• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weigh-hey! (1 Viewer)

David FG

The Big Dipper
A first for me.

I have just got my first Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochrurus) in my garden.

Seen them in other places, but this one is special.

[strolling around with a smug grin.]

Congratulations David

I have yet to see my first Black Redstart anywhere - never mind the garden!

Yours not jealous at all ;)

Not had one this year ;)... mind you I do have a sea front garden and I have run whooping around the house in a most unbecoming fashion whenever I see one!

David FG said:
They are (reasonably) frequent around here - they are getting commoner.

Great garden tick! I've seen one at the bottom of my road twice since Christmas so live in hope that it will fly up and say hello soon.

The best I've managed this year is a Little Egret (which my next door neighbour says is now visting most days, and has named Edith after the French singer who didn't have any). I can't be too smug though, as the local paper reported a Spoonbill in a garden in Herne last week...

Regards Richard

Richard D said:
Great garden tick! I've seen one at the bottom of my road twice since Christmas so live in hope that it will fly up and say hello soon.

The best I've managed this year is a Little Egret (which my next door neighbour says is now visting most days, and has named Edith after the French singer who didn't have any). I can't be too smug though, as the local paper reported a Spoonbill in a garden in Herne last week...

Regards Richard

I hope you are suitably ashamed of that 'Egret' joke! (I did see the report of the Spoonbill, by the way.)

David FG said:
I hope you are suitably ashamed of that 'Egret' joke! (I did see the report of the Spoonbill, by the way.)

I cannot take credit for the joke, but I fully accept the blame for posting my neighbours joke :bounce: . I've yet to get to see a Spoonbill, I seem to keep missing them, but I don't spend as much time out at Oare as I would like.

I do like Black Redstarts they've got smartness, colour yet subtlety. I keep hoping that one of the local Stonechats will visit soon. The snow temporarily brought in Yellowhammers but a male Stonechat would be great in the garden.

Richard

I made that comment a bit tongue in cheek. Many years ago, when I was but a callow youth, still AD not BC, they were building the merrow Estates at Guildford. I moved on to one of the new houses and the garden was full of building rubbish. The first bird of note was a Black Redstart. Unfortunately I was at work and missed it.

David FG said:
I accept your 'regrets' for that awful joke.

(You do know that I am teasing you, don't you?)

I do ;)

Going back to the Spoonbill, I now here it's a probable escapee. I'll settle for a genuine wild Little Egret rather than an escaped Spoonbill o:)

I suspect the Black Redstart I've been seeing is just a wintering bird but I guess there's a chance they're breeding in the Faversham area. Of course much of Faversham if not exactly a bomb site was Gunpowder works...

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back