• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who knows their bits? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
A bit genius? Cropped to tax, not too tricky (bar one perhaps) ...no clues as to where at this stage

Attachments

• Bits1.jpg
    Bits1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Bits2.jpg
    Bits2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Bits3.jpg
    Bits3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Bits4.jpg
    Bits4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 163
1)Looks like a Kite.I'll try Red Kite
2)Crane (I thought of Great Egret but toes look long...Wicked claws too...*ouch*)
3)I think terns have webbed legs and have forked tails(most do).This one dosen't seem to do.I'll say white Feral Pigeon.
4)I'll agree with Blackstart and say Stork

(midsize raptor) marsh harrier, (large scolopacidae) blackwit, (commic tern) common tern, white stork.

So far,
photo no.1 - no one has correctly named
photo no.2 - out of the two guesses, one is correct
photo no.3 - no one has correctly named
photo no.4 - congratulations to Blackstart, Dimitris and Jurek - it is a White Stork. Attached is the full size photo, taken this week.

Attachments

• WhiteStork-thumb.jpg
    WhiteStork-thumb.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Go on then I'll make a parus of myself (no books to check - that's my excuse)

1 Lesser Spotted eagle
2 Black tailed godwit
3 Black tern
4 Hybrid domestic duck?? (Or white stork)

GV

Last edited:
moose1991 said:
Maybe Jos is out Birding,wish I was.

Ha, got it one, out birding I was! Light and sunny til well past 10 p.m. these days and it sure makes up for the many months of snow and minus 25! Few Phalaropes, calling Corncrakes and etc this weekend,

So, for the answers ...

Not all that's big in the wing is a raptor - photo one was the one that caught most people out, so congratulations to Blackstart and Reader in identifying this one, snapped on my land, it is one of the Cranes breeding on my land!

All photos taken in the last couple of weeks,

1. Crane
2. Black-tailed Godwit
3. White-winged Black Tern
4. White Stork

Attachments

• Crane-thumb.jpg
    Crane-thumb.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Blackwit-thumb.jpg
    Blackwit-thumb.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 128
  • WhiteStork-thumb.jpg
    WhiteStork-thumb.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 83
  • wwTern-thumb2.jpg
    wwTern-thumb2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back