• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon powershot A1100 IS and Canon 590 Is any good for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Hi ,Is the canon powershot A1100 IS good for digiscoping? How about the Canon powershot 590 IS? Both with the Kowa 773 and 25x and 20-60 zoom. Kevin

The A590 WAS good choices 2-3yrs ago as it was one of the few low cost cameras that had adapter lens threads. But Canon has made large improvents to their LCD and processing engine since it was released. I guess it would be OK if you could still get a new one for $30-40.

Despite being a current model, the A1100 still shares the same crappy LCD. The lens at 140mm is now too long for digiscoping unless you can build an adapter that can telescope in/out as the lens moves. Hard to do since the camera lacks lens adapter threads.

I have the Kowa 883 and use/recommend the Panny FX150 if you can still find one. If not I think your best choices will be the Sony W300 or new WX1 and the Canon S90. If you had the 25x LER eyepiece the new Casio FC150 or FC100 would rock for its cool shooting features. Kowa even makes a custom TSN-DA100 adapter for it.

cheers,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back