• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 X 32 Victory FL's? (1 Viewer)

Tonight, when the winds had calmed down and the downpour had ceased, I decided to take a second tour. Time was about 8:40 pm and the sun was quite low.
Thought I could test the low light performance of the 10x32 FL.
Surprisingly, there was no discernible light loss through the bins until about 10:40 pm (the sun sets around 10 pm but the light remains for more than one hour).

I had the luck to see a Eurasian Hobby hunting insects for a long time. It was pretty close to me and returned to a wire where it sat and looked around.
Following it was quite easy and the colors were bright and vivid although the sun had already set.

After it had flown away, I took a glance at the big reed area in the reserve. My location was east of it so I looked towards a bright evening sky.
No sign of light loss when I looked down the reed.

On my way home, I decided to pass through a beech forest, whose foliage effectively stopped the skylight from reaching the ground.
It was a lot darker, not as in a coal sack, but here the 10x32 finally showed its limitations.
Remember it was half an hour after sunset and very little skylight to illuminate the ground.

Then I took my bike home and changed to the Fury 6,5x32. When looking through it in the forest, it gave the impression of being brighter than reality.
It was now so dark that it was very hard to focus, but I could identify stones, sticks, leaves and debris a lot easier than with the naked eye.

Think I've found my ideal combination. I will not hasten to find a 7x42 or similar, because the 4,9 mm exit pupil of the Fury proved to be sufficient in extremely dim light situations. Probably an NVD would be the next step, rather than a heavy, great exit pupil bin.

But what really struck me is how extraordinary performance the 10x32 FL exhibits.
To me, it is absolutely obvious that I need no other 10x bin, unless for astronomy.
The sweet spot is absolutely sufficient for birding and I couldn't notice any edge sharpness deterioration while birding.
That said, it is there, but not to an objectionable degree.

//L

Last edited:
Tonight, when the winds had calmed down and the downpour had ceased, I decided to take a second tour. Time was about 8:40 pm and the sun was quite low.
Thought I could test the low light performance of the 10x32 FL.
Surprisingly, there was no discernible light loss through the bins until about 10:40 pm (the sun sets around 10 pm but the light remains for more than one hour).

I had the luck to see a Eurasian Hobby hunting insects for a long time. It was pretty close to me and returned to a wire where it sat and looked around.
Following it was quite easy and the colors were bright and vivid although the sun had already set.

After it had flown away, I took a glance at the big reed area in the reserve. My location was east of it so I looked towards a bright evening sky.
No sign of light loss when I looked down the reed.

On my way home, I decided to pass through a beech forest, whose foliage effectively stopped the skylight from reaching the ground.
It was a lot darker, not as in a coal sack, but here the 10x32 finally showed its limitations.
Remember it was half an hour after sunset and very little skylight to illuminate the ground.

Then I took my bike home and changed to the Fury 6,5x32. When looking through it in the forest, it gave the impression of being brighter than reality.
It was now so dark that it was very hard to focus, but I could identify stones, sticks, leaves and debris a lot easier than with the naked eye.

Think I've found my ideal combination. I will not hasten to find a 7x42 or similar, because the 4,9 mm exit pupil of the Fury proved to be sufficient in extremely dim light situations. Probably an NVD would be the next step, rather than a heavy, great exit pupil bin.

But what really struck me is how extraordinary performance the 10x32 FL exhibits.
To me, it is absolutely obvious that I need no other 10x bin, unless for astronomy.
The sweet spot is absolutely sufficient for birding and I couldn't notice any edge sharpness deterioration while birding.
That said, it is there, but not to an objectionable degree.

//L

Well, it looks like you have reached bino nirvana and have ended the cycle of bino Samara buying and selling. Congratulations! and say hello to Buddha for me! -:)

Btw, are you located in the Arctic Circle? Sunset at 10 p.m.? I see the sun rose today at 3:34 AM in Stockholm. Hope you don't have any roosters! :)

Brock

Looksharp65,
I like mine, too, especially since I started wearing contact lenses. I sold my 10xSE's after I got the Zeiss. Great binos, but ER is pretty short. Congrats!
David

Well, it looks like you have reached bino nirvana and have ended the cycle of bino Samara buying and selling. Congratulations! and say hello to Buddha for me! -:) Brock

Thanks! Buddha's away looking for a bin as well :t:

Btw, are you located in the Arctic Circle? Sunset at 10 p.m.? I see the sun rose today at 3:34 AM in Stockholm. Hope you don't have any roosters! :)

Brock

No roosters but a Thrush Nightingale singing endlessly day and night.
I'm 1050 km from the Arctic Circle and 1300 km from Venice, Italy.
It's the same latitude as Scotland.
Scandinavia is very nice this time of the year but not really in the winter.

Looksharp65,
I like mine, too, especially since I started wearing contact lenses. I sold my 10xSE's after I got the Zeiss. Great binos, but ER is pretty short. Congrats!
David

Thanks! I'm surprised to hear that because this is a usual problem for me.
The usable ER is not bad at all because the eye cups are very flat when collapsed. It is a little bit better with contacts, but not significantly - I'm perfectly content with using spectacles as well.

//L

I just realized it was your posts about contact lenses that had me go back to wearing them. I got the BL lenses you recommended for astigmatism and they are great. Thank you! I had given up 20 years ago when I could only wear them for about 4 hours comfortably. I much prefer binoculars with the lenses, and the Zeiss worked for me with only one set of glasses frames that fit very close. I have saved them, obviously. I really love those binoculars.
David

I just realized it was your posts about contact lenses that had me go back to wearing them. I got the BL lenses you recommended for astigmatism and they are great. Thank you! I had given up 20 years ago when I could only wear them for about 4 hours comfortably. I much prefer binoculars with the lenses, and the Zeiss worked for me with only one set of glasses frames that fit very close. I have saved them, obviously. I really love those binoculars.
David

Thanks jacquot! Very pleased to hear this :t:
Even I have found perfect contacts that I can use all day without even noticing them. If I had had these before, I might have kept my Minox HG 8x33.

But the Zeiss is incredible - its AFOV seems to be quite similar to my Swift Newport 10x50 Mk II. (specs say 420 ft/1000 yds, but it is about 395 ft and it has clearly less magnification than my other 10x bins)
I tried both in deep dusk too. The Victory showed more and brighter details! :-O. Even though the Swift is only coated it has a 244% larger aperture...

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back