• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

I have a pass out for a silly o'clock visit to Strid Woods, having missed last weeks trip.

Stupid question time, but where's the best place to park, as I assume the normal car parks won't be open at that time.

Cheers,

Richard

Either Barden Bridge car park and walk down the river to the Strid, or take the Storiths Road, v sharp right hand bend just up the hill from the Barden Bridge car park going towards Appletreewick, park in the large lay-by just before Laund House, where the very large, very old oak tree is. We had redstart from this lay-by Richard. Walk downhill from lay-by to reach the river by the Valley of Desolation

Park at the layby, walk up the road towards Barden Bridge, a few pairs of Redstart along the roadside and very good views.

Hop over the first gate on your left and follow the track down until you get to the path, this will be by the stone hut.

Turn left for about 20yds you should hear/see wood warbler on your left. Pied Flycatcher also at this point. Green Woodpecker very vociferous around there. Garden Warbler singing loudly last week.

Back to stone hut and feed the birds, robin and coal tit ridiculously tame at this point.

Go past the hut, plenty more opportunities for Pied Fly.

Target birds in the bag, enjoy your morning!

Had a look for the local gropper this morning to no avail but was rewarded with barn owl, a nice wheatear, lesser whitethroat and some lapwing chicks.
Afternoon cycle to Swillington Ings had avocets, LRP, RP, whimbrels, yellow wags, a lingering pink footed goose and the usual stuff. Fox seen on the opposite side of Astley Lake.

Three Purple Herons in East Yorks two at Patrington Haven one at Tophill Low present two days.

The Welwick bird was probably present Thursday evening, one of the farm guys told me yesterday he had had a heron with snakie neck and brown head not like the grey things in haven drain on Thurday evening.

Have both purps at Welwick been seen at some time by any one.

Thanks Jim & Keith for the directions for this morning. Had a cracking couple of hours in Strid Woods from about 6.15 until about 8.30 this morning, most of the time I was there on my own. Did come across a couple of other birders near the shelter later on.

Got the birds I was hoping for - Pied Fly, Wood Warbler & Redstart. In addition had a couple of Tawny Owls, Dipper feeding young, Treecreeper, Great, Blue & Long Tailed Tit, Willow Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Pheasant & Red Legged Partridge (not sure if the latter was a escapee from one of the local farms though)

Crappy record shot of a Pied Fly attached. Note to self though, go two weeks earlier next year.

Attachments

• Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Managed to pin down some tricky migrants with both woodlark and cuckoo found saturday morning. Looking forward now to a trip to Boat of Garten to see some of the Scottish specialities.

Mark.

Went with the family to Bolton Woods, heard Pied Fly, Redstart and Wood Warbler. Didn't stop to view any though - had promised not to get bins or camera out of bag unless I saw something special ...

Attachments

• IMG_4779.JPG
    IMG_4779.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 127
The Welwick bird was probably present Thursday evening, one of the farm guys told me yesterday he had had a heron with snakie neck and brown head not like the grey things in haven drain on Thurday evening.

Have both purps at Welwick been seen at same time by any one.

Hi Andy, after hearing that the Purple Heron was still present on Sunday morning i drove out to Welwick and walked out to view the ditch where it was last reported but there was no sign of the bird. After a while i recieved a phone call from a couple of friends to say they had accidently flushed the bird as they walked down the west side of the main Patrington Channel. After a while the bird again flew over channel and Welwick Saltmarsh and started to circle to the South East of the saltmarsh, at was at this point that i switched from watching with bins to using the scope. I quickly located the bird and started watching it, at this point Rich Willison stated to the other birders present (c6) that the bird was being mobbed by a couple of corvids which was odd as the Purple Heron i was watching was clearly on it's own! After switching between both birds it was clear that there WERE indeed two Purple Heron's circling in the air at the same time c300yards apart eventually one drifted off to the South East towards Spurn and was lost to view and not seen again, but the other returned to the Welwick Saltmarsh area and was seen several more times in flight and a couple of times on the ground.
Gary Dayes.

Did a nice walk yesterday from Hebden (near grassington) up the gill and over the tops to the reservoir and back down to hebden. Lots of waders up at the small resevoir but only stayed for about 5 minutes, saw 2 dunlins, a pair of redshanks, and a large number of lapwings. The rest of the day I saw two pairs of grey wagtails, two chaffinches, 1 greenfinch, black headed gull, common sandpiper and plenty of house martins by the village.

Had a quite unproductive Purple Heron weekend :-C

Saw the Birdguides message at around 7.30pm on Saturday night - phoned my nephew and the two of us headed off to Welwick. We parked up and walked along to the group of birders who were stood on the top of the drain ......... as we got there they started packing up and told us we'd missed it by 2 mins !!

Sunday afternoon saw several Birdguides messages, so went for it again. Walked to the drain I'd seen the birders on Saturday night - walked along that until where it almost meets the drain at Patrington Haven ...... no sign

Walked back and met up with a birder who had been watching it down a different drain - but it had headed off towards Pat Haven

We drove off to Patrington Haven and wandered along the drain there - no sign of the Heron. We did see a Heron in flight ..... but sadly a Grey !

I did manage to add Cuckoo and Brent Goose to my year list, so not all a waste

Mal Skelton

Spent a couple of hours myself searching for the Heron yesterday,was on my way back to the car when alerted by another birder that he a found the Heron back in the main ditch where it showed well catching the odd fish before moving round the bend and out of sight,it was then flushed by some other birders who had just arrived and flew further down the ditch but was still viewable.

Mal,

The bird was present again today. If it helps, I had it along the main drain until it flushed, and landed in the main part of the saltmarsh. It watched us move away from the drain until we were at a safe distance, when it flew up back towards the drain. It favoured the area right on the bend of the drain, showing well at times.
You were unlucky the other day it seems.

cheers,

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back