• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nearly no Zeiss FLs on ebay (1 Viewer)

xfrostx

As the title says. I'm just wondering why there's no auctions for used Zeiss Fl Victory most of the time on ebay. These are one of the 3 top binocular producers but they seem to be nonexistent. Any ideas why? People think Victory binoculars are worse? Or maybe 0 advertising from zeiss and few people got the victory line??

As the title says. I'm just wondering why there's no auctions for used Zeiss Fl Victory most of the time on ebay. These are one of the 3 top binocular producers but they seem to be nonexistent. Any ideas why? People think Victory binoculars are worse? Or maybe 0 advertising from zeiss and few people got the victory line??

It's because people hold on to them because they LIKE them! You have to watch the auctions real close because they go fast. I just bought a Zeiss 8x56 FL Lotutec BNIB for $1275.00(shipped) and a like new Zeiss 8x32 FL Non-Lotutec for $1100.00(shipped). Pretty good prices on both when you consider retail is around $1900.00 although you can get demos for about $1500.00(Eagle Optics,Cameraland). The value of Zeiss binoculars appreciates unlike Japanese makes. You buy one today and it worth more when you sell it. Swarovisions especially the 8.5x42's are HOT on E-bay but I have seen them going for as little as $1700.00 BNIB. Good buy when you consider retail is $2300.00 but they are holding their value pretty well since they are the latest and greatest.

A non hunter myself, I see no hunters, and in my sparsely populated neck of the woods, so few birders that my statistics are poor. But, as for alpha binoculars around necks, I have seen a few dozen Swarovskis, one Leica, and one Zeiss. I think Swaro is killing everybody in alpha sport optics. They need to, lacking the industrial, medical, and photography wings which are serious money for Z and L.
Ron

Actually, there's nothing special about Zeiss FLs in this regard. If you look on eBay for ANY of the top models, be they Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, or Nikon, you will find very, very few selling used, or at a really attractive price. For example, take a look for "Nikon (Premier,LXL,LX L) Bino*" or "Leica (BR,BL,HD) Bino*" You will almost never see a used one, or even a new one selling for less than, say, Eagle Optics or CameraLand. Be very suspicious of anything that looks like it's too good to be true — because it usually is.

Ed

Last edited:
A non hunter myself, I see no hunters, and in my sparsely populated neck of the woods, so few birders that my statistics are poor. But, as for alpha binoculars around necks, I have seen a few dozen Swarovskis, one Leica, and one Zeiss. I think Swaro is killing everybody in alpha sport optics. They need to, lacking the industrial, medical, and photography wings which are serious money for Z and L.
Ron

Ron,

Did you forget about Swarovski crystals? That's where they make most of their money.

Ed

Ron

Alot of birders out here use Zeiss and Leicas ,as well as, Swarovski's. I would say it is about even on the alpha brands.

Frost:

Not as many listed, and that probably does translate to units sold.
You can find them, but volume does dictate the resale market.
And you may be right, there are other better choices than the Zeiss.
I have found that out myself, as I have tried them.

Jerry

Frost:

Not as many listed, and that probably does translate to units sold.
You can find them, but volume does dictate the resale market.
And you may be right, there are other better choices than the Zeiss.
I have found that out myself, as I have tried them.

Jerry

I have tried alot of different binoculars and I keep coming back to Zeiss. They just do alot of things well overall for me. They are not perfect but closer than any other binocular I have found.

It's because people hold on to them because they LIKE them! You have to watch the auctions real close because they go fast. I just bought a Zeiss 8x56 FL Lotutec BNIB for $1275.00(shipped) and a like new Zeiss 8x32 FL Non-Lotutec for $1100.00(shipped). Pretty good prices on both when you consider retail is around $1900.00 although you can get demos for about $1500.00(Eagle Optics,Cameraland). The value of Zeiss binoculars appreciates unlike Japanese makes. You buy one today and it worth more when you sell it. Swarovisions especially the 8.5x42's are HOT on E-bay but I have seen them going for as little as $1700.00 BNIB. Good buy when you consider retail is $2300.00 but they are holding their value pretty well since they are the latest and greatest.

You're kidding about the appreciation, right? Every time you find a mint, used FL T Zeiss on ebay they sell for not much over $1000. Retail is over twice that much. Where's the appreciation? If you really believe that you need to invest about $10,000 in Zeiss Victory's and make some money.

But I can remember thinking about getting a salesman's 8x42FL from camera land a couple of years ago that was $799. Took too long thinking about it. They would sell for over $1000 now.

Same with the others demo priced bins bought at around the time the LT bins came in. They increased then have gone steady in price. With the LT version price inflation that has dragged up the expected secondhand price a bit.

So not quite appreciation but a smart buy can do it: the top bins have increased in secondhand sales price.

A similar sort of thing happened with the ELs too at their "initial" price which is now the current secondhand price. Not bad but I think we've got past the appreciation bubble: the top end prices can't continue to inflate like they have.

Last edited:
You're kidding about the appreciation, right? Every time you find a mint, used FL T Zeiss on ebay they sell for not much over $1000. Retail is over twice that much. Where's the appreciation? If you really believe that you need to invest about $10,000 in Zeiss Victory's and make some money.

Ever Zeiss I have bought and sold I have made money on it. Of course I buy low on E-bay or Astromart and then sell for higher. You can't make any money if you pay retail. I NEVER pay retail. I bought a Zeiss 10x42 FL for $900.00 and sold it for $1100.00 about 6 months later. I also bought a Zeiss 8x32 FL for $950.00 and just sold it for $1300.00 after having it for about a year. I just bought a LNIB Zeiss 8x32 FL for $1100.00 and a new Zeiss 8x56 FL for $1275.00 and I am sure I will make money on both if I sell them. If you buy high quality alphas especially German they will most likely appreciate with time. The Swarovision's are beginning to come down in price to where you might pick one up for about $1500.00 now.

More power to you, but that's not appreciation, that's called being a smart buyer. I'm betting those weren't brand new either. Demo, "like new" ,etc still isn't new. The way I see it, you sold a 10x FL for $1100....that's a $900 loss from retail $$, and a $400+ loss from Camerland's fantastic price on a brand new FL of $1499. That's depreciation. Anyone who pays full retail for high priced euro or Nikon stuff ought to have their head examined. I bought a NIB Swaro SLC HD for $1470 delivered about a month ago.

Yep everythings new. There so good no one wants to sell them. Why would they, they are still top performers.

I'm still debating if I should sell my 8x30 Conquest or 8x32FL, both in perfect condition. Probably will sell the conquest but they've gone up $200 dollars since I bought them! (More accurately the US dollar has lost about that much purchasing power.)

A year ago I sold my 8x32 ELs on FleaBay for $1175 and turned around and stole a brand new pair of Zeiss Victory T* FL for $1325 shipped. I'm sure I could get my money out of them but I may have them buried with me instead - I drool everytime I look thru them.

Yep everythings new. There so good no one wants to sell them. Why would they, they are still top performers.

I'm still debating if I should sell my 8x30 Conquest or 8x32FL, both in perfect condition. Probably will sell the conquest but they've gone up $200 dollars since I bought them! (More accurately the US dollar has lost about that much purchasing power.)

I would sell the Conquest. The market is right for them now. The FL's will continue to appreciate. The FL's being Zeiss's Flagship will continue to appreciate.

More power to you, but that's not appreciation, that's called being a smart buyer. I'm betting those weren't brand new either. Demo, "like new" ,etc still isn't new. The way I see it, you sold a 10x FL for $1100....that's a $900 loss from retail $$, and a $400+ loss from Camerland's fantastic price on a brand new FL of $1499. That's depreciation. Anyone who pays full retail for high priced euro or Nikon stuff ought to have their head examined. I bought a NIB Swaro SLC HD for $1470 delivered about a month ago.

I agree you have to be stupid to buy retail. But it is still appreciation in a way because the market drives the price of the used stuff up. It is also supply and demand. You wait to sell your used stuff when the supply is low and the demand is high. Makes sense right.

Talking of Zeiss retail prices I get the impression that UK prices have fallen. A pair of 10x42 FLs are now around £1250. I think they had been around £1400+. Now significantly cheaper than the other alpha rivals.

Well I still think that this is due to worse advertising on the Zeiss part and maybe the appearance? Swaro Els or Ultravids look and feel both better than "plasticky" Fls. Maybe that's the reason? Optically only Swaro SV look better than Fls, with that edge sharpness. When comparing the prices, Fls are on average 200-300 quid cheaper than SV and ultravids hd. Having said that, I got rid of my 10x56 Fls, for mere 1050, now I'm starting to regret that choice. But hey I still got my 7x42 Fls :D

Hasn't Zeiss (in recent times) been generally priced below Leica and Swaro?

It's also the oldest design of the top four now but first to get ED objectives.

Size might also be an issue in some peoples choice. The FLs are slightly longer size compared to the Leica but the 42mm FL and 42mm Swarovision are almost exactly the same height (objective to ocular). Perhaps it's the placement of the focus (a bit further away from the user) that some people don't like making them feel it's not balanced. The natural way to grab the bin gives that impression but if you but your hands in the "right place" the FLs are balanced too.

One should also point out the FL is noticeably (2oz but you can feel it!) than the Swarovision too though the optics of the SV make up for that ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back