experienced with the Nikon 10x42 LX.

Focus accommodation problems can arrise from the combination short FL (roofs generally have shorter FL than porros since the light path is straight through) and fast focusers among users who have presbyopia (age-related far sightedness, the eye lenses become less flexible).

Kimmo mentioned this on the Cloudy Days forum (the "day side" of Cloudy Nights). I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are middle aged, the problem may be as much with your eyes as with the binoculars.

Accordingly, the Audubon HHS, with its slower focuser might be a better choice for you.

I am wondering if you have tried the HHS or any other roof since selling the Pentax SP and if you experienced similar problems with other roofs?

Thanks, Brock

brocknroller said:
Solentbirder,

I was reading threads on the Audubon HHS and came across your old post about focus accommodation problems with the Pentax 8x43 SP. What you describe is the same problem Chhayanat and I experienced with the Nikon 10x42 LX.

Focus accommodation problems can arrise from the combination short FL (roofs generally have shorter FL than porros since the light path is straight through) and fast focusers among users who have presbyopia (age-related far sightedness, the eye lenses become less flexible).

Kimmo mentioned this on the Cloudy Days forum (the "day side" of Cloudy Nights). I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are middle aged, the problem may be as much with your eyes as with the binoculars.

Accordingly, the Audubon HHS, with its slower focuser might be a better choice for you.

I am wondering if you have tried the HHS or any other roof since selling the Pentax SP and if you experienced similar problems with other roofs?

Thanks, Brock

Hi Brock
I've only experienced it with that Pentax 8x43 so I think it must have been an issue with that unit. I've now got a Pentax 10x43 DCF SP and I don't have any problems with it (or with any others come to that). Hope that helps.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back