• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tilley Hats.. Comments please (1 Viewer)

egret3

Hi everyone:

At first, it seemed only birders were
wearing these Tilley hats. Now, lots
of people have jumped on the bandwagon.

I priced these last week down at our Harbourfront
at the Tilley Store.. and they start upwards of
about $80.00 plus tax.

What do you people think? Do you wear one?
I can readily see they are very well made, not
flimsy.

Are they not a bit too hot for right now?

Was Tilley a birdwatcher?

Last edited:
There is a perception, NOT MINE I HASTEN TO ADD, that anyone wearing a Tilley hat isn't a serious birder.

Trevor?......

Whats a tilley hat? I know bird guides often recomend wearing hat to hide your eyes. I usually like wearing my bush hat and shoe polished face

Tilley hats

Tilley hats ARE often considered sort of uncool by real birders, including me; but having won one in a big day competition, I wear it pretty much all the time now. Of course, I make good and sure it's as dirty and as obviously abused as possible, lest I be mistaken for one of those who think LLBean and the latest Austrian glass are all it takes to be a birder. But I must admit that it's surprisingly lightweight and does a great job of keeping the sun from my already addling pate; it's also rumored to be water-repellent, which is interesting in only an abstract, intellectual sort of way to those of us enduring June in southeast Arizona.
Rick Wright
Tucson.

Hi everyone:

I am back.. well .. interesting comments here.

Can tell you .. I have seen them
at Point Pelee and other birding spots
here.. and often when out.. see birders wearing them
they all look pretty serious to me.. They are
very durable.

Anyhoo.. I can't afford one right now
tried one on .. my goodness. they have
so many styles..
I just wear a cap for now.. don't go out
in the real heat. Definitely, later on
will get one though. I am allergice to sun
and require good coverage. I also like them.

Rick:

Bet they are a lot cheaper in U.S.
LL Bean.. bean there..(sp))) :)
pricey stuff though.. some of it.
also, nice place for hats anyone from US
listening in here is: The Kittery OUtlet .. MAINE
The Trading Post.. wow what a spot that is

Last edited:
I've had my Tilley for at least 10 years now, and I got it originally for wearing on pelagic birding and whale watching trips because if it should ever blow off, the silly thing floats! And I can attest that they do.

I rarely wear any kind of hat birding, except when it's really cold, so it doesn't get as much wear as I'm sure it deserves for its price ($65 back then). But I love it and I don't give a rat's pajamas what it says about me or my birding proclivities on either side of the pond. So there! ;) ;) ;)

Seems to me the main advantage for the Tilley is that it comes in a range of sizes. Since I've got a rather large head and even the XL hats and one size fits all adjustable don't fit well, I know that a Tilley 7 7/8 will fit perfectly. I don't know of another hat that will do that and out in 100 degree heat with the sun burning down you definitely need something.

Hi David:

ahh... too true re the sizes
I noticed that too
and like the idea.

Hi Katy: v. interesting.. I go on Whale Watch as well
at Bar Harbour.. so.. another reason to have one.
$65.00 .. some were even more than $80.00
but didn't look at all of them. The gals who sold
them were wearing them, but it seems they are trying
to dress them up.. they had added a material flower to
one of the styles. Wonder what the underwear and socks are
like..

I deal with people every day.. who
face great medical challenges
so my priorities are really in order
It is a blessing to be here
No matter what type of hat

We are just lucky to be wearing one!
Believe me.

tks everyone.. enjoyed the input..

Last edited:
Tilley hats are superb: they stay on your head, shield the sun effectively and are guaranteed with replacement if they blow off or fall apart.

Anyone who judges birders' abilities by what's on their head needs theirs seeing to.

Having a laugh birding is much better than being serious about it – and funnier.

What an interesting subject! I'd never heard of Tilley hat 'till now. Personally I have about 5 baseball caps which I wear for birding, one at a time of course, which are great for keeping the sun out of my face but not ideal as the tops of my ears occasionally burn and they lift off in high wind, the caps not my ears.

I have even been know to wear it the wrong way round to avoid hitting my video camera with the peak....Who cares???

Being pretty bald (not pretty & bald) mine does a good job of keeping the sun off in the so called English summer. Chin strap is useful too in any sort of wind. It stops it being blown into any passing elephants throat, if that advert is true about the hat passing through the animal's intestines.

Hi.. to additional posters

One thing you people could tell me..
Tilly Wearers that is:
How do you clean the hat..
just wondered..

Here is another type of b/w hat. I do not
care for it as much.

http://thenaturestore.com/zz3931.htm

I have quite a sense of humour so.
to go birding with me.. that is not to say
Im making noise and laughing..
but.. Life is meant to be enjoyed and have fun

T'is so fleeting.

Last edited:
My missus is trying to get me into one, still not convinced (no comment from you CJW) I'm sticking with my M & S one for now thought I've lately become a "Buff" convert. (Just to keep the sun off you understand)

Stewart

B :)

The vast majority of folks I see wearing these are what I consider "Tourists". I believe an equivalent British birding perspective would be "dude with a passport". That being said, they are very durable and well made.

Well, then what do they say for ladies
wearing the Tilley Hat.? we are not Dudes..

Stewart: GO for it. You wife has the right idea.. LOL

:)))

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back